99 purple xj soon to be monstrous - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 99 purple xj soon to be monstrous

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 08-14-2010, 05:20 AM   #1
purpmasterflex
1999 XJ Cherokee 

99 purple xj soon to be monstrous

So, needed to buy a car since my parents wouldn't let me drive the 04 porsche cayenne anymore. Soooo we went and traded in our 01 excursion and got a little extra cash and my newest baby the 99 purple cherokee.

I have many plans in store for her

heres the list...

4.5 inch lift
33's
bushwacker fender flares
roof rack
all around limo tint
interior and dash leds
xenon headlights
removal of side molding
removal of doors
all around new speakers
headunit
sub and amp
eventually bumpers
tailgate interior lights
cb radio
off road lighting

if anyone has any other ideas for me i would love to hear them, and if theres a build thread that goes along with your idea that would defenetly be a huge help if you posted the link

through out the process im gonna post the pictures, obviously.
i want to know what all of you out there are thinking so post some comments.

Thanks, Ashley.

purpmasterflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
EugeneTheTJ
You want some respect?

2003 TJ Wrangler 

welcome to the forum. nice XJ, but 33s really isnt monstrous....
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
00cherokee
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You might run into an issue with 33's and a 4.5 inch lift. Your 98 is the same body as my 2000 and with my 4.5 inch lift the max tire size is 31's. You will have to cut your fenders to fit the 33's, and there is another problem, you may not be able to find the flares you want after you have cut the fenders.

It will be a nice build, I'm not really into colorful lighting all over a car, I think it looks a little too much on the "I wish my ricer was fast" side but thats just me and to each his/her own.
00cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
purpmasterflex
1999 XJ Cherokee 

By monstrous I mean more of badass haha. I know I'm going to have to cut the fenders so I'm going to go with the Bushwacker flat fender flares. I'm gunna have to put bigger bumpstops for the 33s , but I'm gunna try and make it work.
Unread 08-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
purpmasterflex
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Got all the windows limo tinted and added the roof rack. Also added my DC sticker for some more contrast :P

Also took the side molding off

Here it is with the molding....

And after

Looks so much cleaner this way.

Many more updates to come
Unread 08-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
Seannn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you are going with the Bushwacker flat style fenders I thought i read somewhere on here that some guys couldn't use them on their already cut fenders, I may have read wrong but I'm not sure. Just thought I'd let you know. Anyway, looks like its going to be a good build. Good luck
Unread 08-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
purpmasterflex
1999 XJ Cherokee 

yea im ordering the lift and flares at the same time so that when i get the flares ill cut the fenders to exactly how i need them, but thanks i hope everything goes smoothly X)
Unread 08-16-2010, 06:57 AM   #8
00cherokee
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That looks a million times better without the craptacular plastic. I wish I could take mine off but I would be punching people in the face every time I went to a parking lot with as much as people hit my doors.

Tint looks awesome too, not so much like driving in an aquarium now.
Unread 08-16-2010, 08:05 AM   #9
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

At 4.5 inches of lift a sye and axle shims will probably be necessary to stop the drive line vibes, also consider spending on some nice shocks (Bilstien, Fox, OME, ect.) and not the junky ones that come with some lift kits

The headlights will need new housings for the hids, the IPF h4 housings are said to be some of the better ones for hid conversion.

The dash and interior leds will look awesome (I have the dash in red with white dome lights and red map lights) except for the HVAC controls that just look strange and barely light up due to the tinting.

Door removal is great (also something I've done) but there are some problems:
1) They are heavy to remove and reattach by your self, but it can be done.
2) The fronts have close to 25+ wires going to each door, you can unplug them under the kick panels and
fish them out through the hole, or do quick disconnects (I did the quick discos, more work to install,
works great, much faster than the other way).
3) The front speakers are mounted in them, so you'll lose them when you pull the doors, this could also
cause problem with the head or amp, unless you relocate the speakers to a more permanent location
(like a front sound bar).
4) Once you mod the hinges you'll have trouble lining the doors back up and some doors wont open or close
correctly.
5) Depending on where you live you may need one exterior mirror to keep from being ticketed.

I would skip the exterior "neons", they'll just get broken, and you'll need a massive amount of them to keep the under glow nice and even and from looking like a few thin bars of light down the sides and bumpers due to the ride hight being so high. However if your doing something more like rock lights that is totally different and would fall more into the off road lighting category.

The stock speakers are 5.25 inch, but 6.5 inch replacements will fit in the stock mounting areas with no modifications aside from drilling two small holes.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
00cherokee
2000 XJ Cherokee 

An idea that I had for my xj as far as door removal was to grab a set of bottom wrangler hinges, since I don't need the top part with the winshield lowering hinge, set them where they would go, drill the holes so I don't lose my place, pull the old xj hinges off, brace the inside of the door where the wrangler hinges go and use those, it would be easy removal and easy to put them back on minus the wires but with quick disconnects, like you have, it should be pretty easy to do. If this isn't right let me know before I go and do it, but if everything is lined up correctly it should work perfectly fine.
Unread 08-16-2010, 08:58 AM   #11
StevenXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee lifted 4.5" and 32" tires. I think that is the max without cutting.
StevenXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #12
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00cherokee View Post
An idea that I had for my xj as far as door removal was to grab a set of bottom wrangler hinges, since I don't need the top part with the winshield lowering hinge, set them where they would go, drill the holes so I don't lose my place, pull the old xj hinges off, brace the inside of the door where the wrangler hinges go and use those, it would be easy removal and easy to put them back on minus the wires but with quick disconnects, like you have, it should be pretty easy to do. If this isn't right let me know before I go and do it, but if everything is lined up correctly it should work perfectly fine.
The body sheet metal were you would attach the hinge is very thin and wont support the weigh of the door(~70lbs), if you made custom bracing for the door and the body side it could work, its just easier to mod the hinge and screw with the alignment plates and shims
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
Maverick-4-0-XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Woot... love the DC sticker! Sounds like you have some good plans and have done some research

Don't mean to hijack or anything just wanna show a pic of my DC sticker

keep it up!

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

1998 Moss Green Metallic Jeep XJ, 2-Door, 4.0, AX-15, C8.25.... some mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
It's like being in love with an overweight girl, but dumping her for a hotter girl. Heck yea it seems like an upgrade, but dammit it's just not the same. :D
Maverick-4-0-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #14
purpmasterflex
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Okay, so I know it's been a little while. I have some good news and bad news....

Like every other cherokee (or so it seems), I kept getting a signal of "no bus" and all the guages would stop working. To fix this, I took the guage apart and cleaned everything and while I had it out I swapped out the lights for purple LEDs. They look beautttttttiful i'll post some pictures later after I take a good night picture.

Next, I got some new wheels and tires. I wanted some 33s, but since I'm pretty tight on cash I couldn't pass up some reallly cheap 31 all terrains. I picked them up and got them put on some black cragar soft 8s. I haven't done any trimming yet so right now they rub preeeeettttyyyy bad. But at least they look gooddddd.. disregard my "monstrous" xj....

I'm gunna take some more pictures tomorrow to get a better view of the 31s.

Also, I just order a 3 inch lift. As soon as I get that taken care of I'll sharee that too

Let me know what you think, thanks for looking.

Ashley
Unread 10-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #15
Seannn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

looks good so far

Tags
bushwacker , cherokee , girl , rough country , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.