_KONG_'s Build/Wheeling Thread - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > _KONG_'s Build/Wheeling Thread

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #166
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice. I agree to get a bottle as soon as you can. Gas is sooo much cleaner and easier to use. Especially for learning. Check out Airgas on the first go around they give you the gas for free all you pay for is the bottle. I believe they were the cheapest to exchange cylinders too.

Moabrubi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #167
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEcrawlerTJ01 View Post
My opinion is get a bottle as soon as you can

Much better looking welds and easier to use

and that 180 is plenty strong for 90% of what we do to our jeeps

Our 140 has never let us down. We leave it on the hottest setting and can weld 1/4in no problem
Yeah I will soon hopefully. I just want to be able to put down a strong weld that doesnt look too much like ****. Im sure with enough practice i'll be able to lay down some solid welds. The goal is to drag my rig through the hammers eventually. So knowing how to weld is a must
_KONG_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #168
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Nice. I agree to get a bottle as soon as you can. Gas is sooo much cleaner and easier to use. Especially for learning. Check out Airgas on the first go around they give you the gas for free all you pay for is the bottle. I believe they were the cheapest to exchange cylinders too.
I was planning on checking them out. Which one do you use? I also have a oxy/acet setup that needs to be filled
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #169
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _KONG_ View Post
I was planning on checking them out. Which one do you use? I also have a oxy/acet setup that needs to be filled
The one here in Rancho, forget the street they are on.They have their own mix that's easier to use. I believe it's 86/14 Argon/CO2.

I need an oxy/actetlyene setup one of these days. I have a plasma cutter but I suck *** at making nice cuts with it.
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #170
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The one here in Rancho, forget the street they are on.They have their own mix that's easier to use. I believe it's 86/14 Argon/CO2.

I need an oxy/actetlyene setup one of these days. I have a plasma cutter but I suck *** at making nice cuts with it.
Cool i'll make sure to check them out and ask about their mix
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:35 AM   #171
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

We ordered the Metalcloak track bar for my dads jeep and I wanted to see if I could use his old Rubicon Express track bar with the frame bracket from my Rough Country track bar. My current bumpstops were set to prevent the RC track bar from hitting the diff cover.

So I tore apart the front suspension and bolted up the RE bar and checked clearances at full bump. I had to clearance the RC bracket a little but I got it to work. The RE bar just kisses the diff cover but still slides down to full bump where the housing rotates a bit and it clears.

So I removed 1/2" of bumpstop extension and left it at 2". Shocks are now my limiting factor due to their 15 1/8" compressed length. So im thinking of getting some Doetsch shocks that are 14.5/24.5. I need to get adjustable arms asap so I can adjust the caster a bit and make it clear perfectly.

Here re some pics to show the clearance

Unread 08-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #172
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'll assume you won't be getting a heavy duty diff cover any time soon lol
Unread 08-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #173
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorres018 View Post
I'll assume you won't be getting a heavy duty diff cover any time soon lol
The barnett one or a half cage like my dads should work nicely. I'll still be running a little bumpstop extension for the new shocks. Its looking to be about 1"
Unread 08-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #174
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

How much lift do you have?
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #175
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How much lift do you have?
I have RC 2.5" springs with a .75" spacer but I sit around 2.5"
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #176
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I trimmed up the front flares today to give a little clearance after reducing my bumpstop extensions. I only trimmed about an inch so its not too noticeable. Also changed the oil since it just turned over 80k. I went with Quaker State Defy for the higher mileage and added zinc.

Unread 08-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #177
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've been running Defy lately too. Been meaning to send an oil sample in to compare the numbers to the Brad Penn I used to use.

After replacing the lifters 75 miles before my warranty was up I got a little more picky about my oil choices.
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #178
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've been running Defy lately too. Been meaning to send an oil sample in to compare the numbers to the Brad Penn I used to use.

After replacing the lifters 75 miles before my warranty was up I got a little more picky about my oil choices.

Yeah I figured the sooner I switched the better. I saw a used oil analysis from a jeep 4.0 on bobistheoilguy and they seem to like it
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #179
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _KONG_ View Post
Yeah I figured the sooner I switched the better. I saw a used oil analysis from a jeep 4.0 on bobistheoilguy and they seem to like it
Funny thing is that it's cheaper then all the other oils that are supposedly better like Castrol synthetic.
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #180
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Funny thing is that it's cheaper then all the other oils that are supposedly better like Castrol synthetic.
Yeah and I remember it wasn't at vatozone last time I bought oil so I just got Valvoline like I always have. Now they have it in 10w30 and 5w40 for the same price as Valvoline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.