99 Rusty Revival - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 99 Rusty Revival

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 08-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #16
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think I've inadvertanely created the least interesting build thread ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
...I say don't lift but CUT. :)
My Rusty Revival
sailsurf7713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
GreenTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep looks awsome bud keep up the good work I like the jk seat swap might have to try that
GreenTJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #18
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTJ04 View Post
Jeep looks awsome bud keep up the good work I like the jk seat swap might have to try that
Thank you. I'll post up the details on the swap soon.

Quote:
My Rusty Revival
Unread 08-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #19
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailsurf7713 View Post
I think I've inadvertanely created the least interesting build thread ever
On the contrary man, you're doing some great work bringing it back. Congrats on the re-gear, that's a big accomplishment in itself, now welding up your frame..... not much that'll be out of your reach with those skills in hand.
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Saying Goodbye to a bit more rust.

My fenders had started to rust...not surprised. Bearing in mind that I have a 120 hp engine, I didn't want to go with anything too heavy and I didn't want to shell out the cash for Genright aluminum. The MCE Gen II 3" fenders fit the bill. Excellent guys to deal with and a top notch product with excellent instructions. Took about 5 hours, with a whole lot of slacking off, eating and drinking beer. So I'd say 2 hours of actual work.

Rust:

Damaged passenger side fender:

1st step, cut:

2nd step, fit and drill:

3rd step, look like an idiot:

4th step, complete installation:

5th step, install two wire LEDs which you neglected to understand wouldn't work properly.

6th step, make adapters, because you neglected the LED issue:

7th step, figure out why your adapters don't work .

Alright. Here's an updated shot. I'll post some more detail on the seat installs and the fender install soon.

Quote:
My Rusty Revival
Unread 08-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #21
GreenTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The fenders look great I've been considering mce for awhile I think u just pushed me over the edge to buy then this weekend as for the bumper I agree it would look good with a little trimming
GreenTJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #22
NBBacon
1999 TJ Wrangler 

good work on the rebuild man. but may I ask why on the JK seats? I had a JK for a year and I found them horribly uncomfortable. I found they have even less lumbar support than my TJ.

It is an expensive mud slogging, sand throwing, snowmobile with a heater, convertable toy that as a bonus happens to provide daily transportation.
NBBacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #23
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feedback and compliments!

The JK seats I find pretty comfortable. They're not perfect, but I paid very little for them and the existing seat was for lack of a better word, catastrophic. It was destroyed. I needed something even decent. I was gonna order seats, but had no means of sitting in them first. Ran by a local dealership to check out the JK seats and they weren't bad so I grabbed them.

Tried to get my running lights working today to no avail. Got psycho blinker issue fixed with an LED relay. Gonna have to strip back to harness and intergrate both into one.

Think I'm gonna box off the front bumper right at the frame. Should look pretty good.

Quote:
My Rusty Revival
Unread 09-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #24
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Integrated all of the lights into the same circuit with 470 ohm resistors which work well for the smaller LEDs, bright enough running lights and the blinkers stand out well when on.

Quote:
My Rusty Revival
Unread 09-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #25
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

03-06 Mirrors installed. So much better.

Quote:
My Rusty Revival
Unread 09-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #26
Jachi101
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice build man! Hey what kind of tires are those?
Jachi101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #27
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Kelly Safari TSRs, mentioned earlier in the thread

Thank you.

Quote:
My Rusty Revival
Unread 09-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #28
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Lighting is 100% street legal now. Here's an idea of the finished wiring looks. Tried to keep it looking OEM.

If anyone wants any help on this project, just let me know.

Quote:
My Rusty Revival
Unread 09-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #29
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Now that this lighting junk is wrapped up, I'll be focusing on getting ready to go wheeling this coming weekend. Transmission oil, oil change, new outer axleshafts/ujoints, rubber bushings to replace the poly in my motor mounts, etc.

Next objective is to get the tummy up a bit. There is no low profile mount for the AX-5, so a crossmember (possibly genright's) will go in and a UndercoverFab T.C. skid, aluminum of course to keep weight down, will go in. Also some low profile amid-jeep body mounts will likely go in as well. I still need to put the new frame side coil buckets in, which will go nicely with a rear shock outboard.

Front control arms will need replacing. And the JKS disconnects will get swapped out for an antirock.

Pretty sure I'm going to truss the 35 as I'll probably stick with it. I appreciate its ample ground clearance. Its weakness seems to be mostly related to how much it flexes. I will also TIG the tubes. Polishing a turd, yeah yeah, but its served me well so far and my wheeling style combined with the decent stock suspension doesn't allow for much wheel hop.

I still plan to do the AX-15 swap and the 1.9 TDi, but that's going to be a heavy investment.

I do have a buddy who may be getting rid of an AX-15 though, so we'll all be getting an education in rebuilding one.

This won't be happening quickly, but stay tuned.

Quote:
My Rusty Revival
Unread 09-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #30
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Some pictures and observations from wheeling this past weekend.

Getting there:

Getting to the trail:

Only poser shots on the trail:

The buggies got up so I figured I could :

Think its time to rebuild my power steering pump

Overall, everything performed better than I expected. The rear johnny joints, although in stock orientation, seemed to limit wheel hop substantially. The front will get them as soon as funds allow.

The truetrac never struggled even a bit. It provided ample amounts of traction and didn't decide to assist either of the rear Superior Discovery axle shafts in failing.

I was more than impressed with the Kelly TSRs. On the street they were quiet and handled in the corners just fine. On the trail, they stick to everything. They were good in the dirt, in the Northeast mud, on the rocks, and on the roots. I could see them struggling in southern mud. They do take a little revving to clean out. Others got a little wary when I told them I aired down to 12 psi on the 16" rims, but no issues. They allowed for a 20 mpg average throughout the weekend to top it off.

Front traction, front wheel hop, and breakover were the Jeep's downfalls. I expected this. An aussie will be added soon to improve traction and johnny joint control arms and an antirock to keep unsprung weight in better control than simply pulling the disconnects will be a huge improvement.

As mentioned before, an aluminum TC skid will be added as well as a genright crossmember to keep driveline angles in check. If necessary I will add a SYE and CV driveshaft, but at the moment the pinion angle is still too steep even with the upper control arms shortened completely.

In the mean time, I'm out of jeep money . However, I won some Warn fog lamps at this event, and my buddy gave me an ARB style snorkel head, so a cowl intake/sort of hummer style intake is in the works. Also smashed both my rear corners a little so I'm on the hunt for some aluminum corner guards and both tail lights will be replaced with LED 4" flush mounts. I emailed rokmen, and hopefully they'll be able to make some TJ ones. As they currently make LJ ones. Although, I could just get those and cut them to fit. Also need to repair two body mounts . So the thread shouldn't die out.

I also can say that the Brown Dog motor mounts weren't the best idea. They are extremely tough, but the vibrations even with the rubber bushings are annoying. I would definitely recommend spacers and stock mounts. I would love to have their engine brackets though.

Quote:
My Rusty Revival

Tags
frame repair , Frame rust , mce fenders , no lift , rear crossmember

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.