after almost 4 years, finally my own build/swap thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > after almost 4 years, finally my own build/swap thread

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #31
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

started bright and early this morning... Dad's neighbor who had the timing light - well, he had one but it didn't work, so a quick trip to town to pick up a timing light. got back and set the timing... twice LOL. in my excitement to be coming down the home stretch, when I first set timing I forgot to unplug the ignition module bypass... so then I unplugged and set it again. it idles at least as smoothly as the old 2.5 I pulled out. the exhaust is louder, but the engine itself is actually quieter (no squeaks, taps, rattles, nothing )

then I went to work actually cleaning up the wiring, removing as much of the original Jeep wiring as I felt comfortable, and removed a few things from the Chevy harness (EGR, AIR pump, cruise control, etc). Then I wired up my gauges (actually, just one wire each as I had already had them installed a few weeks ago... I posted a daytime pic the other day - here's a couple night shots. These are Autometer Phantom II.. I LOVE the look:

then started to run the wiring for the TCC lockup, but lost my printout showing how to hook the relay to the brake switch (got that a few min ago) so I'll do that tomorrow.
with everything else more or less done, I finally put the fenders back on and re-mounted the things that had to go on the fenders.. then with the thinned-out harnesses, I started the tedious process of looming. my YJ had A/C early on, but hasn't been hooked up for years, and all the components have been stripped out... I used the 2 holes in the firewall where the A/C lines went through - I cut between the 2 holes making it into an oval and ran the computer harness through as I didn't feel comfortable mounting the ECM under the hood (even though the original ECM was there)... for now the ECM is temporarily screwed to the front of the trans hump as that's about how far the harness will reach. in the future I plan to extend the harness and either mount it behind the glove box (if it'll fit) or under the passenger seat in an ammo can.

anyway, here it is, ALMOST done. hoping to finish up tomorrow and take it for the maiden voyage:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #32
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

well I was THIS close... giving up for the time being - Dad will be giving me a ride home later.
this morning started up fine but idled a little rough, and pulled it out of the garage to clean up.

after cleanup, got back in to take it for a test ride down Dad's road and to calibrate the speedo... only got down the road about half mile and turned around as I got nervous I might not make it back without a tow.... the whole way down and back it was backfiring like mad, had the pedal half-way or more and I don't think it was going over 5-10 mph. double-checked the timing when I pulled it back in the driveway, base timing was right where I set it at 2 deg - I know "specs" are for 0 deg base, but in my searching around the last couple days prior to replacing the distributor, seems most guys are reporting smoother idle and better pickup around 4-6 deg.

Just in case, I reset base to 0 deg, and it was no better

so now I'm without a vehicle for a while... at least a week until I can get back here next weekend - possibly longer because if I can't figure it out, I need to wait until my brother is able to get up here and hopefully he can figure out what's wrong. Luckily, my 9-5 job is a telecommute so I don't have to worry about getting back and forth to work - but for round town stuff I'll be getting more use out of my bicycle

my next motor will be a basic carbed 350 - easier to diagnose and adjust

I know something like this is often hard to diagnose without seeing/hearing it right in front of you, but any suggestions would be welcome.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
Unread 07-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #33
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

while I was in the shower I had a thought...
when I was installing the headers (Summit SS Block Huggers) I had an issue where I couldn't bolt it up because the collector flange was hitting the knock sensor... so I used a pipe elbow and slightly ground the collector flange and that gave the clearance I needed to install both the header AND the knock sensor.... BUT, the sensor (and now the iron elbow) was REALLY close to the collector flange. I'm thinking (hoping) the knock sensor is picking up vibrations from the headers and throwing the timing all screwy.

after doing some searching around, I've found I'm not the only one to have had issues with block huggers messing with a knock sensor. I found one possible solution which I'm going to try probably next week (as long as my package arrives in a decent timeframe)... Ron Francis Wiring makes a knock sensor relocation bracket which mounts under the block using an oil pan bolt.

fingers crossed that such a simple solution will take care of my problem
Unread 07-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #34
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Sean, sorry to hear it didn't all work out first time out. But that would make it all to easy wouldn't it? I am thoroughly in agreement about basic and carbureted... that's my plan. All that computer stuff can go away; can't do much fixing on the trail anyway.

