ABCs YJ build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > ABCs YJ build

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 05-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #61
abc_was_here
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
So are you going to rebuild that locker or just leave diff open until the axle swap?
I actually have the spare parts the guy gave me with the Locker when I bought it. I probably could have threw it together and been fine. If I were to put it back in my jeep I would order new springs and pins. However I think I am just going to sell it and find an 8.8 to build and just leave my jeep open in the rear for now.

My YJ build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/abcs-yj-build-1296743/
abc_was_here is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #62
abc_was_here
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well I sold my locker yesterday. Looks like the search for an 8.8/D44 begins. Leaning more at the 8.8 as i can find them in 4.10 gear ratio and I think that they are very compariable to a D44 in strength, only bummer is the c-clip.

My exhaust will hopfully be finished this week as well.

Unread 05-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #63
kmetz71

Get the c-clip eliminator kit for your 8.8 when you get it, problem solved.
also the 8.8 is stronger than the d44 very easy swap if there is such a thing you may want spacers to make up the small amount of width you lose from the exploder 8.8
nice yj
kmetz71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #64
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I plan on doing a 8.8 swap this summer to replace my super 35! I am going with c clip eliminators, chromo shafts and either a spartan or spool until I have enough shaved up for a full case locker! But I have to sell my full steel doors first to fund the swap! Good luck with the axle hunt!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #65
abc_was_here
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I figured a C-clip eliminator was going to be on the list of to-dos. It will be my first axle swap, thats probably why I have been stalling on doing the swap in general. I am a little nervous lol just need to worry about the angle of the drive line. I have heard that it is marginally stronger than a Dana 44. I will also probably go with an aussie lunchbox locker for it as well. I dont really plan on going any bigger than 35's and thats still a long time down the road as my 33's are almost new. I really hope the process goes relatively smooth!

I would almost say rock the S35 until she blows than sell off your hard doors, you may regret it since they cost an arm and a leg to replace. I bet during the dead of winter the hard doors are nice!

Unread 05-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #66
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ehh I am going to put the super 35 on cl for 500 and see if it sells I mean it has chromo shafts a full cad Detroit, 4.88 gears and and after Mamet diff cover! And besides I sold my doors for 800 today so now I have the money for the swap! I can't wait to see your swap pics!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:21 AM   #67
island20
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_was_here View Post
Well I really got hooked on jeeps since my Cherokee. I bought a ZJ for a steal then started saving for a lift and came across this YJ. All stock been in a little fender bender but ran great and interior was way cleaner than I excpected. I had always wanted a Wrangler so I bought it and sold the Zj the next day.

Its got the 2.5L low output with a AX5

Heres how I bought it: I have the fender in my garage just need to paint it..

Also got rid of all the chrome crap on the headlights and bumper

Heres how she sat after the lift did a RC 4" lift:

Added some windshield lights and some 33" BFGs, Still working on painting the fender. As you can tell someone cut into the soft top at one time. Figure keep an eye on craigslist for new door tops or some full doors

Nice build man, how did the 2.5L handle the 33's in the beginning before the engine upgrades. on the road and wheeling? Did you ever use 5th gear after the 33's?
island20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 05:17 AM   #68
abc_was_here
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
Ehh I am going to put the super 35 on cl for 500 and see if it sells I mean it has chromo shafts a full cad Detroit, 4.88 gears and and after Mamet diff cover! And besides I sold my doors for 800 today so now I have the money for the swap! I can't wait to see your swap pics!
I honestly think you could probably get more for your super 35 or at least try. I mean just parts alone cost over a grand.. Nice lol you really got the premium price for your doors! I cannot wait to get started on the swap as well! I just need to fix my "Daily driver" (that doesnt really get driven).

Unread 05-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #69
abc_was_here
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by island20 View Post
Nice build man, how did the 2.5L handle the 33's in the beginning before the engine upgrades. on the road and wheeling? Did you ever use 5th gear after the 33's?
Thanks! The 2.5 did fine. I mean I was expecting much worst when i did the 33's. Dont get me wrong it was still a turd just not as bad as people make it out to be. Road quality was fine, and off road I had a hard time playing with 2wd drive on the easy trails without using my clutch most of the time. However 4 Low was still fantastic. I will say the super minor stuff I did, the larger throttle body and fuel injectors were probably one of the best mods of done. Not that it gave me anymore power but on take off it is almost a night and day difference. Now 2wd drive on trails is more feasible. Otherwise though I dont really feel any other difference in the RPM range it is a little easier to lug it around now rather than shift down at a mild incline. My 5th gear has got a problem sticking in 5th gear, It had that problem before the 33's. I just choose to not use 5th and risk it getting stuck in gear (good ole AX5). So no I have really never used 5th on the highway nor do I never really see a need to. I mean in Oregon pretty much the max speed limit is 65 anywhere it easily does that in 4th a lil below 3k.

Unread 05-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #70
abc_was_here
1995 YJ Wrangler 

One of these may be in my slighlty distant future as well I am getting tired of removing all if my hardware and top to only put it back on a few days later for one/two days of rain.

Anybody run one?

http://www.oconeeoffroad.com/servlet...Top-%26/Detail

Unread 05-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #71
island20
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_was_here View Post
Thanks! The 2.5 did fine. I mean I was expecting much worst when i did the 33's. Dont get me wrong it was still a turd just not as bad as people make it out to be. Road quality was fine, and off road I had a hard time playing with 2wd drive on the easy trails without using my clutch most of the time. However 4 Low was still fantastic. I will say the super minor stuff I did, the larger throttle body and fuel injectors were probably one of the best mods of done. Not that it gave me anymore power but on take off it is almost a night and day difference. Now 2wd drive on trails is more feasible. Otherwise though I dont really feel any other difference in the RPM range it is a little easier to lug it around now rather than shift down at a mild incline. My 5th gear has got a problem sticking in 5th gear, It had that problem before the 33's. I just choose to not use 5th and risk it getting stuck in gear (good ole AX5). So no I have really never used 5th on the highway nor do I never really see a need to. I mean in Oregon pretty much the max speed limit is 65 anywhere it easily does that in 4th a lil below 3k.

Thanks for the information man, my next step on my yj is to put on a RC 1.25 body lift,and some 33's. Thank for telling that it is not as bad as people say it is
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #72
island20
1991 YJ Wrangler 

How much did you get your front bumper for and where did u get it
Unread 05-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #73
abc_was_here
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No problem man, like I said though it is still a turd. I think its just something to expect. I bought the Front bumper from my Local 4wheel parts store. I paid I think 260 for it.

Unread 05-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #74
abc_was_here
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So i am looking to get a few opinions here. Someone i know is selling a 23 spline 231 transfer case with a SS SYE from a 4.0 for 350 bucks, i have been breifly looking into swapping a AX15 transmission into my jeep since my AX5 has some 5th gear issues and dont really want to fix a already weak transmission.

So my question is purchase this transfer case and build my drivetrain for stregnth, and give my an SYE, or wait on the transmisson and build an 8.8?

Unread 05-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #75
abc_was_here
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well I picked up the 231j 23 spline transfer case with JB conversion SYE. It will be a slow project and an 8.8 will come first but I picked the TC up for 250 so I couldnt let it pass.

On another note wheeling yesterday and will need to get Rocker Guards now lol I bumped my drivers side

heres the trail I hit my rocker on

Same trail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.