"Always Broken" '84 CJ7 Laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Always Broken" '84 CJ7 Laredo

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 04-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
antivnm-va
SEMPER GUMBY

1984 CJ7 

"Always Broken" '84 CJ7 Laredo

[will keep this photo up to date]

My name is Brian and I live in Northern VA. I’ve had this Jeep for about 18 years. It’s gone through many changes and I am certain it will go through many many more. I’ve loved reading this forum for a long time, but haven’t participated much. So now it’s time to change that.

The Jeep is a 1984 CJ-7 Laredo. It came with a I6 258 motor, T5 trans, Dana 300 T-case, AMC 20 rear and a dana 30 front axle.

Table of contents:
1. Purchase and first build up of the CJ
2. Past Engines
3. Rocky Road SOA install, wrangler spring conversion, OME 2.5" springs, and HD drag link
4. Heater motor upgrade
5. T18 conversion, build up, and install
6. Dual Battery setup
7. Steering box and shaft upgrade
8. Start of Frame and body work; Frame clean up, new rear cross member and Por15
a. Frame Repair
b. New rear Shackle hangers and bushings
c. Gas Tank prep for Diesel
d. Dynamat Xtreme for the firewall
9. 4BT !!!!
a. 4bt Motor fires up on the Stand!!!
b. Temp Sending unit
c. 6bt exhaust manifold
d. Drivetrain mockup
e. Motor Mounts and install
f. Fuel Solenoid wiring
10. Hydroboost (upcoming)
a. Hydroboost parts list
b. Hydroboost mounted to firewall and brake pedal
11. Hydraulic Clutch upgrade (In progress)
a. Mounting the clutch master cylinder
12. Ground Pounder Fab front and rear bumper installs
a. Picked them up!
13. Winch Mods and install (In process)
14. On-board air install (have all the parts and a york 110 ready to go)
15. Axle upgrades (upcoming)

antivnm-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
antivnm-va
SEMPER GUMBY

1984 CJ7 

Purchase and first build up of the Jeep:

Purchase and first build up of the Jeep:

My father helped me get a small loan to buy it in the mid 90’s (to learn about paying the bills) and we started to repair it and build it up a bit. We tore into the body; stopping it down to find the rust and get it ready for paint. We found A LOT of rust. I was in high school and didn’t have the funds or additional time to replace the body. So we started repairing it. the front floor boards got diamond plating (because we had some laying around) formed into the mid section of the floor boards and some cheap JC Whitney front floorboards (that fit HORRIBLE). Once the repairs were done we took it to a do-it-yourself paint booth and I painted it inside and out.

Here’s what it looked like when we were done with that “restoration”:

I’ll have to see if I can find a picture of the Jeep the way it sat when purchased.
It had full running boards on it that looked like the stainless steel conversion van running boards of the 80’s. I still have those things in the attic. I may even pull them out and turn them into rock sliders for this latest rebuild of the Jeep…

*Update* this is the oldest picture of the jeep I've been able to find thus far. This was just after the initial teardown began before the first major overhaul was completed during my ownership of it. You can tell in this photo that the rear flares are off and the running boards I referenced are not on it. Gonna keep digging. I may find older photos yet...

Last edited by antivnm-va; 06-10-2014 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: added picture from before the first "restoration"
Unread 04-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
antivnm-va
SEMPER GUMBY

1984 CJ7 

Past engines:

Past engines:

The jeep came with the I6 258 ci motor. That thing was a great motor, but mine had it’s problems for sure. It had a couple hundred thousand miles on it when I pulled it and it would drink a case of oil in a weekend.

I was about to rebuild the 258 when I came across an AMC 304 V8. That and my father picked up a ’79 CJ5 and was rebuilding (and building up) the 304 that came in it. …Now we just couldn’t have this… I needed a 304 too. I had the 304 in the Jeep for only a short time
Dad’s CJ5 back then:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-H...CJ-5%25207.jpg

So… family rivalry and all, I happened across an AMC 360 that had less than 30,000 on a rebuild that came out of a wrecked Wagoneer. I paid very little for it and upgraded a few things.
- Mallory HEI
- working air pump (Northern VA, I still had to have emissions gear installed)
- Edelbrock performer intake manifold
- Edlebrock 650cfm performer carb
- Edlebrock valve covers (might as well while I was at it)
- high output alternator

Just pulled it to make room for the newest motor:

So then I picked up an AMC 401 out of a Cherokee Chief (I believe). Why…? cuz I could. I started to tear it down, but didn’t have time to get back to it. During the idle time not working on it, I decided that the fuel mileage was bad enough with the 360 and decided to go another direction. I sold the 401 to someone else (on the forum here I believe) and turned to my next project….

