Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

ajamison's backwoods comanche build

65K views 339 replies 40 participants last post by  Dusty96XJ 
#1 ·
just traded my 1 ton yj this morning for my newest project...

its a '91 MJ that so far has been turning heads here around town. this is my 7th jeep that i've owned in the past 6 years. im a firm supporter of built not bought but let me tell ya what, after this many jeeps it doesnt make a difference. i know y'all are gonna bag on me for getting rid of the yj on 40's and with a dana 60/14bolt, full hydro, yada yada yada. but in all reality, it was more fun building that jeep than wheeling it. it took the challenge away from wheeling. the hassle of trailering to the offroad park, and not being able to drive my jeep on the street drove me to the decision of getting rid of it

with that being said, the plan for this build (is it really a build since its already built?) is to create an expedition jeep that is a drive anywhere do anything jeep, with the most important aspect being that i plan to drive the jeep to the trails (with occasional exceptions of it being a trailer queen).

I've got a firm building platform, 4.0L/5 speed, something like 5 inches of lift, fresh long arms, bumpers & armor, 4:1 teralow, and decent 33s.

anyways here is what i will be working with.. more details later. let me know what y'all think!!!

and incase y'all missed it, heres my old YJ on the trailer this morning before i headed up to make the trade...

See less See more
#6 ·
blackouttj said:
Sweet! What rears are under it? I thought I spied a cad d 30 in the front
It's got a 30 front and 44 rear. The 30 has 4.10s and the rear has some oddball 3.29 gear set in it. I have a 4.10 r&p for it, and 4.88s for the whole jeep. I think I'll probably just do 4.10 in the rear to keep highway drivability. It's got a bunch of arb stuff, pretty much everything but the lockers lol

#16 ·
worked on setting up the 4.10s in the rear this weekend. the gears are third hand (used twice previously), and the shim packs in the motive gear install kit were lacking variety to say the least. with that being said, i got an acceptable pattern, but not quite perfect. the coast pattern had a bit too much toe for my liking. we'll see what happens.

here i had to drill out the carrier for use of the 7/16 ring gear bolts (i used thick cut 4.10s so i could utilize the stock 3.92 & down carrier)

normal bolts and thick cut gear bolts

giving the old bearings a little warmth with a hair dryer. i chose not to use a torch in fear of warping the carrier.

after about 5 minutes with the hair dryer on high, my little rig popped the bearings right off

after i got everything set up the way i wanted i removed my set up bearings and installed the new timken bearings that came with the kit.

finished product, including an aussie locker

final product

I am in the middle of final assembly, shafts, brakes, gear fluid, etc.. i called it quits for the night so i could get groceries, eat supper and do homework. since i have class after work monday I wont be able to finish up till tuesday. i was hoping to have it dont because its cheaper to drive the jeep than my diesel, which i just put $100 in and that wont last me all week :eek:

#26 ·
i still dont know what happened, but i pulled out 3 and a half chewed up pins, 3 springs and a bunch of shavings from the magnet. guess i wasnt paying attention when i installed the aussie. the locker itself showed no signs of damage, and the gears are not damaged. i threw in the spider gears so i can make it to the mountains tomorrow for a little exploring!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.