Another 5.2L YJ thread - Page 12 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #166 of 231 Old 10-27-2013, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Xpress
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Great Big Box
Posts: 5,929
Garage
Well here we are, months later, and the YJ is still a pile of parts

The ZJ is running good though, which I guess is important because I need that engine to be reliable. I think when DST kicks back in next year I will begin tearing the ZJ apart and begin preparations to transfer the engine in. Still need my trans and accompanying clutch components..


All about that unibody life.
Xpress is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #167 of 231 Old 10-27-2013, 11:27 AM
skyj
Web Wheeler
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena
Posts: 4,164
Glad to see an update good luck! My 5.2 swap is going to take a while also.

build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is offline  
post #168 of 231 Old 10-27-2013, 11:57 AM
remmons
Web Wheeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vernal
Posts: 2,787
Garage
Looking forward to the project!

Robert.
remmons is offline  
post #169 of 231 Old 10-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Hoxie
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boise
Posts: 1,177
Garage
Sub'd up! Im in the same spot man, just a pile of parts waiting on funds to pick up so I can finish it. To bad your not 8 hours closer so we could dial them in together. I feel like mine is never going to end.
Hoxie is offline  
post #170 of 231 Old 10-27-2013, 08:11 PM
SunDevilJeeper
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Buckeye, AZ
Posts: 3,224
I'm still waiting on the guy who is doing my welding to get done. Everything was supposed to be done weeks ago.

Once he finally finishes all that up, I can start moving forward with this **** again.

1991 YJ: Daily Driver
1992 YJ: Pile of crap sitting in the garage.
SunDevilJeeper is offline  
post #171 of 231 Old 10-27-2013, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Xpress
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Great Big Box
Posts: 5,929
Garage
I think I'm going to find my own welder and do everything myself. I have plenty of time to practice...

I'd feel better knowing I did everything myself.

I drove the ZJ again tonight (right now it's basically just an offroad toy, expired tags) and noticed the battery was very low, it barely started and kept stalling every now and then. Once it charged up everything was fine, I hope whatever is sucking on the battery goes away when I gut the Jeep...

All about that unibody life.
Xpress is offline  
post #172 of 231 Old 10-28-2013, 01:14 AM
SunDevilJeeper
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Buckeye, AZ
Posts: 3,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
I think I'm going to find my own welder and do everything myself. I have plenty of time to practice...

I'd feel better knowing I did everything myself.

I drove the ZJ again tonight (right now it's basically just an offroad toy, expired tags) and noticed the battery was very low, it barely started and kept stalling every now and then. Once it charged up everything was fine, I hope whatever is sucking on the battery goes away when I gut the Jeep...
It was either save up $3000 for the welder I want, or pay out roughly $1000 to have all my stuff welded. I already bought all the parts a long time ago, I just needed to weld them. One idiot who I used to work with proved to be one of the most unreliable people I've ever met, so I said **** it and paid a guy who just started an off road business. Dude's welds are , worth it if you ask me.

But yeah, agreed, I'm buying either a Lincoln or Miller 240 amp MIG and doing everything myself sometime in the near future. Not because I don't trust the guy or anything like that, kind of a pride thing more or less.

1991 YJ: Daily Driver
1992 YJ: Pile of crap sitting in the garage.
SunDevilJeeper is offline  
post #173 of 231 Old 10-28-2013, 08:21 AM
skyj
Web Wheeler
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena
Posts: 4,164
Not trying to derail this thread or start a debate here, but learning to weld will probably be one of the best investments any jeeper can do to his/her jeep. I think anyone who wants to modify their jeep should learn to weld (sort of an unwritten oath). I self taught myself growing up on our ranch with an old Lincoln tombstone welder.A few years later I picked up a cheapy 110v mig welder and experimented with that.

Two years ago when I was doing my 8.8 swap I shelled out the cash for a Lincoln 180 mig welder. What a difference a good welder can make, I went from making decent welds to them looking real good. Im no expert by any means and always say im going to take a night class at the local college and learn to really weld, but I am so glad I spent the money I use it for everything even make some money off of it now and then. Once again not trying to derail and get a big debate going on welders.

build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is offline  
post #174 of 231 Old 10-28-2013, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Xpress
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Great Big Box
Posts: 5,929
Garage
I've been kinda keeping my eyes/ears open for an inexpensive Lincoln on craigslist. Figured I'd rather save up and buy a name brand model rather than investing into some cheap POS.

All about that unibody life.
Xpress is offline  
post #175 of 231 Old 10-28-2013, 10:59 AM
skyj
Web Wheeler
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena
Posts: 4,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
I've been kinda keeping my eyes/ears open for an inexpensive Lincoln on craigslist. Figured I'd rather save up and buy a name brand model rather than investing into some cheap POS.
Yep the best advice I can give is get a Lincoln, hobart, or miller and a minimum of 180 amps and you will never regret it.

build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is offline  
post #176 of 231 Old 10-28-2013, 12:48 PM
remmons
Web Wheeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vernal
Posts: 2,787
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Yep the best advice I can give is get a Lincoln, hobart, or miller and a minimum of 180 amps and you will never regret it.
X2. I use to own a Hobart Handler 180 ten years ago, until it had gotten stolen. Best little welder that I have ever had. I currently own a Craftsman 180, but it isn't quite the machine that the Hobart was.

Robert.
remmons is offline  
post #177 of 231 Old 10-28-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Xpress
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Great Big Box
Posts: 5,929
Garage
DAMMIT... Went to go hop in the ZJ and do some shenanigans in the rain and the thing barely cranked, then promptly stopped cranking... Thinking I might need new battery terminals, these ones are junk.

EDIT: Took the 7 months old battery to AutoZone and they exchanged the POS Valuecraft with a dead cell with a Duralast, which has a better warranty and is less expensive. The refunded $$ bought me new marine grade battery terminals and put some change in my pocket

All about that unibody life.
Xpress is offline  
post #178 of 231 Old 10-28-2013, 07:26 PM
SunDevilJeeper
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Buckeye, AZ
Posts: 3,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Not trying to derail this thread or start a debate here, but learning to weld will probably be one of the best investments any jeeper can do to his/her jeep. I think anyone who wants to modify their jeep should learn to weld (sort of an unwritten oath). I self taught myself growing up on our ranch with an old Lincoln tombstone welder.A few years later I picked up a cheapy 110v mig welder and experimented with that.

Two years ago when I was doing my 8.8 swap I shelled out the cash for a Lincoln 180 mig welder. What a difference a good welder can make, I went from making decent welds to them looking real good. Im no expert by any means and always say im going to take a night class at the local college and learn to really weld, but I am so glad I spent the money I use it for everything even make some money off of it now and then. Once again not trying to derail and get a big debate going on welders.
Yeah I don't think you're really going to get an argument out of anybody here about that one, buddy! We can all agree with what you said.

1991 YJ: Daily Driver
1992 YJ: Pile of crap sitting in the garage.
SunDevilJeeper is offline  
post #179 of 231 Old 10-28-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Xpress
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Great Big Box
Posts: 5,929
Garage
Hey stop arguing in my threads










All about that unibody life.
Xpress is offline  
post #180 of 231 Old 10-28-2013, 08:33 PM
SunDevilJeeper
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Buckeye, AZ
Posts: 3,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Hey stop arguing in my threads









It's ok if we argue in here as long as we argue like Canadians!

1991 YJ: Daily Driver
1992 YJ: Pile of crap sitting in the garage.
SunDevilJeeper is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome