Allgood_73's Build - 2004 Jeep Rubicon - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Allgood_73's Build - 2004 Jeep Rubicon

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 03-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #76
P0paWheelie

awesome build dude.

crawled

P0paWheelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #77
krusemissile

love how you set up the updates! Great job on the build!
krusemissile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #78
gixxerphil
2002 TJ Wrangler 

What did you do with the moabs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
can you get a good pic of your muff set up ?
gixxerphil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #79
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I guarantee I can get the front end of a jeep setup more dead on than 99% of the alignment and offroad shop employees out there. Seriously, it's not hard to get it dead nuts. A measuring tape, angle finder, and logic go a long way. If you take some time to learn exactly what's going on and why things need to be the way they need to be, you will have the ability to do it very well.
I'm very good at picking things up quickly and I've been reading a ton of write ups trying to understand everything. Only bad part is, I'm a VERY visual learner, so in order to really understand things... I need to have help the first time... after that, I'm golden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01LimitedXJ View Post
for the front, if i remember correctly, we set caster at or very close to the factory recommended spec, and did about a 1/8" toe in.
We set the caster at 6.5 degrees, as all the articles I read mentioned anywhere from 5 to 6.5 degrees for 35" tires on a 4" lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerphil_ View Post
What did you do with the moabs?
Check the spreadsheet under post #2.. I sold them for $600.

I kinda wanted to keep them and run two sets of tires / wheels... MTRS with the Moabs for the street, and Pitbulls with my TR Beadlocks for the trails... just I couldn't afford it at this time.

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Thank you to all who voted me the July 2011 TJ of the Month AND July 2012 TJ of the Month!!!

Built Not Bought... pshh... how about, Wheeled Not Garaged.

An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Buyers / Sellers To Avoid: sidetracked
Allgood_73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #80
cam100
2001 TJ Wrangler 

awhh nice man! this place is an hr and a half from my house and never heard about it!!!
cam100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #81
TNRubi

You might check with Hendry's alignment. Alex has been doing my lifted stuff since 1979. He's across from the old East High School.
Unread 03-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #82
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRubi View Post
You might check with Hendry's alignment. Alex has been doing my lifted stuff since 1979. He's across from the old East High School.
TNRubi, thanks for the suggestion, I owe you a beer sometime!!!

I called him up last night and after speaking with him for a couple minutes, I definitely trust him with the alignment. He knew right away what death wobble was, says he does lifted vehicles all the time, and does ALL adjustments front AND rear for $150... plus he could get me in anytime! That's a 1/3rd of 4WD Parts price... as they were wanting $185 for front, $185 for rear, $20 shop fees, and taxes... plus they couldn't get me in for several weeks.

This morning I took all the backroads there... death wobble creeps in at 40 mph, so I stayed under that and had no problems the whole way there. I passed Hendrix's jeep on the way in... and every time I see it, it makes me think about stretching mine already.

Can't wait till I get the Jeep back and it can see highway speeds again. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little worried that if death wobble kicks in at 70 mph.... I'm screwed.

I'll be posting pics of everything up by Friday... as I'm finally getting a little more time on my hands.

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Thank you to all who voted me the July 2011 TJ of the Month AND July 2012 TJ of the Month!!!

Unread 03-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #83
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Alright, pics are up! Click here to go right to the post.

I've finally ran out of "Reserved" room.... so I'm moving the wheeling trips to a different thread and will have the links in my sig.

Here's what the jeep is looking like now-a-days:

I didn't get my jeep back from the alignment shop today, but Alex said I should get it back tomorrow. Can't wait to see if death wobble is gone!

