99 WJ build on a teenage budget - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 99 WJ build on a teenage budget

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 09-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #1
OrvisAM
1999 WJ 

99 WJ build on a teenage budget

I am going to start this off by saying that i am a teenager and have no real income, so this thread is about DIY projects and not thousands of dollars in aftermarket products.
I got my first jeep when i was 15. I bought it from a family friend for $200 after he wrecked it. Fixed the front end damage and it ended up being a very nice jeep. I did a few smal things to this jeep including a 3 inch rustys lift, a homemade bumper and a thrust exhaust.

jeep2.jpg

Last edited by OrvisAM; 09-10-2014 at 06:56 PM..
OrvisAM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
OrvisAM
1999 WJ 

my next jeep was a 1996 grand cherokee orvis edition with the 5.2l V8. I loved this jeep and used the same rims and tired from my XJ on this jeep because it had the upcountry suspension. once again, i did a few minor things to this jeep including a roof rack, a bumper, and a thrush exhaust that exited infront of both rear tires.

Last edited by OrvisAM; 09-10-2014 at 06:58 PM..
Unread 09-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
OrvisAM
1999 WJ 

working on posting pics but it says my files are to large to upload on here
Unread 09-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
OrvisAM
1999 WJ 

I got my 3rd jeep when i was 18. this was the first real nice jeep that i bought. it is a 1999 grand cherokee laredo with 150,xxx miles. it had a 2" skyjacker BB and 265/70/16 cooper discoverer AT's. i bought this jeep for $3,500.

Last edited by OrvisAM; 09-10-2014 at 07:01 PM..
Unread 09-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
OrvisAM
1999 WJ 

when i bought the jeep it had winter tires on it. the first thing i did was install the summer shoes and paint all the faded gray facia with rustoleom spray on bedliner. I liked the look so much it inspired me to build a roof rack that same weekend.

i also painted the grill black and the back peice silver

Last edited by OrvisAM; 09-10-2014 at 07:02 PM..
Unread 09-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
OrvisAM
1999 WJ 

i really wanted to find a way to make my WJ more unique. so i looked around and found that not many WJ's had rear spare tire carriers. so i started my search for one. i quickly founf that buying a new carrier was not gonna be an option with my budget. i though about it for a couple weeks and came to the realization that building one would be my only option. I decided that somehow tying it into the hitch would be the only wat i could make it work. so i drew something up and thought about it for a little while.

i came up with the idea to make a bracket on both sides of the hitch receiver and put the tube between them. the tube would attach to a grade A bolt. also have a pin further up that i could pull out so it would pivate on the bold and fold down to open my hatch. next step was to make a cardboard version so i could better visualize it.

Last edited by OrvisAM; 09-10-2014 at 07:03 PM..
Unread 09-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
OrvisAM
1999 WJ 

i thought my idea would work so i took some steel plate into my high school shop and cut out the brackets. i then drilled the holes for the hitch pin and the holes that i would use to hold the pipe and then welded it into place. i took tubing to a buddies place and used a cheap pipe bender to bend the pipe that would pivate and hold the tire. after the pipe was bent i drilled the holes that the bolt and pin would slide through. i could now out it on the jeep for the first time.

Last edited by OrvisAM; 09-07-2014 at 05:49 PM..
Unread 09-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
OrvisAM
1999 WJ 

the next step was too cut it to the proper height and weld on the plate that bolts on the tire. i painted it with bedliner and this project was finished. oh and i also moved the liscense plate down onto the bumper and wired up a small light on it

It ended up a tiny bit crooked, but i was still happy with it. i expected that there would be a few errors due to the fact that i was no professional.

