AlcidaJeeper - TJ rerebuilt to last w/ 4link - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > AlcidaJeeper - TJ rerebuilt to last w/ 4link

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 02-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
Alcidajeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

AlcidaJeeper - TJ rerebuilt to last w/ 4link

Hi guys,

I rebuilt my 97 TJ on a budget, but I had plenty of time! The story began in 2010, when I first purchased a POS stock jeep TJ 97. Since then, I have changed or rebuilt pretty much every thing on it. I have about 20k in the jeep so far. When I was at about 16k, it wouldn't pass inspection because of a rotten frame. I decided that I wasn't going going to give up on it so softly... and I didn't. This is the story of me being on forums at work, and in the garage at night.

So I have no picture of the jeep at purchase... but here's 3 days after

Couple of days later...

now weeks... Stock height, cosmetic redone I guess

Now 2 inch...

Now 4 inch with 35 MTZ...

I had to remake the floors in it.. there was no way I was going steel again! Bedlined the interior at the same time!

Now I dit put my 2 inch spacer on top of my 4 inch lift.. it was a 6 inch total and performed well! And then I fabricated my front bumper and got myself a winch ) Didn't take long to fall ink love with a 50$ bumper, so I made a rear one, and rock sliders!

Time for a brand new Rampage softtop (Love it)... So thats where she sat until the real rebuilt started!!!

Keep in touch, I will post pictures and details about the next 8 months of _____ (fill it as you want, I'll call it slavery)

Alcidajeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
Alcidajeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The beguining of the real work

I forgot to mention, I did install yukon 4.56 gears and a Yukon locker in the rear as well...

So I got her in the garage and started, what I thought was, my 6 weeks jeep rebuild ) (would've been awesome ...)

First step was stripin' her (I guess she wasn't a whore cuz I had a hard time doing so...)

It didn't take long to realise the body was in the same shape of the frame.. rotted and rusted out... So thats where the first 5 weeks went...

First I took her off...

then started the hard work... (For me)

And then... somewhere I decided I was going to lift my gaz tank 3 inches, so I took those inches back from my floor!

(With a good degreaser and a bunch of industrial paint! I had to convince the guy it wasn't going on a car because it's illegal.. wore a mask, not dead yet!)

I had to do all corners again and enlarge the fenders but that was minor work and I'm not gonna bug you with it...

So that was it for the tub for now!
Unread 02-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #3
Alcidajeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Changing direction

So after a brief brainstorm, I decided I was going to fabricate a long arm lift with a 4link rear for the jeep (Had no clue it was complicated like that, but if you slowly go through all the steps, it's all good!)

So I ordered my johny joints, and figured the bigger is the better... so I did.

My puzzle of RH threads and LH thread worked out alright!! (Not all shown)

Yes I love those paracord bracelets, in fact, I made huge paracord grab handles that I have not yet instalet in my jeep (tooooo many projects)

Then there was those greasable bolts at like 12$ or so (Can't recal).. So I figured I'd use what I learned so far in ma engineer bachelor and found out Grade 8 with the hole was stronger than a grade 5 as used by Jeep.
Unread 02-18-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
Alcidajeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Come in Frame, you look cold and weak outside

So I couldn't find a lot of images of the frame when I first started chopping stuff... But this picture shows clearly how it was bad!

So I cut it out, and hammered the frame and vacumed the interior.

Time for reinforcement...

And 4 link brackets

And reinforcement 2...

After I welded the sh*t out of it :

The rear was just as bad, so I took care of it. Plus I had to jack the other cross member and reinforce it for the tank lift!

PS:trailer hitch helped to keep the frame square during the process, witch was a good thing!
Unread 02-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
Alcidajeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Drive shaft and SYE

So I had to buy a Slip Yoke Eliminator and a CV driveshaft, and with installation, I was looking at around 1K. As a student, I had to make a decision on where to put money to make sure I was going to finish the project.

I figured I was going to stretch the jeep, so I would have a better angle (Or I could just lift it higher ). That way ms DS would also be longer. I decided to fabricate my own kit. I bought a CV driveshaft for 50$ (Front of a 94 XJ) and took the T-case appart. I also took the Yoke of that cherokee because the guy was not home... I guess I can say it's part of the DS, so it was... bought

Here's a pic of the DS after I had it cut by a local DS shop for about 80$

I took the T-case appart and cutted about 2 inches off my stock output shaft. I threaded a 3/8 finethread at the end to hold the futur fixed yoke.

Unfortunately, the front fixed yoke is not using the same spline than the rear. So I searched the web for days... without result. That's where my machinist uncle came to visit me. He said he could take part of the spline from my slip yoke, and put it in the front yoke I BOUGHT of that cherokee, heat fit it in and use a key AND weld it using cast rods. So I trusted him with that. Here is the result compared to my front one (before and after). the top ring for the bolt and the weld were still missing in the pic.

Thanks uncle!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson
Unread 02-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
Alcidajeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Custom long arm (home made)

Time to start the long arm lift!
I started with the rear, because it is way more complicated.

Here is my rear end setup :

I relocated my rear coil seats, so might as well put them lower because I have no money for coilovers right now!

Painted the frame...

Assembling it!

For the front, I also replaced the seat, lower again. I used only one upper control arm, once again, to get maximum flex when I will put the coilovers.

For the coil bracket, more pictures will follow.

Paint station

If you noticed the home made steering box reinforcement, I will talk about that in my next post.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson
Unread 02-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
Alcidajeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Steering gear box stiffener

I changed my gearbox a while back and added a dropped pitman arm. I was scared it would loosen up so I fabed a steering gear box reinforcement. I used a 2.5 inch exhaust clamp that I modified a bit.

Also, I forgot to mention that when decided I was going to use only one upper control arm in front, I oversized it and used the strongest bolt I could find. Once again, calculated it to make sure it was stronger not weeker.

Unread 02-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #8
Alcidajeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Custom skidplate

I had to make a new bracket to hold the transmission in place.
Made it stock depth

Unread 02-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #9
Alcidajeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Toyo open country 37 vs mtz 35

So I had to sell my mtz due to : TOO MUCH LIFT.. Great!!!

Got myself some toyos, and never regreted it! They last so much longer and they are better if you ask me on most surfaces.

As for brakelines... F*ck the 150$ SS line, I got some 12$ 91 half ton chevy lines )

Unread 02-19-2014, 08:17 PM   #10
Alcidajeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Home made long arm lift jeep tj

Here are some pic of the frame with tires on :

Starting to take shape! my lifted jeep tj 1997
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:20 PM   #11
Alcidajeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep tj lifted gas tank

Here is the gas tank lift I fabricated out of an aluminium sheet and some angles.
Also, the magnapack on this TJ sounds mean !

The rear shock mounts will have to be relocated... to come

And the magna pack
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #12
Alcidajeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

12 inch lift on a jeep tj

So the body is now on!

Oups... sorry fat girls

a little vision drawn at work haha
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #13
Alcidajeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep flexing with a tractor for fun

Had a little fun driving it out of the garage and testing the long arm lift. Made me realize I had to relocate my rear shocks. Oh, and I did simulate my own hi line hood.

That's when I realized the bumper was too wide...

So I trimed it
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #14
Alcidajeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep TJ hi narrow tube fender homemade

Took me about 3 weeks to fabricate my own unique narrow tube fender for my TJ.

So I'll let the images describe the work!

DIY jeet tube fender
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #15
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

So you stole someone's parts, illegally used paint, and have 12" of lift?

Cool story.
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.