ajamison's 2005 TJ build on a budget - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > ajamison's 2005 TJ build on a budget

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 09-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

ajamison's 2005 TJ build on a budget

If you're looking for the YJ grill swap, skip to page 9.

Welcome to my build thread! This thread is about my 2005 TJ X, I will cover just about everything I have done so far and plan to keep it updated as my build progresses.

How I got the TJ:
Not too long after I got my drivers license I bought a '95 YJ with a 3" lift and some other mods. That was the first and last lifted vehicle I will buy, I spent thousands replacing or rebuilding just about everything on it. So I learned my lesson, if its lifted its probably been beat. Frustrated with all the problems, I put it up for sale in March 2008 and bought a 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee. Less than two months later I got rear ended in the ZJ, it was a total loss. So it was back to driving the old YJ. The day after I graduated high school (June 2008) I bought my 2005 Wrangler that this thread is about. Finally in October of that year I sold the YJ, using that money and the money from the wreck I paid off the TJ.

Here is the TJ on the lot the day I bought her, completely stock:

Details:
4.0L + 6 speed tranny
D30/D35
66,xxx miles on the clock
Full Doors
Hard Top
(Factory?) Bikini Top
Spare Tire Bike Rack

The next day I was headed to senior week at the beach, banking on the 30 day / 3,000 mile warranty from the dealership, I decided to drive it from Pennsylvania to OBX, NC for a week on the beach Before I left I removed the spare tire bike rack which was locked on and I had no key for, and I put some cheapo fog lights on the front bumper.

Ahh the beach

So the YJ was still sitting around for sale to I got to thinking one day and had the 31's swapped to the TJ and painted the stock wheels black (why didn't I just swap tires and wheels?, then I could have had soft 8's). I won't waste space with pics of that stuff, you all know what 31's look like on a TJ.

Being on a tight budget, I ordered a budget boost. Rocky Road 2" BB came two days before the PA Jeep Show, while I was there I picked up some stock Rubicon Springs for $25 (waste of money) and a stinger for $60. That night the lift went on with some help from my two best friends.

The lift went on in about 4 hours with no problems at all. At the time i was pleased with the lift, and it satisfied for the time being. But as you all know, this is an addiction and never ends.

Did some wheeling to test out the new lift...

One of my close friends went to Marine Corps boot camp, a bunch of friends and I raised some money to buy a lift kit for his truck as a surprise for him. Yeah yeah its a yota, but it was for a good cause.

In the next few months (fall / winter 2008) I installed a Cherrybomb Glass Pack and got a good deal on a hi-lift jack with hood mount and a light bar.

More to come...

Last edited by ajamison; 04-26-2010 at 02:36 PM..
ajamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

My next major purchase was a set of (used) 285/75/r16 Interco TRXUS M/T tires on painted Moab wheels.

Gotta keep it legal in PA, so I ordered factory replacement Rubicon fender flares to cover em up...

Did some more wheelin...

I took some classes in the spring, so that took up a good bit of my Jeepin time.. I didn't get much done until around April when I installed a 1" body lift / motor mount lift (sorry no install pics). Here's a pic with the body lift on..

On a nice day I got out the turtle wax and shinned her up. In this pic you can see the new clear marker lights and the wind shield frame light brackets I made from fence brackets I got at the local hardware store.

In May I got a chance to do some wheeling... more like posing...
Unread 09-26-2009, 11:29 PM   #3
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

Somewhere around this time I screwed something up with the D35 and was going through u joints like crazy, so I bought some BDS rear adjustable lower ca's to lower my pinion angle.

I forgot to mention this before, somewhere along the line I did the mirror mover thing, using older style mirror movers with my new style mirrors.
(more recent pic)

and here's a pic of the custom light brackets I mentioned earlier...

okay i think this is the only other thing i forgot, i repainted the wheels (im sure you noticed) to a graphite color.
Unread 09-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

This post is about some of the interior mods I made.

