AngryTJs Taranchula Rubicon Build - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > AngryTJs Taranchula Rubicon Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 12-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #226
krashnpa
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevKaos View Post
So do mine. I put like 4 washers behind the steering stops but still get a bit of rub. I might have to consider some spacers instead, but I worry about the cops giving me a hard time when my tires stick out to far from under the flares.
Lowering the offset puts one heck of strain on the unit bearings too...

krashnpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #227
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So using the washers behind the steering stops is a bad idea? Guess I need some spacers as well huh?

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]RED JEEP CLUB # 621[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
It's not much, but check out my build thread;
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kevkaoss-05-red-rubicon-build-thread-1170741/[/url]
[QUOTE=krashnpa;12397572] I know kev was riding his tank skid and belly pretty good on some of the blacks up at RC, but he doesn't back down from the line either.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=squazz;13612008]so I use my original nuts?[/QUOTE]

You should, in no way, take any of this personally. It's just business. So to recap, I come in peace, I mean you no harm, and you all will die. Gallaxhar out.
KevKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #228
krashnpa
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevKaos View Post
So using the washers behind the steering stops is a bad idea? Guess I need some spacers as well huh?
Negative, Ghostrider, washers are fine, just increases turning radius - can't use it when you're putting your tires into your LCAs anyway. When you put spacers on your axles it changes the location of the wheel essentially from a positive to a negative offset. So if stock backspacing is 4.75" (or whatever it is) and you add a 1.5 inch spacer, the backspacing is now 3.25", which changes the fulcrum point and increases leverage on the axle. Adding spacers in the back is not as bad as the front. The unit bearings are more susceptible to damage from aggressive backspacing.

For instance - If the wheel is 8 inches wide, and the backspacing is 4.75 then the offset is .75 postive - towards the outside of the wheel. If you add a 1.5 inch spacer, offset is negative 0.75, towards the hub. Zero offset on an 8 inch wheel is 4 inches of backspacing.

Some lifts require less backspacing so you don't rub tire. Trick is to only use what backspacing is necessary to keep arms from rubbing.
Unread 12-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #229
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Apparently mine needs alot because the thread I got the washer idea from said that usually only 2 washers (maybe 3) were needed to stop most rubbing. I'm at 4 on both side and still rub at full lock. Not as bad as it was before the washers though. Wonder if Lu is in the same boat.

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]RED JEEP CLUB # 621[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kevkaoss-05-red-rubicon-build-thread-1170741/[/url]
[QUOTE=krashnpa;12397572] I know kev was riding his tank skid and belly pretty good on some of the blacks up at RC, but he doesn't back down from the line either.[/QUOTE]

You should, in no way, take any of this personally. It's just business. So to recap, I come in peace, I mean you no harm, and you all will die. Gallaxhar out.
Unread 12-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #230
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think my head just exploded trying to comprehend this.

I know running spacers puts a bit more stress on the axle but couldnt pass up the deal and running 33s hopefully wont cause many issues.
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #231
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
I think my head just exploded trying to comprehend this.

I know running spacers puts a bit more stress on the axle but couldnt pass up the deal and running 33s hopefully wont cause many issues.
Yeah, thats how I feel everytime I talk to Ed about Jeeps.

Unread 12-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #232
krashnpa
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry! My wheels have 3.3175" backspacing. I still rub the clayton arms, but barely. But then again one of the reasons I am going to the D44r is to get away from replacing unit bearings. Cheap ones dont last, btw...

Here's a website, not jeep related, but explains that stuff well. Tire rack probably has good stuff too.

http://vw.zenseeker.net/Wheels-BoltPattern.htm
Unread 12-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #233
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ed I decided Im going to run just the rear longarm at first to save on cost so I can upgrade my steering as well as add some skids for protection. Not to mention Im not completely sold on the radius arms so Id rather spend the money elsewhere for now.
Unread 12-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #234
rockcrawlernut
2004 WJ 

WOW The Jeep's looking great!
[/CENTER][/SIZE][/FONT]

[CENTER][FONT="Impact"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-rock-dog-1284108/"]*--->Rockcrawlernut's Build Thread<---*[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
rockcrawlernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #235
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrawlernut View Post
WOW The Jeep's looking great!
Thanks
Unread 12-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #236
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Found this picture on TNT's website which Im completely obsessed with

This is exactly how I want my Jeep to look
rubi.jpg  
Unread 12-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #237
TeddyTurmoil
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Found this picture on TNT's website which Im completely obsessed with

This is exactly how I want my Jeep to look
Nice

www.arctic-air.co.uk
TeddyTurmoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #238
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, that's kinda what I have in mind as well, except I probably won't go larger than 33s, and those flares would nev be enough to be legal in MD.

Unread 12-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #239
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

My 33s are basically brand new (3000 miles) so I wont be upgrading to 35s anytime in the near future but I will eventually. Id love to buy the TNT fenders but those will have to hold off until I upgrade my skid plates and beef up my steering. Talking to a forum member that is going to sell me his Currie steering with Savvy Tie rod for $300 + shipping
Unread 12-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #240
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Talking to a forum member that is going to sell me his Currie steering with Savvy Tie rod for $300 + shipping
Damn you Wish I had found this first lol
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.