Cummins 4BT turbo diesel
I had always thought this was a cool motor swap and I wanted a diesel; better fuel economy, more torque potential, etc, etc. I saw a good number of other folks working on their own 4bt conversions. I read a lot on this site and a couple other sites. So here we go…

More to follow on this as I get this jeep rebuild and cummins install going.

Unread 04-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by antivnm-va
Past engines: 258 The jeep came with the I6 258 ci motor. That thing was a great motor, but mine had it’s problems for sure. It had a couple hundred thousand miles on it when I pulled it and it would drink a case of oil in a weekend. 304 I was about to rebuild the 258 when I came across an AMC 304 V8. That and my father picked up a ’79 CJ5 and was rebuilding (and building up) the 304 that came in it. …Now we just couldn’t have this… I needed a 304 too. I had the 304 in the Jeep for only a short time Dad’s CJ5 back then: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-H...CJ-5%25207.jpg 360 So… family rivalry and all, I happened across an AMC 360 that had less than 30,000 on a rebuild that came out of a wrecked Wagoneer. I paid very little for it and upgraded a few things. - Mallory HEI - working air pump (Northern VA, I still had to have emissions gear installed) - Edelbrock performer intake manifold - Edlebrock 650cfm performer carb - Edlebrock valve covers (might as well while I was at it) - high output alternator Just pulled it to make room for the newest motor: 401 So then I picked up an AMC 401 out of a Cherokee Chief (I believe). Why…? cuz I could. I started to tear it down, but didn’t have time to get back to it. During the idle time not working on it, I decided that the fuel mileage was bad enough with the 360 and decided to go another direction. I sold the 401 to someone else (on the forum here I believe) and turned to my next project…. Cummins 4BT turbo diesel I had always thought this was a cool motor swap and I wanted a diesel; better fuel economy, more torque potential, etc, etc. I saw a good number of other folks working on their own 4bt conversions. I read a lot on this site and a couple other sites. So here we go… More to follow on this as I get this jeep rebuild and cummins install going.
Looking forward to this. Sounds a lot like what I started with. Do you still have the 360?
84jeepcj7rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
antivnm-va
SEMPER GUMBY

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepcj7rock View Post
Looking forward to this. Sounds a lot like what I started with. Do you still have the 360?
I do. ...trying to decide what to do with it. I may use it for another project.

sent from mobile

"You can accomplish much if you don’t care who gets the credit."

"Deny everything…Admit nothing…Demand proof…Counter-accuse…”

"If you can't laugh at yourself,..make fun of other people"

'84 CJ-7 Build Thread
Unread 05-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
antivnm-va
SEMPER GUMBY

1984 CJ7 

So a few years ago (well 2007) I was staring at the jeep sitting in the garage and decided I needed to start working on it again. In the following couple weeks I put some of my spare time to use thinking about and researching what I would work on first. One would think I would have tackled some of the most needed problems first… NOPE, not I. I instead decide to put on a new SOA setup. figured it would breath new vigor into the project seeing the jeep sitting on some new suspension.

I had minimal time due to work travel. So I decided to go with the Rocky Road Outfitters SOA kit. The kit was all bolt on (still had the stock axles so it’s bolt on to those) and I opt’d for several add-ons to complete it; Wrangler Spring conversion kit, Sway-bar disconnects, OME 2.5” lift wrangler springs, Long travel shocks, and the HD CJ Z-link steering kit. Installation was simply. I know some love to hate/dislike kits like the RRO kit or SOA in general. For me, I feel it was the right choice for a number of reasons:
- Yes there may be a few other problems to address with SOA, but the kit comes close, is stout, and gives me a foundation to start with
- I'll be going to wider axles soon enough with 37" tires. This will help address the stability/center-of-gravity topic
- Bolt on weakness questions... I don't know about that this thing is beefy up close and is solid around the stock axles. When I go to the wider axles I'll weld everything up anyway.

right after finishing the front:

Back together with 31’s on it so that it fit in the garage

Attempted to test the flex (with sway bar connected), but this thing was now too tall for the garage…
Unread 05-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
antivnm-va
SEMPER GUMBY

1984 CJ7 

Heater Motor upgrade

Like all of us with CJ's, I eventually got tired of the blower motor not quite being powerful enough. ESPECIALLY on long rainy trips and the defroster was nowhere near up to par... So a few years ago I did the well documented chevy blower motor upgrade. I used a Four Seasons/Trumark 35587 Blower Motor, cut out the opening in the firewall, and had no issues.

You can see the larger motor in this picture. And yes that is actually caulking around the motor... Laugh it up, but that was all I had on me at the time to seal it up. I'll install some gasket material the next time I pull it out of there, which probably won't be until the Jeep gets a replacement tub installed.

Unread 05-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
antivnm-va
SEMPER GUMBY

1984 CJ7 

T18 conversion

I had previously had a T5 trans that I had to rebuild several times due to the I6 (modified a bit) and my driving habits, which were a little much for it. I broke a couple gears, syncros etc… So I started researching what to use as a replacement trans. I was really considering the NV4500 (and now that I am going with a 4BT motor I may go back to it for the extra gear), but I wanted a shorter trans and lower cost.

