'99 Wrangler 5.7L Hemi Build... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > '99 Wrangler 5.7L Hemi Build...

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

'99 Wrangler 5.7L Hemi Build...

First a little intro.

I started this build thread on the AEV Product Forums and have decided to mirror it here for more exposure and feedback. I've always loved Jeepforum and the community found on this site. I built my '95 Sahara with a lot of help from you guys and I'd like to share this build to gain ideas, get some feedback, and inspire other Jeep TJ owners along the way. The first posts will be largely copy and paste from the other forum, so bear with me.

Cheers , and it's good to be back home...

-Stephen

Unread 05-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I purchased this Jeep a month ago and had it shipped from Northern California all the way to Georgia. I saw the potential as soon as I found the listing online and jumped on it. My plan is to build a weekend wheeler that is a great balance of fun and functionality, both on and off the road.

Base Vehicle:

-1999 Wrangler Sahara Wrangler
-White (Paint: PW1, Spice hardtop and interior)
-Originally purchased in Las Vegas, NV and has been there most of it's life (zero rust)

Modifications as of now:

-5.7L Hemi V8 / 545 RFE auto transmission swap (less than 14k on the engine and trans) Conversion done by Jeep Speedshop in California
-'04 Gauge Cluster, fuel tank, fuel pump, and evap canister.
-6.1L Hemi Injectors
-JSS aluminum radiator and transmission cooler
-Rubicon Dana 44 axles with factory air lockers (front axle was brand new off the shelf, rear axle had less than 30k miles on it)
-Slip Yoke Eliminator, rear CV driveshaft
-Adjustable upper control arms in the rear
-Lizardskin applied on the firewall and underside of the tub while the tub was off of the frame for the engine swap
-1" BL to clear the Hemi driveline

Essentially this is a stock Wrangler with a 5.7L Hemi and Rubicon Dana 44s - a recipe for a fun build!

Here are the first few photos:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg
Unread 05-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The first major modification will be a AEV Highline Fender Kit, AEV TJ Savegres, and BFG KM2 35x12.50R17 tires. Just got the tires mounted and did a teaser shot in the drive way. The Highline Kit is at a local body shop. It will be painted and ready to be bolted on in a week. I'm straying a bit from the Sahara trim level. The fender flares will stay black to balance out all the white. The spice top, dash, door panels, console, and Sahara decals are staying for now.

12.jpg

11.jpg
Unread 05-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I ditched the aftermarket single DIN CD player for a more factory look. I've always liked the RB1 factory navigation unit and decided to retrofit one in this Wrangler. RB1s are a fairly easy install when swapped into a '03-'06 Wrangler, but the in a '99 it has to be massaged a bit.

The dash cut out, bezel, and wiring harness are different. I found the right conversion harness online to sync the '97-'02 harness with the '03-'06 radio. It also comes with an antenna adapter to update the antenna plug. The most important step to note is the RB1's navigation software will not function without a connection to the ECM-BUS. The purple/yellow wire on the radio harness will need to be located and then connected with about 2 ft of wire to the ECM-BUS wire at the OBD-II connection port. The BUS wire is purple too and should be the second wire terminal on the top row of the connector. I had some spare wire laying around from a Painless Cirkit Boss kit and decided to use the purple wire from that bundle for a clean look.

The gutted dash:

rb11.jpg

The radio is zip tied in place while I test it out for a few days to ensure everything works. Then I'll figure out how to shoehorn it into the dash. It will likely be a 'no turning back' type of mod for the radio itself as the mounting bezel will need to be notched and trimmed a bit for a flush look. I've got a custom bracket that I'm going to fab up to secure it in the dash and a new TJ dash bezel with the oval radio cutout to finish off the updated look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RB11.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	1352177

rb12.jpg

rb13.jpg

rb14.jpg

rb15.jpg

rb16.jpg

I also plan on installing a Jeep Trailguide GPS unit on top of the newer '03-'06 dash radio bezel. The Trailguide wiring adapter was snapped in between the harness adapter and the RB1.
Unread 05-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #5
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I also wired in a Mopar iPod Integration Kit while the radio was out. There wasn't a lot of room behind the dash to mount the module, so I secured it inside the glove box where the iPod will be stored.

rb16.jpg
Unread 05-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The dash is coming together. I've been working on it at night while the other parts are on the way. It's a little challenging getting the newer TJ trim pieces and electronics in an early model TJ (and making it look and function like it's OEM in the process). I still have to wire the defroster switch back into the factory harness, shim the heater/blower controls, and mount the RB1 with an actual bracket. I'm planning on mounting another set of Carling/ARB-style in-cab winch controls next to the steering column - just like AEV did with their locker switches in the 104/112s. The two-switch bezel really gives the Carling switches a finished look.