Good luck next weekend, I hope the relocation works for you.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1521567/
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #35
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

OK, the knock sensor relocator arrived last night.... fingers crossed that such a simple solution will solve the problem
ksrelocate.jpg

heading out to Dads this weekend hoping to tackle the issue. Haven't had the Jeep in close to a week - I feel nekkid LOL
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #36
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Crawled! I love the rate of progress and I'm on the edge of my seat for the outcome.

Originally Posted by Durt_Diver:
Those pics might be a little too flexy for this thread. You don't happen to have any pics of your friends xj on a curb by chance?
XtrailratedJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #37
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

well relocating the knock sensor didn't do it... ugh, I had such high hopes.
idles ok, but not "great".... like it has a very slight miss, but it appears I'm getting good even spark on all 8... and when revving (or trying to drive) it sputters and backfires... and when trying to drive, I have the pedal down 1/2 way (or more) and it's barely hitting 5-10 mph and sputters and backfires the whole way. then when I step on the brake it stalls.
according to the tach, the idle is right around 600-ish. maybe a LITTLE low, but I don't think it's TOO low is it? if so, how the heck to I raise it? there's no idle adjustment screw.

there are no vacuum leaks according to the carb cleaner test, I've set base timing pretty much everywhere from -2 to +6 with no noticeable difference. there are no visible cracks/damage to the cap or rotor.

any suggestions welcome.... visits to come help even more welcome LOL
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #38
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

try checking again for a vacuum leak at the base of the throttle body were it bolts to the intake, does it still have a egr valve, maybe take it off and put a block plate on it and see what happens

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #39
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I hate to even think it, but does the new set up have the OBDII involved? Maybe put a scanner on it, and see if there are any codes...

My Build Thread:
Unread 07-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #40
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

no OBDII, it's a 1988 TBI system, and EGR has been removed and blocked off at manifold
Unread 07-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #41
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Is there an ECM? Do you know if you are throwing any codes? It sounds to me like a MAFS/TPS type issue.
caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #42
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

no codes that tell me anything... so far, just 12 which (I believe) is diagnostic status - basically just telling me the check ingine light is working

new TPS and IACV... MAP sensor tests out good, 4.5v down to 1 with vacuum... all vacuum lines good, TB seal to intake good, the vacuum lines that are in use have all been replaced, and those ports not being used have been plugged/sealed. no change in idle when spraying starting fluid around base and vacuum connections.

haven't been able to re-check the timing because my brand new light crapped out on me... FWIW, don't buy the "Actron" brand of timing lights found at Advance Auto Parts... piece of crap. I found someone on Craigslist selling an older Sears/Penske light locally for a decent price- going to check it out tomorrow evening if he still has it.

anyone know how (if possible) to test the ESC/EST module on this motor?
also, without removing the water pump and timing cover, is there a way to see if maybe there's too much play/slack in the timing chain?

I figured it would have SOME stumbling and rough idle until it "worked out" from sitting a little over a year, but didn't think it would be THIS bad.... it actually idled and revved pretty good before I removed it from the blazer
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #43
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Once your oil pressure has built up, there shouldn't be any mechanical reason for a stumble... Once the lifters are pumped up, everything else just goes round and round. Electronically, however is a whole nother bag of worms. I'll try to remember to bring this up to a buddy of mine Monday, he deals with this kind of stuff frequently, and is an excellent diagnostician.

As far as the chain goes, You should be able to pop the distributor cap off, and turn the crank pulley back and forth to get a VERY rough idea of slack. If you have much over 100k on the motor, you might want to think about throwing a timing set in there though.

My Build Thread:
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #44
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ok, spent most of today on different things I could check... I pulled the dist cap and put a wrench on the crank and turned, there was a LITTLE movement before the rotor turned, but I don't know if it was enough to be considered "too slack". given the motor had milage in the mid 80s and it's a relatively cheap part, I'm going to throw a new timing set at it next weekend. Don't know exactly why I didn't do it before the install, but I didn't. will be a pain tearing into the front of it now that it's in, expecially knowing it would've been MUCH easier had I done it a couple weeks ago.... oh well, live and learn I guess.
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #45
knobturner75
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I've read your woes with this swap. I'm sorry to hear this. You were making awesome progress. I don't remember if you mentioned this, and I know it's a simple mistake, but did you check to make sure the firing order is correct?
1996 XJ Sport, wrecked and re-built, Rusty's 4.5" front springs and shocks, S-10 b-pack in rear, Rough Country long arm upgrade kit and sway bar disconnects, 33" x 12.5" x 15" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on some junk yard wheels, and a Homemade front bumper
knobturner75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.