ajamison's XJ build done right - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > ajamison's XJ build done right

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-30-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

ajamison's XJ build done right

well im sure some of you know i lost my TJ to bad fortune a few weeks ago. i searched for wranglers, but i couldn't find anything for the right price. luckily for me, my neighbor had his XJ up for sale, and it was a deal/jeep i couldn't pass up. so thus begins another chapter in my book o jeeps lol.

the cherokee already has a rusty's 4.5" lift and 31 tires (31s?? haha im used to biggg tires ). overall its a really clean jeep and well maintained. but the front clip had been replaced and it was not the correct color (chili pepper red) and the hood is slightly curled at the front, and a dent in the front and rear bumper. thats all easily fixable after a test drive and a look around, i have concluded that the (****ty rusty's) track bar needs to be replaced, the rear shackles need attention (they pop), and the drivers side lca axle mount is bent.

overall plans for the jeep will be to keep the ride height about the same, maybe a 3/4" spacer up front. and im going to keep the 31s for now, but my next tires will be BFG 33x10.50s. my plans for the front axle are to (either with the existing axle and new lca brackets, or with a high pinion dana 30) install an aussie locker, and replace anything that appears to be worn. i will probably also weld on some JKS mini skids for the lca brackets. the rear axle should be okay with 33" tires, but i do want to install rear disk brakes and a hd diff cover and possibly a selectable locker, but if i get a good deal on a ford 8.8, i would be glad to fire up the welder and burn on some spring perches . i also plan on going 3 link front, i saw that clayton has a front 3 link kit in the works.. if i dont like their price, which i probably won't, ill just buy the crossmember and make my own arms

enough of the tech talk, all in all, i want this to be a reliable daily driver, i plan on keeping it a clean looking jeep... but its going to be built to be a sleeper on the trails. this is my 5th jeep, i've learned a lot, now its time to put my skills to work

here's some pictures of the jeep that i got from the previous owner...

ajamison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

my first problem with the jeep... the motor for the left rear window went out, so i took a trip to the junk yard i came home with a window motor, front skid, transfer case skid, front tow hook brackets, hitch and wire harness, v8 zj steering, and a bunch of parts for my truck... all for $38 my friend found a gas tank skid there a couple months ago for $5, he has no use for it so its mine for $5

i don't know if i mentioned before but the jeep had a chili pepper red grill, i got some rattle cans and fixed that, the color isn't a perfect match but its close. even though its got a crappy rattle can paint job on the clip, it looks better than it did before!

heres some pics from my adventures today. i didn't get anything installed tonight because all the neighborhood kids are out trick or treating and i have no room in the garage for the jeep

Unread 10-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Showtime3492
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If ya dont mind me askin what happened to your tj?
Showtime3492 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime3492 View Post
If ya dont mind me askin what happened to your tj?
she rolled at rausch

heres the build thread for the tj http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...budget-866100/

Unread 10-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
2000BB6
2000 XJ Cherokee 

welcome to the XJ side

sorry about the TJ
Unread 10-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
ItsaFinRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

keep up the good work... what i mean by that is you did awesome with the tj now its time to keep it up with the xj
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/itsafinrubicon-build-thread-1012286/"]2004 Jeep Rubicon[/URL] [SIZE="2"][/SIZE] ::[/SIZE] [SIZE="1"]|R.C. 4"|PSC|Smittybilt|35" KM1|QTec|R.C.|[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Dtowngoalie;9869864]rausch frock rauschhhhhhhhhhhh[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=ajamison;11841284]trails frock trailssssss![/QUOTE]
ItsaFinRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2010, 12:18 AM   #7
Showtime3492
2000 XJ Cherokee 

sorry to hear that man but welcome to the xjs
Showtime3492 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

im thinking about getting a new set of tires for this winter, im a bit skeptical about these hankook m/t's... i know i want 33x10.50s, but im undecided between BFG all terrains, or mud terrains... i wish i could get the old km1's but they aren't easy to find these days. what do you guys think, BFG all terrains or mud terrains?
Unread 11-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
ItsaFinRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i want the km1's too but i can't find them for cheap anywhere. so its up to you. the regular a/ts are good but suck when about quarter tread or less. but brand new they're nice
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/itsafinrubicon-build-thread-1012286/"]2004 Jeep Rubicon[/URL] [SIZE="2"][/SIZE] ::[/SIZE] [SIZE="1"]|R.C. 4"|PSC|Smittybilt|35" KM1|QTec|R.C.|[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Dtowngoalie;9869864]rausch frock rauschhhhhhhhhhhh[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=ajamison;11841284]trails frock trailssssss![/QUOTE]
ItsaFinRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sucks to hear about the TJ. The XJ looks pretty nice. So how long before 1 tons, full exo, and massive body cuts?
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
Sucks to hear about the TJ. The XJ looks pretty nice. So how long before 1 tons, full exo, and massive body cuts?
When you do that

XJ looks good buddy. Too bad about the TJ.
Unread 11-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #12
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
maybe a year or two till i get into the tons and stuff, i need my own garage to work on it in, and a replacement daily driver
Unread 11-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #13
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

i ordered a rock crawler double shear track bar yesterday, it can't come soon enough.. the rustys track bar that is on the jeep is on its last leg, the steering is sooo squirrelly
Unread 11-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #14
Fischey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So I don't understand, you didn't get any money from your insurance for the TJ?

If anyone is in the York area and wants to go wheeling let me know I'm always down!
Fischey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #15
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischey View Post
So I don't understand, you didn't get any money from your insurance for the TJ?
no they gave me full value for it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.