99' WJ Build Progression - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 99' WJ Build Progression

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-27-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
rqukrawler
1999 WJ 

99' WJ Build Progression

I liberated the family WJ from my wife in Jan 08' by buying her a Suburban.

At my folks NM ranch and typical interior configuration for the first 9 years of my WJ's life.

nm-snow.jpg   interior-config.jpg  

Another one bites the dust. Slow roll on Swamp... body is toast but the goodies will live to see another day.
rqukrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2008, 12:23 AM   #2
rqukrawler
1999 WJ 

Sliders went on first, but more goodies in the garage
sliders-only.jpg   goodies.jpg  

Another one bites the dust. Slow roll on Swamp... body is toast but the goodies will live to see another day.
Unread 08-27-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
rqukrawler
1999 WJ 

Build day at last... out of town on business for awhile and had to be painfully patient.

Parts all ready, then first thing first... front LA brackets
ready-go.jpg   la-bracket.jpg   la-bracket2.jpg  

Unread 08-27-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
rqukrawler
1999 WJ 

Next strip out the stock suspension parts
drvr-stripped.jpg   pass-almost-stripped.jpg  

Unread 08-27-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
rqukrawler
1999 WJ 

Didn't stop to take picts as the IRO goodies went on the front, but here's a sneak preview of the GC lifted and the Rubi wheels/tires on.
front-end-done.jpg  

Unread 08-27-2008, 09:01 AM   #6
rqukrawler
1999 WJ 

Dive into the rear axle...
rear-start.jpg   rear-apart.jpg  

Unread 08-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
rqukrawler
1999 WJ 

And the build day (the first one anyway) is done...
rear-done.jpg   done.jpg  

Unread 08-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
rqukrawler
1999 WJ 

Flex test and check for rubbing... OK and posing a little too.

Hmmmm, seems to be working OK.
lf-view.jpg   rf-down.jpg   rf-up.jpg   front.jpg  

Unread 08-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
rqukrawler
1999 WJ 

Now for the real test...

Headed to Shaver Lake area and ran multiple trails over Fourth of July weekend.

VERY impressed with the performance. The flex in the IRO kit and the difference between my older Yota and CJ leaf spring equiped rigs was amazing. Had people doing double takes and asking questions all weekend. Wheeled up into some fairly technical rock sections where most my trailmates were full up crawler rigs. My buddies CJ5 with 33"s (in the camping pict) was one of the milder rigs on those sections.
camp.jpg   flexinup.jpg   hi.jpg   shootthegap.jpg   throughthetrees.jpg  

Unread 08-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #10
rqukrawler
1999 WJ 

Next stop... axles. D30 set up and trussed by me... 4.10's and an Aussie. IRO took care of the D44 JK.

Going to stuff them this weekend. Picts to follow.
axles.jpg  

Unread 08-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #11
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

nice jeep. i love lifted WJ's. one question, why not a front JK 44 as well?

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #12
rqukrawler
1999 WJ 

One word... cash! Ok, two words... time!

I was able to build the front D30 for the cost of gears, bearings, an Aussie locker, some steel and a couple weekends of elbow grease. Less than $500 total. The JK front from IRO is around $2500. All the brackets and everything are already in the right place with my stock D30 without extensive layout and fab... all I did was beef everything up by buying 20ft stick of 0.25" steel and going to town.

I ran a locked D30 on my CJ and never had a problem, so I'm not worried about it holding up.

I didn't want to put any $$ in the rear D35, however, and getting all the fabrication work done myself to put in anything else was time prohibitive. Getting the braket locations and everything right is a big deal. Hence the IRO unit.

Unread 08-27-2008, 03:42 PM   #13
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

that was my guess. i suppose they are factors to consider when building any vehicle. haha. either way, nice jeep

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #14
rqukrawler
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the thumbs up... from your picts it seems your rig works out OK too. Happy wheelin'!

Unread 08-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #15
alex71
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What are you going to do about the differenct wms? Isnt it like 6 inches of so?

Vote for TJOFTY!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...18/index9.html
alex71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.