_KONG_'s Build/Wheeling Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > _KONG_'s Build/Wheeling Thread

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

KONG's TJ More Wheeling Then Build Thread

This will be my build/update/wheeling thread for all you to see and get to know me and my jeep a little better. The jeep bug first bit me about 3 years ago when i rode passenger on a little snow run through the mountains. After that day i was hooked. My first truck was a 86 Toyota sr5 4x4 5 speed and on 31's. I wasn't really too much into the off road scene back then. so that truck was stolen from me and i was stuck driving a little car for a while till we found a sweet deal on my jeep and my dad helped me out a bit to get it. From that day forward my jeep has been sucking my wallet dry and I've loved every minute of it.

The earliest picture i have of it in its stock form is the first time i went to the mountains with it. I still didn't know any trails and i wouldn't have took it on any snow covered trails in its current state but i still wanted to see the snow.

The first thing i did was take off that chrome grill cover and put it where it belongs. I also took the floaties off somewhere around that time.

Being on a college budget i don't have any money to begin with, and the money i do have all goes straight into the gas tank. But i was able to get my hands on some slightly used 31" bfg a/t and some diy disconnects and i also put a cb i had in my old truck. I wheeled it like this for a very, very long time. Along the way i got some good experience and learned what my jeep could do, and learned what i needed vs what i wanted.

Not disconnected...

_KONG_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Finally about 2 years later I got tired of dragging my belly and smacking my bumper on everything so i knew i wanted a lift. When you want a lift and combine that with being poor i wanted the best bang for my buck and i settled with rough country. At the time i was happy since i was finally lifted. Oh yeah i also became a supporting member and added some tow hooks for recovery

Unread 10-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I got to try out my hooks right away when my friend called me for help because he was stuck in a lake

i then also fixed my passenger side water leak

Unread 10-10-2010, 11:20 PM   #4
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I got a Fabtech prerunner bumper not too long ago that shows up in some of those pictures for a really good price on craigslist. It came with the bumper, a winch mount, and the rollers all for 150.

So the jeep was sitting higher, but riding like crap. Even after a put a couple thousand miles on the kit it still rides like crap so im planning on changing out a few things in the future. If you just want something that will get you up in the air and you don't care about on road and offroad performance go with rough country, or just put some 4x4 blocks of wood instead of springs. either way it will do good in the mud and at least you wont have to worry about sagging front springs, or leaky shocks, or track bars that are too short.

But lesson learned, i wont go cheap on my jeep again, at least not tooo cheap. But at this point my tires were looking small, so i finally saved up enough for some new rubber.

And blacked out the letters...

I like the new look but man does it do bad on the highway. Me and the overdrive off button are very friendly.
Unread 10-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

nice jeep. looks like youre in the san diego area?

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I went to a sand sports expo not to long ago where i found my way to the KC booth and they had daylighters for 25 bucks a piece . So i picked up two and wired them up.

And how it currently sits...

Im dd another car for the meantime to save some money up. the immediate plans are a jks1.25 body lift and mml. 3 new transfer case nutserts and get rid of the transfer case drop. Then start saving up for axles and regear. and ill most likely aussie lock the front axle somewhere inbetween.
Unread 10-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
nice jeep. looks like youre in the san diego area?
Thanks. Im a little north, off the 15 and the 60. Just a little drive aways
Unread 10-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
cherokeej
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i really like your build, your jeep is really nice, i like how you didn't just lift it the second you got it

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/blue-genie-1110176/
cherokeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeej View Post
i really like your build, your jeep is really nice, i like how you didn't just lift it the second you got it
Thanks, it's not that i didn't want to i just couldn't afford it. But at least i got some good experience
Unread 10-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
karlo

Nice mods under a low budget.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #11
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

When wheelin today and got a few pics

Unread 01-08-2011, 01:28 AM   #12
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Clean and simple. I like it.
Unread 01-08-2011, 01:46 AM   #13
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
Clean and simple. I like it.
thanks man
Unread 01-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #14
kbeck983
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice man, very nice.
Unread 01-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #15
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Some new pics over the past couple weekends

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

BL/MML will be coming soon

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.