Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

ajamison's backwoods comanche build

65K views 339 replies 40 participants last post by  Dusty96XJ 
#1 ·
just traded my 1 ton yj this morning for my newest project...

its a '91 MJ that so far has been turning heads here around town. this is my 7th jeep that i've owned in the past 6 years. im a firm supporter of built not bought but let me tell ya what, after this many jeeps it doesnt make a difference. i know y'all are gonna bag on me for getting rid of the yj on 40's and with a dana 60/14bolt, full hydro, yada yada yada. but in all reality, it was more fun building that jeep than wheeling it. it took the challenge away from wheeling. the hassle of trailering to the offroad park, and not being able to drive my jeep on the street drove me to the decision of getting rid of it

with that being said, the plan for this build (is it really a build since its already built?) is to create an expedition jeep that is a drive anywhere do anything jeep, with the most important aspect being that i plan to drive the jeep to the trails (with occasional exceptions of it being a trailer queen).

I've got a firm building platform, 4.0L/5 speed, something like 5 inches of lift, fresh long arms, bumpers & armor, 4:1 teralow, and decent 33s.

anyways here is what i will be working with.. more details later. let me know what y'all think!!!

and incase y'all missed it, heres my old YJ on the trailer this morning before i headed up to make the trade...

See less See more
#139 ·
blackouttj said:
You noticing any axle wrap with the soa setup?
The furthest I drove it was 50 yards to flex on that hill haha I still need to see if it has any wrap. I used anti wrap leaf spring perches. Hopefully I won't need to build a traction bar

Sent from my Comanche using my iPhone

#162 ·
we've got big plans comin up soon, we'll be at rausch creek april 11-14. the king of the hammers qualifier race will be there and they have discounted rates to wheel in the park that weekend. im working on lining up a gooseneck trailer to haul up my comanche and jimmys 2 door, and we may also be renting a camper for the weekend. rausch creek is always more fun when you make a weekend out of it! :cheers2:

#164 ·
I haven't done much to the MJ lately but I have been collecting spare parts for the upcoming season of beatings.. So far i have gathered Spare Dana 30 shafts, a spare 4.10 ring pinion and carrier for the Dana 30, 2 extra front driveshafts, a spare rear drive shaft, an extra spare tire and probably a few other things I'm forgetting about...

Sent from my Comanche using my iPhone

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.