'99 TJ Frame-Off: Rolled to Bold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > '99 TJ Frame-Off: Rolled to Bold

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 04-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

'99 TJ Frame-Off: Rolled to Bold

Well I figure its spring now and I should start a build thread to document my progress of a '99 TJ I picked up last fall. Its a black sport 4.0L 5-speed: Dana 30/35, hard top, 4.56 gears, 4" RC Series II lift, rear Lock-Right/Yukon shafts, Volant CAI, Edge Trailjammer, and possibly best of all a "brand new" rebuilt Gopher motor bored 0.030" over with less than 10K kms on it.

Shortly after doing all this work, the PO had flopped it on its side. After that happened he realized he was ready to move on so he found a used hard top and put it up for sale (it has a salvage title). I was able to pick it up for $3000, delivered

I currently drive a '00 TJ SE 4 banger with 2.5" SL/1.25" BL and 33s so my original plan was to swap my body onto the frame/drivetrain of the '99. However, after reading all the different salvage builds on here I decided that I will leave my '00 intact and build the '99 exactly how I want it . The body damage on the '99 isn't that bad at all plus I've always wanted a custom flat black or OD paint job that I don't have to worry about scratching up. I will be documenting the whole rebuild as much as possible, and hopefully end up with a capable DD on 33-35s that I can still beat up on the weekends

Unread 04-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Stage I: Rebuild from salvage title (almost complete)
Stage II:
Unread 04-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

To start off here are a few pics of my current '00 TJ SE, the deal with my parents was they bought the '99 for me to work on as a project, and I don't have to pay them back if I can't provide another working vehicle for my sister to drive. As I mentioned before my original plan was to swap the bodies and eventually repair the '99 body/4cyl for my sister to drive. However, after looking at all the different builds on here I would prefer to start from scratch and build the '99/4.0 exactly how I want. Once I have it driveable I will give my sister my current TJ and be ready to rock the new one.

Here are a few pics of my current TJ, its a fairly mild build but a great DD/weekend wheeler. It has a 2.5" Skyjacker susp. lift, 1.25" Zone Offroad BL, and 33x10.50 BFG a/t's. Started off with 31 ProComp a/t's, then added the susp. and body lift, and finally the 33s within the past ~2 years. As much as I haven't minded the 4 banger around town, it has always sucked *** on the highway, I figure when I give it to my sister I'll drop the body lift and put a set of 31's on it to make it more practical for her as a DD/mild wheeler.

^^ btw that's my parking spot for the winter..
One thing I'm going to miss is the cheesy "if you can read this..." sticker, probably get the most compliments due to that than anything else...seriously
Unread 04-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
WV_Boltman
2011 JK Wrangler 

crawled
WV_Boltman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Here are a few pics from last fall when the PO dropped the Jeep off, and I forgot to mention before, the Heep had a 3" BL man with ~7" lift those stock size tires look tiny..

The nice thing about this purchase was I was able to drive the Jeep and confirm the function of everything. Man that motor purrred
Unread 04-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I started out by lifting the body off of the frame, I originally thought I was going to be swapping the bodies/frames but either way I'm happy to be doing a frame-off so I can clean everything up underneath. Considering what it was used for (trail rig) there was minimal rust and damage.

I started by removing:
-wiring harness connecting motor to bulkhead harness
-steering linkage
-coolant lines, radiator, etc
-emergency brake cable
-all the emissions stuff
-removed hood and grill

May have been a few more things but thats what I can think of off the top of my head. Here are a few pics of actually raising the body, we jacked up the front and rear separately and places horses underneath to support the body when it was high enough off the frame:

pulling the frame out from underneath..

I'm very lucky to have my dad help me out with this project, he's been wrenchin' cars since he was 15, and still has his first car he ever owned, a '66 Mustang Coupe which has recently been restored (will post some pics of it later)
Unread 04-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

We got the frame in the garage for the winter so I was able to do a little work while it was cold out. I will be wire wheeling/sanding the frame down and coating the whole thing in Chassis Saver. Everything appears to be perfectly straight so it shouldn't be a problem to get it inspected and insured.

Started off by removing the gas tank and transfer case skids, my plan is to mod the gas tank skid while I have it out (according to this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/st...arance-736901/).

Gas tank dropped:

T-case skid dropped:

There was TONS of dirt in the gas tank skid. Apparently the jeep had been sitting in a mud hole for a while..hence the reason for the rebuilt motor and axles:

Had a little helper while I was washing the skids out..
Unread 04-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
Barrows
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Great job so far!
Barrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2011, 03:40 AM   #9
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Last Fall we pulled the tranny/transer case and split the bellhousing

The clutch appeared to be in decent shape

Unread 04-24-2011, 03:43 AM   #10
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 04-24-2011, 03:49 AM   #11
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Removed the old RC Hydros today, just recently I purchased a set of 3 Bilstein 5100 shocks. The 4th one leaks so I have to buy another one. I got the 3 for $60 and they came off a show truck. Basically they are meant for a TJ 4" lift but they were put on a SEMA JK and eventually parted out. 3 out of the 4 are fine, so for ~$150 bucks I'm getting a nice set of new shocks to go with my RC lift.

Today I also replaced the clutch and re-installed the transmission/xfer case. I am hoping to get this frame painted asap so I can put the body back on
Unread 04-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #12
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a lot of detailed hard work put into this so far... I'll be watching your progress I'll be restoring the frame on my jeep this summer as well since the rust build up has gotten out of control. I'm curious to see what you use for yours and how it turns out.

And this pic is priceless....

IndyORV
B2CARPEN is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #13
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

^ haha lets just say it had some decent torque with those tires and 4.56s
Unread 04-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #14
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My plan is to paint the body of the Jeep John Deere Blitz Black with possibly an OD green hard top/accents. Does anyone know a place that is willing to ship a gallon of JD BB as well as the primer/reducer/hardener? The only local place so far quote me $45 for a gallon of paint (costs ~$25 in the US) and they didn't have any of the other things I need. It would probably be optimal to be able to order it from some place close to the border so shipping isn't too expensive.
Unread 05-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #15
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've been doing some research and I've changed my plans a bit...with Monstaliner colours coming out soon, I think I've decided to coat the outside in red . I already have a gallon of black for the inside of my tub, so I figure I might as well coat the whole tub while the body is off.

I'm not a fan of all entirely bedlined Jeeps, but I think Monstaliner has a really nice texture and seems suitable for the task. Its 100% UV resistant and isn't as rough as most other DIY liners. I'm gonna have to wait and see how the phase 1 colours turn out as red isn't going to be released for a while..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.