AngryTJs Taranchula Rubicon Build - Page 147 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > AngryTJs Taranchula Rubicon Build

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 07-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #2191
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

It is expensive. I did quite a bit of research since you posted in my thread the other day. Reids (500) would allow you to run larger GM stock brakes and lock outs (almost 500 for bearings, brakes, lock out and other parts) but you still have to do steering links (150+), high steer arms (300), and then figure out the track bar mount and all that. I am in a process of re-thinking everything.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #2192
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

And you're still stuck with a LP front axle, small ball joints and unit bearings, and a pretty flexible housing. I'm all about maximizing the axle that you're gonna run long-term and if that's it, go for it. But even using that methodology, it doesn't make sense to me......and I've thought good and hard about it way more than once. The gains are just not nearly worth the work, money spent, and resale value added if you decide to ever sell it.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #2193
rckchucker
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You just need to buy the axle I'm selling right now. HP 44, 1/2 wall tubes, arb, 4.56 gears, 63" wide, warn premium hubs, chromo shafts, ctms and ready to bolt into a TJ. Aaaaand I get really nice deals on shipping, so that wouldn't be a killer.
rckchucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #2194
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEcrawlerTJ01 View Post
Don't you already have vanco's?

If it were me I would run the savvy currie steering with Blaine's bolt on currie assist setup. It's easy and simple. Plus I'm pretty sure all you would have to buy is the brackets from Blaine plus everything needed for hydro assist

High steer. Crossover. Whatever you wanna call it is a waste of time IMO on factory axles. Not to mention if and or when you go bigger axles. Stock housings have a much better resale than custom ones. Ask anyone

That's my 2cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
DEFINITELY not worth it on that axle. Run Currie steering and put the tie rod on top of the driver's side knuckle. Run the Savvy tie rod if you want to get really fancy.

Save the Reids and $$ parts for an axle that will have higher limits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
It is expensive. I did quite a bit of research since you posted in my thread the other day. Reids (500) would allow you to run larger GM stock brakes and lock outs (almost 500 for bearings, brakes, lock out and other parts) but you still have to do steering links (150+), high steer arms (300), and then figure out the track bar mount and all that. I am in a process of re-thinking everything.
Quote:
And you're still stuck with a LP front axle, small ball joints and unit bearings, and a pretty flexible housing. I'm all about maximizing the axle that you're gonna run long-term and if that's it, go for it. But even using that methodology, it doesn't make sense to me......and I've thought good and hard about it way more than once. The gains are just not nearly worth the work, money spent, and resale value added if you decide to ever sell it.
My thought process behind considering this option despite already owning a Vanco kit, savvy tie rod, flip kit, and high clearance sway bar brackets is that I was thinking if it was possible to sell all of it and potentially do a custom steering and have enough money left over for hydro assist therefore not spending much out of pocket.

I also looked into the hydro assist on a currie steering but that would involve spending another $1500. It seems to be the consensus best approach but I just wanted to explore my options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckchucker View Post
You just need to buy the axle I'm selling right now. HP 44, 1/2 wall tubes, arb, 4.56 gears, 63" wide, warn premium hubs, chromo shafts, ctms and ready to bolt into a TJ. Aaaaand I get really nice deals on shipping, so that wouldn't be a killer.
Thanks for the offer but Ill be making the best of this one

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #2195
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
My thought process behind considering this option despite already owning a Vanco kit, savvy tie rod, flip kit, and high clearance sway bar brackets is that I was thinking if it was possible to sell all of it and potentially do a custom steering and have enough money left over for hydro assist therefore not spending much out of pocket.

I also looked into the hydro assist on a currie steering but that would involve spending another $1500. It seems to be the consensus best approach but I just wanted to explore my options.

Thanks for the offer but Ill be making the best of this one
Just do the hydro assist and be done, Jeep works *****ing the way it is
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #2196
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Seriously, this.

You've got darn near everything you'd have with the Reids already--nice steering, nice brakes, nice clearance under the tie rod.

And if you don't want to do it all at once, do the box/pump/cooler and hold off for the rest. I can assure you you'll be able to steer with your pinky @ idle on gravel with just those items.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #2197
janesy86
Gotta be Fresh

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped View Post
seriously, this.
x2

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #2198
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Quote:
Seriously, this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janesy86 View Post
x2
Fair enough, that was the original plan so I guess I'll stick with that

Unread 07-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #2199
GregStephens2
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Fair enough, that was the original plan so I guess I'll stick with that
Hey man, depending on your budget, just pull the trigger on the entire assist kit.
Mine is arriving tomorrow and getting done on the 5th.

By the time you buy the steering gear, pump, and cooler you're almost all the way there anyway.
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #2200
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStephens2 View Post
Hey man, depending on your budget, just pull the trigger on the entire assist kit.
Mine is arriving tomorrow and getting done on the 5th.

By the time you buy the steering gear, pump, and cooler you're almost all the way there anyway.
Where did you purchase it from? Last I read up on it you have to order some things from PSC and others from Blaine.

Also what'd it cost?

Unread 07-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #2201
GregStephens2
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Where did you purchase it from? Last I read up on it you have to order some things from PSC and others from Blaine.

Also what'd it cost?
I ordered the kit and cooler from Quad, because I have a friend there.
I didn't need to order anything from Blaine, but did order a SS tie rod clamp mount with tabs from Poly.
With the steering and track bar set up on my rubi, the assist cylinder will now be bold on short of welding the tabs onto the SS (synergy suspension) TR clamp.

The newest 03 to 06 kit from psc is said to be complete and was 1.6k and change including the cooler.
I got a little better of a price but not much.

But like I said by the time you price the box ($742), pump with res.($449), hose ($25), and cooler which is up to ($125) depending on the type you choose.

Your already in the $1340 realm what's another couple hundred dollars and getting the cylinder done all at the same time.

I'll post pics once my is done.
Unread 07-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #2202
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

PSC's hydro assist setup is worth every penny Lu ...
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #2203
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not suggesting this as a viable alternative, I am simply asking a question: the psc steering box seems to be 50% of their system cost. Is it possible to get your current factory box ported? Are there instructions available for this?

I am just curious because psc is the premier brand, I am familiar with the "pay to play" mentality but there must be lower cost alternatives.

I wouldn't trust the following kit without researching it thoroughly but the cost is certainly a good start to a system. You would need to port your box, get a pump/ reservoir and a coolers still...

http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/s.../ramassist.htm

I'm just asking the question
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #2204
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I heard Mike know's how to tap a stock pump for hydro.....
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #2205
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...o-Assist/page2

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.