99 Rusty Revival - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 99 Rusty Revival

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Reply
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #121
tdls87
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vandalia, IL
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailsurf7713 View Post
They have just about exactly 1" of lip, I am considering doing the same. The wheels are 4.5" backspacing. Only rub on the lower factory arms at full turn. But, those will be gone soon...
Haha, savvy arms in your future?

Fender trimming is hard to get right. I don't want it to look like they have been hacked, because i'm OCD about my jeep.

tdls87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #122
sailsurf7713
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdls87 View Post
Haha, savvy arms in your future?

Fender trimming is hard to get right. I don't want it to look like they have been hacked, because i'm OCD about my jeep.
Yup, exactly the reason I haven't, although I'm not terribly OCD. I have mismatched seats and interior panels, no console, HVAC lights don't work, smashed up rear quarter panels, etc. I'll get around to making it pretty some time.

No, I'm not a big fan of the savvy arms I have now. They're nice, but not the way I would do it. I'm gonna build my own this time around and might use Duroflex joints instead of the Johnny Joints I have out back.
__________________
'99 SE: The "It could be worse..." jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
...I say don't lift but CUT. :)
My Rusty Revival
sailsurf7713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #123
tdls87
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vandalia, IL
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailsurf7713 View Post
Yup, exactly the reason I haven't, although I'm not terribly OCD. I have mismatched seats and interior panels, no console, HVAC lights don't work, smashed up rear quarter panels, etc. I'll get around to making it pretty some time.

No, I'm not a big fan of the savvy arms I have now. They're nice, but not the way I would do it. I'm gonna build my own this time around and might use Duroflex joints instead of the Johnny Joints I have out back.
What about the savvy arms (johnny joint) do you not like? What's better about the duroflex joints?
tdls87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #124
sailsurf7713
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdls87 View Post
What about the savvy arms (johnny joint) do you not like? What's better about the duroflex joints?
Nothing wrong with the johnny joints. The arms themselves however are just threaded DOM. Nothing special went into them. No wrench flat, or hexagonal tube adapters. In the northeast, despite liberal anti-seize application, stuff like this can use a helping hand when adjusting. Also, having a wrench flat on the arm itself helps a lot when you're torquing down the jam nuts, as opposed to putting all the stress on the joints. The Duroflex design just seems cool. Pure curiosity with that one truthfully.
__________________
'99 SE: The "It could be worse..." jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
...I say don't lift but CUT. :)
My Rusty Revival
sailsurf7713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #125
tdls87
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vandalia, IL
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailsurf7713 View Post
Nothing wrong with the johnny joints. The arms themselves however are just threaded DOM. Nothing special went into them. No wrench flat, or hexagonal tube adapters. In the northeast, despite liberal anti-seize application, stuff like this can use a helping hand when adjusting. Also, having a wrench flat on the arm itself helps a lot when you're torquing down the jam nuts, as opposed to putting all the stress on the joints. The Duroflex design just seems cool. Pure curiosity with that one truthfully.
I here ya on living in the north.

I didn't know flats or hexagon weren't on the arms. That would be a nice convenience.

What does your rim and tire combo weigh? how much is one rim? I'm looking at some black rock 909 15x8 4.0" backspacing, and they weigh 19 lbs each. I currently have Cragar soft 8's 15x8 4.0" backspacing and they weigh in at 29 lbs each. I think shaving 10 lbs. each is going to do wonders.

Was there a significant difference on your jeep?
tdls87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #126
sailsurf7713
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdls87 View Post
I here ya on living in the north.

I didn't know flats or hexagon weren't on the arms. That would be a nice convenience.

What does your rim and tire combo weigh? how much is one rim? I'm looking at some black rock 909 15x8 4.0" backspacing, and they weigh 19 lbs each. I currently have Cragar soft 8's 15x8 4.0" backspacing and they weigh in at 29 lbs each. I think shaving 10 lbs. each is going to do wonders.

Was there a significant difference on your jeep?
Huge difference. I don't remember the specifics, but I went from 15x7" Cragar Soft 8s with 30x9.5" General Grabber AT2s to this combo. So 1" taller wheels, 1" wider wheels, 2" taller tires with aggressive tread and they weigh less per tire and wheel by a few ounces.

With the tired ol' 2.5 it'll spin right up to 85 pretty effortlessly. 20 mpg. Really nice and a huge increase in offroad capability. I do sort of regret not going with the wheels you mentioned with some 33x12.5" Duratracs or Kelly TSRs, but this combo works great for me.
__________________
'99 SE: The "It could be worse..." jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
...I say don't lift but CUT. :)
My Rusty Revival
sailsurf7713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #127
sailsurf7713
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,095
Got some little things done recently.

These little guys exploded the other day when I opened the door in a wind gust. Footman's loop hit my foot so hard it bruised. Notice the shattered plastic.



Shouldn't break now.



Little touch of luxury. It was pretty awful doing intermittent myself.



Yesterday, she hit 170K



Still going stong...mostly.



Also have two of these in 13" coming in the mail.

__________________
'99 SE: The "It could be worse..." jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
...I say don't lift but CUT. :)
My Rusty Revival
sailsurf7713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #128
sailsurf7713
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,095
Found a few more pictures from a couple weeks ago. Better idea of the LED tails.









__________________
'99 SE: The "It could be worse..." jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
...I say don't lift but CUT. :)
My Rusty Revival
sailsurf7713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #129
sailsurf7713
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,095
Haven't changed things up very much. I did rebuild the bumper in order to improve the approach angle which was atrocious with the Jeeperman bumper. Did some wheeling this past weekend:





Love the antirock. So stable and keeps the front axle in check much better on climbs.













My buddy said "maybe next year"
__________________
'99 SE: The "It could be worse..." jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
...I say don't lift but CUT. :)
My Rusty Revival
sailsurf7713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 11:28 PM   #130
sailsurf7713
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,095
New profile



More to come.
__________________
'99 SE: The "It could be worse..." jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
...I say don't lift but CUT. :)
My Rusty Revival
sailsurf7713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 05:30 AM   #131
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 4,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailsurf7713 View Post
New profile



More to come.
How do you like the top ? How hard was it to put on this time of year ? It looks good but appears to have a lot of white defects ...
__________________
Sanding is teh debil !

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/just-another-lj-build-1055533/] Just another LJ build[/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/moab-utah-june-1st-june-14th-2013-a-1444235/]June 2013 Moab Trip [/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/tj-wrangler-trailer-build-1427938/]Wrangler tub trailer build[/url]
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #132
sailsurf7713
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
How do you like the top ? How hard was it to put on this time of year ? It looks good but appears to have a lot of white defects ...
Missed something . The top is nice and I think I got my money's worth. Plastic zippers are incredibly stupid, but everything else seems of decent quality. Lots of reinforcing and heavy stitching in wear prone areas. It took 4 guys a heat gun, the removal of the roll bar padding, and a ratchet strap to temporarily pull the roll bar together to get it on . So I don't recommend trying it, but I was desperate to have a rear window again.
__________________
'99 SE: The "It could be worse..." jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
...I say don't lift but CUT. :)
My Rusty Revival
sailsurf7713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
frame repair , Frame rust , mce fenders , no lift , rear crossmember
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.