I found a guy selling a Jeep T18 out of a J series truck in upstate New York for really cheap. It would need a short input shaft, but I new were I could get one cheap. So, my brother and I jumped in the truck and headed north for a road trip. It was winter, but the weather looked clear so we felt good about traipsing through the north in my new-to-me Silverado SS in the winter. Well… we learned about “lake effect blizzards” that day! By the time we got to the guys house, we were dragging the stock height (not lowered at all) frame-rails of the truck through the very thick snow covering the roadway. That truck barely spun a wheel with it’s AWD setup. I was dang impressed with it. I have some pictures of it buried in the snow and yet still dragging its way through it that I’ll post eventually.

We got to the guys house and got the Jeep T18 AND he threw in a Ford 2wd T18 that also had the 6.32:1 first gear. The trip back was fairly uneventful (though we had to stop a few times to clear out the snow from the wheel because it was turning to Ice and lessening the effectiveness of the brakes… but who needs brakes in the mountains..

Jeep T18 that I sold along with the D20 that came with it:

Turns out that the Ford version of the T18 was actually the best for my application. I wanted to mate a T18 to my D300 transfer case and clock the case at the same time.

I called up NOVAK and bought the master rebuild kit

a new shifter

The t18 to d300 adapter kit

and a new rear mount and I also got the right size pilot busing from them as well.

The Install was fairly simple and done over a lazy weekend. I bought some new snap ring and c clip pliers for the job since I seem to go through those pliers pretty quickly. I really like the integrated clocking ring for the clocking the D300.

Unread 05-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
antivnm-va
SEMPER GUMBY

1984 CJ7 

Dual Battery install

I am pretty hard on batteries in my vehicles …or more specifically the charging systems.

I’m an amateur radio operator and I usually run multiple radios in a vehicle; I like my stereo to be quite loud on occasion (out camping or tail-gating); at night I like to light up a trail bright as day; among a number of other accessories including new items going on the Jeep like the winch and welder.

So a dual battery setup was a must! Especially since I’d drained the battery too low a couple times while driving it and it “charging”. It also got a ‘higher’ high amp alternator after that little issue.

I wasn’t about to pay $100+ for a thin steel dual battery tray. So I broke out a welder and fab’ed up a dual tray out of some scrap steel from an old bed frame and the old stock support brackets of the stock tray. The batteries sit just inside the lip of the 1 inch angle iron I got from the bed frame scraps. The batteries sit horizontal to each other and right against one another. I used threaded rod for the side tie downs and welded them straight to the outer edge of the angle iron. For a cross bar, I used 3/4” square tube and drilled the ends for the side bars to run through. Simple wing nuts on top and I was done. Went together quickly and cheaply. Plus this thing is heavy duty! hah

I decided to spring for the Painless 40102 250-Amp Dual Battery Current Control System. It came with everything I needed to control the battery setup the way I wanted to without having to mess it much. Plus this kit is the marine kit and fairly well sealed up.

From Painless:
This Painless dual battery system allows you to completely and independently control the function of two batteries. Complete kit includes solenoid, switch, pre-terminated wires/connectors, fuse holder, fuse and all mounting hardware. Also available in a 250-amp Waterproof version that features military spec switches and waterproof terminals.
Our 250 AMP dual battery controller includes a three position switch to control the second battery through the operation of the solenoid.
- Switch position one isolates the auxiliary battery. No light.
- Position two connects the auxiliary battery while the ignition is on. Green light.
- Position three connects the auxiliary battery at all times. Red light.

I mounted the isolator to the bottom of the battery tray I built. I also upgraded all larger power and ground cables on the jeep at the same time.

Unread 05-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
antivnm-va
SEMPER GUMBY

1984 CJ7 

Steering box and shaft upgrade

When I parked this think a few years ago it had ALL the dreaded steering issues including the ever so “AWESOME DEATH WOBBLE”. It was quite the thrill to drive it down the road and not the good kind of thrill! BUT, I used to drive it this way anyway. Now I plan to have the family ride along with me in there and that just won't do. So this thing needed a number of fixes and upgrades to repair the steering craziness and to handle what I am going to throw at. I had already upgraded all steering links and bushings, so the rest of the steering is now getting addressed.

Steering Box
I thought about a number of steering box upgrades and finally decided to go with the “H1 upgrade” for both the strength and reasonable cost in money and time. I considered hydraulic ram steering, but I didn't want to spend time fabbing that when I am planning to replace the axles anyway. I may consider that upgrade again in the future but I think this new box is going to be just fine for a while. I was able to buy it on Amazon Prime so that saved me a bit on shipping.