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg
Unread 05-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The Highline Kit install...

The Jeep really starting to look like what I think a TJ Wrangler should.

Install shots:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

sahara1.jpg

I'm also planning on lining the inside of the wheel wells to protect against rocks and debris being kicked up from the tires and chipping the paint. All in all, it was a pretty straight forward install.
Unread 05-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #8
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

A few extra photos of the install:

Removing the rivets from the metal strip that mounts the Sahara rocker trim.
sparks.jpg

Metal trimmed from the rear fenders. I had the trim a small amount out of the front portion of the rear fenders too - the small lip of metal next to the drainage seam.
7.jpg

JSS Hemi motor mounts.\
motor-mounts.jpg

Take off parts.
9.jpg
8.jpg
I sold everything on Craigslist within 3 weeks. All of the take off parts paid for the wheels, tires, and the paint job for the Highline kit.
Unread 05-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #9
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I took the Jeep out for a good shakedown run today. I disconnected the front sway bar and gave it a run on a few local trails. There is some minor rubbing at full flex in the rear wheel wells. Specifically, on the bottom front corner and a small amount on the drainage seam. I'll address that before the next trip out. All in all, the Jeep did well. Plenty of power and traction. The front and rear lockers engaged perfectly. I love having them operated by independent switches (as opposed to the factory toggle switch).

Some photos:

sd1.jpg

sd2.jpg

sd4.jpg

sd3.jpg

sd5.jpg

sd6.jpg

sd7.jpg

sd11.jpg
Unread 05-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #10
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The Warn M8000 was mounted up this evening.

warn.jpg
Unread 05-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #11
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

A few updates. Nothing too crazy, but I've been doing some tinkering in the evenings now that I have a few days off of work.

I cleaned up the air locker relays by looming all of the wires and labeling everything. Sometimes my OCD gets the best of me...
locker-relays.jpg

The dash is almost complete. The RB1 needs to be shift about 1/16" to the drivers side and it will be sitting centered. No big deal, just some hardware adjustments on the bracket. I'll post some photos of that next time the dash bezel is off. I also installed the Mopar Trailguide and iPod/iPhone dash mount I had sitting in my garage (I like gadgets). All of the switches work as they should. I moved the overdrive switch closer to the drivers seat where it's a little easier to flip when the extra power is needed.
dash-mocked-up.jpg

My battery went out so I swapped in a Diehard Platinum.
diehard-platinum.jpg

The front of the rear wheel wells needed trimming, right next to the drainage seam. Here is a photo of the area removed. I also heavily undercoated the front and rear wheel wells to protect the paint and give the wells an OEM look.
fender-trimming.jpg
undercoating.jpg
Unread 05-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #12
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

New Years ride near Aiken, SC.

new-years.jpg
Unread 05-19-2014, 07:19 PM   #13
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Mopar / AEV Rock Bumpers have arrived...

I filled the tubes with Great Stuff expanding foam sealant to keep out moisture and debris. Once they're dry, I'll peel off the aluminum tape and hit the openings with some undercoating. I did this with my last set of Rock Bumpers and it worked great.
2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

I'm also going to run the IPF 960 Super Rallys on a separate circuit with the relay being tripped with the factory foglight switch on the dash.
3.jpg
Unread 05-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #14
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I finished up the bumper install this past weekend. During the install I discovered the headlight wiring harness loom was dry rotted and cracking apart. I pulled the whole harness and removed the fog light plugs and separated the foglight primary power wire. I ran it to the passenger side inner fender. My plan is to run a relay for the IPFs so they get plenty of power. I want to retain the factory dash switch and keep all of the harnesses clean with no unused wires. And after looking at it, I'm probably going to go ahead and relay the high/low beams as well for the same reason. Hopefully I can wrap that up next weekend.
bumpers-installed.jpg
Unread 05-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #15
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

IPF Super Rallys installed. I took my time and did the wiring right. Built a completely new circuit for the locker, IPF foglights, hi beams, and low beams. Ran the three lamp circuits to seperate relays mounted next to the fuse box. All of the relays are tripped by the factory wiring for a clean, OEM quality install. The dash foglight switch is retained and the factory headlight wire harness is left intact; now it simply trips the high/low beam relays and can be reversed back to the factory setup in seconds if a relay fails. I ran 12ga wire leads from the battery to the relays, then straight to the lights. All grounds return straight to the battery.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

All I can say is wow... these lights are bright! This is a great modification that brightens your lights and takes the load off of the OEM harness. I'm going to replace the headlights with some IPF housings and high wattage bulbs in the near future to fully take advantage of the beefed up electrical system.
7.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.