Last edited by OrvisAM; 09-10-2014 at 07:06 PM..
Unread 09-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #9
OrvisAM
1999 WJ 

the jeep stayed like this for a while because i thought that this was the extent of my fabrication skills. i did a few small things like add some blue LED lights on the interior that shine on your feet and installed an aftermarket radio with kicker door speakers. i also put blue LEDs behind the grill that look killer in the dark.

my next big project was a new exhaust system. im not a big fan of nice looking vehicles that dont have the exhaust tone to back it up. i tried a cheap thrush welded exhaust first. it sounded great on my previous jeep that had the 5.2L V8. but with the 4.0 it sounded more like a civic with an exhaust leak. i was not pleased at all. so i headed to amazon and searched for an exhaust that i could afford. i found a flowmaster super44 muffler and 3inch tail pipe for about $150. after shipping and handling i had $180 into it. It also got delivered on time and i was pleased with the quality.

i welded on the exhaust and also made a DIY 4" exhaust tip to help deepen the tone, it actually made a big difference.

Last edited by OrvisAM; 09-10-2014 at 07:08 PM..
Unread 09-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #10
OrvisAM
1999 WJ 

Once again the jeep stayed like this for a few weeks while i thought of my next project. Me and my girl freind spent a lof of time driving on dirt roads with my dogs trying to find new places to walk them. i found it very annoying having them always messing with the stuff in the back of my jeep. so this brought me my next idea. I needed a barrier behind the rear seats so the the dogs could not get to the very back, they would be forced to stay on the folded down back seats. so fabrication began. i took some measurements and bought the metal i would need. i decided to build it all "Bolt-On" so it could be very easily taken apart if needed. i would try to explain the build but there is no way i could make it make sence. so ill just let the picture explain it.

I also layed down a truck bed liner that i had out in the garage so the dogs wouldnt soak my jeep after they swam. the barrier turned out to work great for holding all my straps and chains that i keep in my jeep.

Last edited by OrvisAM; 09-10-2014 at 07:12 PM..
Unread 09-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
OrvisAM
1999 WJ 

i was browsing through Amazon and found a pretty good deal on some LED light bars. GForce USA was selling 2 21" light bars with all wiring for $190 shipped to my door. i had a little bit of money so i decided to splurge and make the order. The lights arrived on time and seemed to be good quality.

Last edited by OrvisAM; 09-10-2014 at 07:13 PM..
Unread 09-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #12
OrvisAM
1999 WJ 

My next issue was that i didnt really have any good spot to mount my new lights... i didnt want them on the roof just because that would need more tearing apart of the jeep that i wanted to do and i also didnt want to attach them to my cheap plastic bumper. so i got on craiglist and looked for a used brushgaurd. that search brought me nothing, i couldnt find one within 3 hours of myself. so i did some thinking and decided that i could make somthing that would work as a light bar/brushguard on the front of my jeep. so i got on paint and drew somthing up.

i made it desert tan cus that would be the color i would paint it, just to make it unique. so i cut some metal and started welding. i welded a bracket to the frame behind the bumper that i could use to bolt the brushguard too. i then cut and bent my pipes and welded it all together with tabs to bolt my lights too. i also bought some shackles to make a recovery point

i then found a set of tail light gaurds on craigslist for $30 and snatched them up

Last edited by OrvisAM; 09-10-2014 at 07:16 PM..
Unread 09-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #13
OrvisAM
1999 WJ 

i quickly decided that i didnt like the tan and painted it all black with rustoleom spray on bedliner. i also did a bumper trim that i have seen around before. i trimmed around the fog light bezel. i didnt have any rubbing before, but now ill never have to worry about it and it also gives it the agressive look that an aftermarket bumper would give

Last edited by OrvisAM; 09-10-2014 at 07:18 PM..
Unread 09-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #14
OrvisAM
1999 WJ 

ive been at a stand still lately because i have basically built everything i can and didnt really know what to do next. so last week i spent some money and got the IRO 3" lift. I did some measurements and figure that i should get 2 more inches over the lift that i currently have.

I should arrive by next weekend, if it does i plan to have it installed by the end of that weekend.

Last edited by OrvisAM; 09-10-2014 at 07:20 PM..
Unread 09-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #15
OrvisAM
1999 WJ 

today i had an idea and some motivation so i through together a "recovery hitch" so i had some kind of attachement point on the back of my jeep. i simply bought a large hook at the hardware store and welded to a hitch with some chain and painted it blue. came out pretty good, will work well when i burry my jeep this winter.

Last edited by OrvisAM; 09-10-2014 at 07:21 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.