Steering Box Mount
At the same time I knew I needed to upgrade the mount for this steering box. I thought about welding one up, but I have too many projects going on, so I bought one of these as well. I went with the Rugged Ridge 18003.10 Steering Box Mount. I like the way it clamped around the frame… Again, I found it for sale on Amazon Prime with the free shipping.

Steering shaft
The original steering shaft had the usual issues as well; both the joints were sloppy and the telescoping portion of the shaft was frozen solid. I went ahead with the Borgeson 000910 Power Steering Shaft Assembly. I found it on the same online retailer with free shipping for a good price. It shipped quickly and I’ve got to say… this thing is solid!

The install
I had a few typical challenges to deal with getting these installed. The old steering box came right off with no issue. My 3/4 impact gun made very quick work on getting the nut off the steering box pitman arm shaft. BUT I have broke all three pitman arm pullers trying to get the thing off that steering box shaft. So, I picked up an OTC 8150 Conical Pitman Arm Puller. It’s got the conical design so it doesn't have puller arms to break off. The old steering shaft was rust welded onto the bottom of the steering column as well. A big sledge and the loss of much skin from my knuckles and the old shaft came right off. Then I realized that the new HD steering box mount used additional holes on the frame for added strength. Slight issue there; I have bolts broken off in those frame mounting holes. So I broke out the welder and a new grade 8 nut to weld on. Once it cooled, the impact took the bolt right out of the frame.

I went ahead and POR 15’d the new steering box and steering mount before installing them. They look good together:

Got the box mounted up tonight. Looks good and is SOOO much sturdier than the stock one:

Also got the new Steering shaft on there:

The heavy duty pump on the Cummins 4BT will be driving the setup along with hydroboost.
Unread 05-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #11
antivnm-va
SEMPER GUMBY

1984 CJ7 

Frame clean up, new rear cross member and Por15

The frame on this CJ is full of crud from MANY off road trips, blown rear main seals, leaking power steering fluid, a brush with wet tar, and probably a number of other things since it rolled off the factory line in the ’80’s. With all the new parts going on my old CJ, I really wanted to clean up all of this and make sure that it’s clean and solid. Time to start pulling this thing apart.

Here she sat:

Tear down begins:

360 and the rest of the drivetrain is out and on the ground (since it crushed the “1000lbs” rolling stand, more welding to do…)

Firewall [mostly] stripped down:

Front of frame and firewall cleaned of crud and coated in POR 15:

Original trans cross-member
- POR 15’d.
- It’s going to get hacked up a bit to flatten and strengthen it. No need to have it hang so low since the the T-case will be clocked.

Gas tank dropped:
- skid plate POR 15’d
- New tank strap in, but it’s the wrong size for the factory 20 gal tank. gonna cut it up and weld it to fit.
- pulled of strainer to work “mo better” at drinking up the diesel

[missing picture]

More to come:

- cutting out the old rear frame crossmember out (damaged in an off road “event”)
- clean up the last 5 or so inches of the rear frame rails. little bit of rust
- weld in the new crossmember made out of thicker steel
- POR 15 it all…
- spay the bottom of the body with more undercoating without getting it on the frame. Body is going to be replaced in the next year or too, but want to protect what I can until then.
Unread 05-25-2014, 10:05 PM   #12
antivnm-va
SEMPER GUMBY

1984 CJ7 

So, 95% of the frame is cleaned and POR15'd. Cut the old cross member off and got a better look at the frame rust on the last 5 inches of both frame rails. ...figures the last 5% is a rust ridden mess. The worst of it is on the passenger side.

Knowing i had some issues i. The back, I had already bought a replacement crossmember and HD hangers. Got the latter from Rocky Road and the rear crossmember from Amazon. They are both far sturdier than the factory pieces.

With the hope of a less troublesome repair, I ordered the rear frame repair kit from Autorust. I read some good reviews of the repair pieces, so hopefully it'll be a strong repair. I'll probably weld in some additional bracing as well. Gotta make sure its ready to bolt a GP Fab bumper on back there.

sent from mobile
1401076634678.jpg  

'84 CJ-7 Build Thread
Unread 05-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #13
antivnm-va
SEMPER GUMBY

1984 CJ7 

While waiting on the frame repair kit and the missing ford bell housing, I turned my attention to continuing to prep the 4BT. Got the grease and oil cleaned off and shot most of the motor with Cummins tan engine paint.

sent from mobile
1401417064002.jpg  

'84 CJ-7 Build Thread
Unread 05-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #14
merc07
1998 ZJ 

looks like a fun project!
Unread 05-30-2014, 08:31 PM   #15
antivnm-va
SEMPER GUMBY

1984 CJ7 

Thanks! Its becoming more fun as things start to take shape again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc07 View Post
looks like a fun project!

sent from mobile

'84 CJ-7 Build Thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.