Allgood_73's Build - 2004 Jeep Rubicon - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Allgood_73's Build - 2004 Jeep Rubicon

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #61
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allgood_73 View Post
I've got a BUNCH of surprises coming over the next 5 days and I'll be posting pics up each night... stay tuned.
Can't wait to see where this is going.... opcorn:

kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #62
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Added lots of pics for the rear fender removal & locker pump relocation... enjoy! Way more (and cooler) stuff to come... but here is a pic so far:

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Thank you to all who voted me the July 2011 TJ of the Month AND July 2012 TJ of the Month!!!

Built Not Bought... pshh... how about, Wheeled Not Garaged.

An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Buyers / Sellers To Avoid: sidetracked
Allgood_73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2011, 11:50 PM   #63
02greytj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

so whats for sale off the xj??
Unread 02-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #64
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, unfortunately I have been so busy working on the jeep I havent got around to posting any progress pics up... and we still got a couple days ahead of us (at least). As for taking the remaining parts off the XJ and getting them posted, it's gonna be a little while... as the TJ is now the 1st priority. Here's a list of the chronological tasks we got going on... I think I have everything listed:

- Install Clayton Long Arm Lift
- Install Currie Steering System
- Install OME Steering Stabilizer
- Take the TJ up to 4WD Hardware to get a full alignment done.
- Take the TJ up to the muffler shop to get my exhaust re-routed.
- Install front Currie Antirock
- Install PIAA fog and windshield driving lights
- Install mount for my new Hi-Lift Xtreme
- Install several new misc. accessories
- Install / hardwire my new GPS
- FINALLY take it on a trail ride to test everything out. With Spring practically here, it's time to get a move on...

The lift is pretty much done on the front end and we now have the rear axle out and are at the steps of welding on the truss and frame brackets. The Currie steering system is installed... but now the OME steering stabilizer yet.

Stay tuned...

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Thank you to all who voted me the July 2011 TJ of the Month AND July 2012 TJ of the Month!!!

Unread 02-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #65
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I seen your Jeep at Master muffler this morning. I commute down Lebanon road in the mornings to Nashville. I had them do mt exhaust. They do a quality job.

Jeep looks good.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #66
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yup, that was mine alright... I got the lift installed (finally) and drove it up there for the exhaust. I had death wobble twice on the way there, so I really need to get a full alignment done. Know anyone who does a good full alignment on lifted vehicles? Only one I know of is 4WD Hardware, but they cant get me in until the 16th.

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Unread 02-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #67
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allgood_73
Yup, that was mine alright... I got the lift installed (finally) and drove it up there for the exhaust. I had death wobble twice on the way there, so I really need to get a full alignment done. Know anyone who does a good full alignment on lifted vehicles? Only one I know of is 4WD Hardware, but they cant get me in until the 16th.
Just set the toe, and point the front ds at the front t case yoke. You should be fine till the 16 th. Thats really all they will do.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #68
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I talked to 4WD Hardware and they said they would do a FULL alignment which includes C.A. adjustments, caster angle, toe in, and trackbar. I may hand them my new drop pittman arm to put on too (if it needs it).

My pittman arm was seized on there and I couldn't get it off for the life of me... I broke 2 pittman arm pullers and used map gas to heat it up while tapping it with a mallet. I'm not sure whether to use the drop pittman arm yet, as I have heard both ways... but the main thing is: if you have a drop trackbar mount (which I do), then use it... otherwise, keep it stock.

Since it's my DD, I need to get it back on the road asap with no death wobble... so I called Firestone this morning and they said they can do full alignments with vehicles up to 6" of lift. I'll take it up there tonight and talk to one of their techs, but if I dont think they can handle everything, I may just end up having to wait for my appt. on the 16th.

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Unread 03-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #69
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I picked up the jeep from Master Muffler and I love how it turned out. The exhaust fits really close to the shock, so I hope it wont start rubbing... but I think it should be good. It's not overly loud either, which i was afraid of since they only had one muffler that would even fit the extremely small space.

I then took the jeep over to Firestone and talked to a guy named Chris who I had previously spoke to on the phone. He re-assured me they could do EVERYTHING. I asked him if he knew what "Death Wobble" was and he replied no and that he was new... so I then asked to speak with a tech. The tech came out and said his first concern was even fitting the machine over the beadlock wheels and he was pretty sure they wouldnt fit. Then he also said that they can only do what the machine is programmed for... which is setting the front only back to stock specs. Therefore, the rear couldn't be adjusted at all to square it up and set the pinion angle, and the front caster angle or toe in couldnt be corrected. He suggested I go to TN Offroad or 4WD Parts.

Looks like I will be carpooling and riding my sportbike on nicer days for the next couple of weeks...

At least this will give me some time to go ahead and install the steering stabilizer, anti rock, hi-lift, and piaa lights.

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Unread 03-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #70
01LimitedXJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

jeep sounds great...has a deeper tone that really goes with the new look.
Unread 03-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #71
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just do it yourself man. You won't find anyone at a generic shop that knows how to properly do it unless you get very lucky. The funny thing is it's not hard and it just takes some common sense. You should be able to set the rear pinion angle very easily. You want the pinion and driveshaft inline. With a tape measure and angle finder, you should be able to get the front axle properly tilted, centered, and toed.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #72
01LimitedXJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Just do it yourself man. You won't find anyone at a generic shop that knows how to properly do it unless you get very lucky. The funny thing is it's not hard and it just takes some common sense. You should be able to set the rear pinion angle very easily. You want the pinion and driveshaft inline. With a tape measure and angle finder, you should be able to get the front axle properly tilted, centered, and toed.
We did a rough DIY alignment on it already, and its pretty close, but he DD's it and needs it to be dead on. Also, the rear is a bit harder to line up since there isnt a rear drive shaft in yet.

Ive also gone to 4wheel parts before, yea its pricey but they do a good job.
Unread 03-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #73
Sgt.Fuzz
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01LimitedXJ View Post
We did a rough DIY alignment on it already, and its pretty close, but he DD's it and needs it to be dead on. Also, the rear is a bit harder to line up since there isnt a rear drive shaft in yet.

Have you pulled the rear shocks and springs and centered the bumpstops at full compression?

And what is a "rough" alignment? Take your time and you can get it "dead on" yourself.
Unread 03-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #74
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01LimitedXJ View Post

I guarantee I can get the front end of a jeep setup more dead on than 99% of the alignment and offroad shop employees out there. Seriously, it's not hard to get it dead nuts. A measuring tape, angle finder, and logic go a long way. If you take some time to learn exactly what's going on and why things need to be the way they need to be, you will have the ability to do it very well.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #75
01LimitedXJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
Have you pulled the rear shocks and springs and centered the bumpstops at full compression?

And what is a "rough" alignment? Take your time and you can get it "dead on" yourself.
No we have not checked the rear yet. For right now we just set the lowers to recommended length, and pointed the pinion up at the TC (eyeballed it since no rear driveshaft yet to properly set the pinion angle). Also, may end up moving the axle back some, as it looks like its not perfectly centered in wheel wells.

for the front, if i remember correctly, we set caster at or very close to the factory recommended spec, and did about a 1/8" toe in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.