I decided to try LED dome lights, so after a few hours of soldering i popped the new lights in.. I wasn't impressed but I didn't want to throw all that work away to I used the regular bulbs and the LEDs.

For a while, when i wanted to take off the doors, I just pulled the pins. One day I was feeling creative so I made my own kill switch. It was really simple, i just found the right wire and spliced a fuse and switch in it.

I also mounted the CB to the top of the dash and put the mic bracket up at the top of the windshield to get the trucker effect.

My dad gave me a Hurst shifter handle from his old 69 camaro. Wow what a difference, shifting is so much easier with the handle than with the stock knob.

Unread 09-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Hey bro its looking awesoime keep up the great work!
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

Sadly I had to leave my Jeep for a few months to go to work in Colorado. Before I left I replaced my now very bad TRXUS with some used Hercules Tera Trac A/T tires that I got for really cheap on craigslist. Two days before I got on the plane for CO, I helped my best friend install a budget boost on top of a rusty's 3" lift. I will post a picture or two, you can see more here: http://www.yoco-offroad.com/cherokee...n/xj5inch.html

and played at the jeep show

and when wheeling one last time. what a busy weekend.
Unread 09-27-2009, 12:04 AM   #7
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

Since I've been in CO i picked up a 1977 half ton Dodge Power Wagon. Since its jeep forum i'll keep it simple.. here's what the truck looks like now, 5 inch lift in the back, saving money right now for the front lift... the pic doesn't show the lift, i just finished the rear today...

In the past few days I ordered the Rough Country II Series Lift Kit with Performance 2.2 Shocks and 35x12.50 Pro Comp Mud Terrains. I am going back to PA to visit next weekend, looks like i'll be pulling an all-nighter or two. Will post pics of the new lift as soon as I get a chance.
Unread 09-27-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

i will be mounting my new 35's on aluminum american racing wheels, i can't decide if i should have them mounted with white letters out or in.. any suggestions or pics?
Unread 11-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #9
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

well i finally got around to updating this.. my rough country 4" lift is now on and my new (new to me) wheels are on. My 35x12.50 Procomp M/Ts are getting mounted on them in a few days, i can't wait. Here's a few pics... the first one is with the new wheels (with 31s, to have 35s mounted) and the second one is with my old 285/75/16s...

Unread 11-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
MisterO

wow its lookin real good , cant wait to see it with 35's..

two questions tho.. any plans on changing the Turdy five in the rear?? also 3.07's and 35's gotta be the worst combo ever!!
MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 07:33 AM   #11
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongJeep04 View Post
two questions tho.. any plans on changing the Turdy five in the rear?? also 3.07's and 35's gotta be the worst combo ever!!
thanks.. and yes i am planning on doing an 8.8 swap an the rear and a d30 high pinion swap in the front, i hope to be able to find both axles with 4.10 gears, which i can live with until i get the money for 4.56 or 4.88s. as far as the 3.07s go, it sucks on the highway with 33s, but not bad off the line
Unread 11-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #12
thestanger
2003 TJ Wrangler 

really like the wheels
thestanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #13
SgtHatred
2003 TJ Wrangler 

looks good man!!
SgtHatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #14
0blcktj6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamison View Post
thanks.. and yes i am planning on doing an 8.8 swap an the rear and a d30 high pinion swap in the front, i hope to be able to find both axles with 4.10 gears, which i can live with until i get the money for 4.56 or 4.88s. as far as the 3.07s go, it sucks on the highway with 33s, but not bad off the line
Jeep looks great but you might want to consider just doing a S35 in the rear, from what I hear an 8.8 swap is kind of a ***** and when all is said and done it isn't really any stronger than a S35 would be. You might want to PM Never Monday or do a quick search as there have been quite a few heated debates about the topic for more info.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/v...ck-now-908246/
0blcktj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #15
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

thanks for the comments everybody!

finalllllllyyyy after waiting almost two months i got the 35's mounted. i really like the way it looks... i will post more pictures in a day or two when i have a chance to take a few more.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.