AngryTJs Taranchula Rubicon Build - Page 104 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > AngryTJs Taranchula Rubicon Build

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #1546
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobes View Post
I actually scored my gas tank (I thought) pretty badly with my rear axle track bar bolt after I did my tummy tuck and adjusted my pinion angle (stock lower control arms, I moved the axle back in effect). I convinced myself that the stretch tank was the right way to go instead of the GTS so I dumped 800 on the pure jeep tank. Excellent tank, the aluminum work is great and no doubt the skid is stout but two things I noticed:

1. The stock plastic tank itself is actually pretty thick and very hard to puncture. I had to cut mine up with a knife to get my city to take it. I thought that the "scoring" from my rear track bar bolt would have created a failure point but it wasn't as bad as I thought.

2. I wanted the means to stretch one day so it made sense, the downfall is that the stretch tank has a sharp 90 degree angle on its leading edge, it's very square. Theres also about 6-7 inches between my rear axle and the tank skid. I am now concerned that when I set the jeep down on it, it could try to snag and shear the 7 puny grade 5 carriage bolts that hold it to the frame. When I stretch this wont be a problem because the rear axle will act as the "lead in", there shouldn't be a huge snag point as there is now.

Sorry for the hijack!
No problemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by janesy86 View Post
Lu, I was just happening to think of this since I mentioned it the other day to you, but if you're looking to join a club in the area, a good one for you to look into is NTC.

Technically Northeast Toyota Crawlers, and a lot of Toyota's but there is a good number of Jeeps in it too. They are a member club of both the NEA and NOVA, and they go down to Rausch a good number of times too.

I've wheeled with them a few times and they are a good bunch of guys, many in CT too. Just food for thought..

Edit: I'm not a member right now, but probably will be joining soon, as they wheel probably the most out of any club around.
Thanks for the heads-up Nick

AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #1547
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Planning on heading to the store in the early morning hours tomorrow to get some supplies, steel and gas then head over to my cousins and get a full day of working on the jeep.

Agenda for tomorrow is to finish the tank install then mount up the steel corners, cut the body as needed and prep the corners to be sent out for paint. If there's time I'll start cutting into the frame and cutting pieces of steel to patch and move the upper coil bucket mounts.
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #1548
duc202
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You're working on the rear stretch Lou?
duc202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #1549
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Post lots of Photos!!!!
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #1550
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Lu I just saw your post on the install of the GenRight install, nice job man I am installing mine tomorrow and the stretch once my axle shows up. Great write up!

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, Id spend six sharpening my axe.- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #1551
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yay, progress!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #1552
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc202 View Post
You're working on the rear stretch Lou?
yessir

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Post lots of Photos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty762 View Post
Lu I just saw your post on the install of the GenRight install, nice job man I am installing mine tomorrow and the stretch once my axle shows up. Great write up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Yay, progress!
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #1553
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Genright EXT tank install Part 2 of 2

Once you jack the tank up secure in the rear 4 bolts

Be careful not to pinch any lines while jacking the tank up. Once in place the skid has 2 ears on the sides that you have to mark a spot on the frame with a marker. Drop the tank again and drill this spot out on the frame all the way through.

inside view

Instructions say to drill a 3/8 hole through the entire frame and then only drill the inner hole to 5/8. The only reason one side has to be drilled larger is to fit the crush sleeve that prevents the frame from well crushing inward while tightening the bolts. I decided there was no reason why I couldn't drill the outside part of the frame to 5/8 since it would be easier then climbing under the jeep and drilling again.
Helpful tips for this step: have good drill bits ( I broke at least 4), have a 5/8 drill bit which I didnt so it took me forever to use a 1/2" bit and make it large enough and start with small pilot holes and slowly increase in size.

Reconnect fuel and electrical line to fuel pump assembly

Having someone to help avoids this

FINISHED

Jacked up the rear axle to see how much room I had and it must be the large Riddler cover but I dont have a full 5 inches to go backward which is a bummer.

Mounted the driverside stretch corner

Thats about it for today
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #1554
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Might be you were already pushed back an inch but just push it back as much as you can and still clear the tank with a little space to spare.

Looking good though
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #1555
duc202
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thx for all of the write-ups and pictures. Seeing stuff like this gives me a good idea of what to do if I want to perform a rear stretch.

In doing this rear stretch, have you hit the magical 100 as of yet?
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #1556
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good! Will this be me next year?? who knows....
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #1557
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Might be you were already pushed back an inch but just push it back as much as you can and still clear the tank with a little space to spare.

Looking good though
True, I didnt even think of that. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc202 View Post
thx for all of the write-ups and pictures. Seeing stuff like this gives me a good idea of what to do if I want to perform a rear stretch.

In doing this rear stretch, have you hit the magical 100 as of yet?
I dont think so Ill probably get to around 98-99". We'll see when its all said and done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Looks good! Will this be me next year?? who knows....
Thanks
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #1558
duc202
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so if i'm reading this right, the rear stretch consists of:

4link rear suspension kit with links
outboarding the rear shocks
ext gas tank w/ skid
longer rear driveshaft
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #1559
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good Lou, I finished the install of my Ext tank yesterday also. Very nice piece of kit, I was hesitant about spending that kind of dough for a tank but after seeing the quality and not giving up any bed space I am stoked. Looking forward to seeing your corners installed and that pumpkin pushed.

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, Id spend six sharpening my axe.- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #1560
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc202
so if i'm reading this right, the rear stretch consists of:

4link rear suspension kit with links
outboarding the rear shocks
ext gas tank w/ skid
longer rear driveshaft
Yeah for the most part you have it right.

The gas tank issue can be handled different ways though. Some people use a fuel cell and mount it in the rear of the jeep. I wanted to keep the tank under so I went with this specific tank.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.