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Unread 03-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #84
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Alright, so Hendry's Alignment was high on my list of recommendations... but his shop is quickly falling off my list. Dropped the Jeep off bright and early Tuesday morning and he said it'd be $150 and he'd get it back to me that night. I never received a call back, so I called him before he closed... he said the tech called out sick and it would be the next day before he could have it back to me. Wednesday night I called again, only to be told it would be Thursday. Thursday night I called and he said it would be ABSOLUTELY Friday and that they started work and found the left axle u-joint was bad. Even though I could easily do this myself, I went ahead and bought two spicer 760x ujoints this morning and took it to them. Upon my arrival, I asked the cost, and he said he was unsure but he would call and let me know soon. I asked "it'll be under $250 right". He laughed and said "oh no, it'll be that on just on the alignment... but I'll provide you an exact figure soon". I then said "well, it will definitely be today when I get it back, right?"... his response "I don't want to be tied down with timelines, I want to make sure to do it right." WTF?!?! It should still be well under the price of 4WD Parts and it is still sooner, so I can't complain too much... but telling me one thing and doing another is starting to piss me off real quick.

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Unread 03-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #85
TNRubi

Sorry for the troubles. I almost never make recommendations for services or employment for this very reason. I only do when I'm highly confident in the person. My experiences with Alex have always been good. A couple of years back I carried him a 3/4 ton Ford that I swapped the TTB for a dana 60 that I expected major corrections needed. I was braced for the worst and all he had to do was set the toe in. Oh well...
Unread 03-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #86
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRubi View Post
Sorry for the troubles. I almost never make recommendations for services or employment for this very reason. I only do when I'm highly confident in the person. My experiences with Alex have always been good. A couple of years back I carried him a 3/4 ton Ford that I swapped the TTB for a dana 60 that I expected major corrections needed. I was braced for the worst and all he had to do was set the toe in. Oh well...
TNRubi, no worries... I'd rather a suggestion then nothing at all. Like I said, overall... he should still come out cheaper, plus, he still will get it done quicker than 4WD Parts could have got me in. If everything ends up coming out just fine, I will still recommend him and go back to him... just with the note to expect delays and that the price is not 100% firm. Don't worry, I still owe you a cold one.

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Unread 03-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #87
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

What. A. Joke.
Hendry's Alignment just called me back to tell me they spent all day today "coming up with the price" that was supposed to be an "exact price" and so they didn't actually work on it. His "exact" price ended up being $500 minimum to $750 maximum to do the full alignment and change out the bad ujoint (and I was going to switch out the other one just for good measure) and yet again... I hear that "he could have it done tomorrow". I'm picking up my jeep tomorrow, changing the ujoints myself and will figure it out from there.

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Unread 03-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #88
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allgood_73 View Post
What. A. Joke.
Hendry's Alignment just called me back to tell me they spent all day today "coming up with the price" that was supposed to be an "exact price" and so they didn't actually work on it. His "exact" price ended up being $500 minimum to $750 maximum to do the full alignment and change out the bad ujoint (and I was going to switch out the other one just for good measure) and yet again... I hear that "he could have it done tomorrow". I'm picking up my jeep tomorrow, changing the ujoints myself and will figure it out from there.
Wow, what a scam!

I still say do it yourself, you won't have any trouble.
Unread 03-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #89
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sorry hear this, looks like you got the run around. This shop sounds very unprofessional. You might be able to do the alignment yourself. My last alignment cost me 30 dollars. 150 seems incredibly overpriced. Check out this link:
http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #90
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'll admit, I fear that if I do it myself, I'll get it ALMOST right... but I'll be traveling 70 mph down the highway and death wobble will kick in. For the sake of my life, other people's lifes, and the time and money I have invested into the jeep... I'll just pay $200 and be done. While I applaud those who can do it themselves correctly, it just makes sense to me to have someone else (that knows what they are doing) do it.

The few alignment places that will do lifted vehicles, know what they are doing, and can handle bead lock wheels... are typically anywhere from $60-100 for a 4x4 front end alignment and multiply that times two if they do a rear alignment.... and if they have to touch the control arms, it typically jumps up another $100. My main concern is that if I pay that amount, I want someone who really knows what they are doing and will do it perfect the first time.

All that being said, I ended up just taking the Jeep up to 4WD Parts yesterday and they are going to do everything for $187.50 + $20 shop fee. They're parking it in the shop while my tom woods drive shaft comes in and then they are just going to take care of everything. We looked into having a local shop (Dave's Drive Shaft) build the drive shaft instead, but he wanted over $400 for just a 1310 series.

Anyway, I'll give an update when I get it back in a week.

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.