'98 ZJ slow build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > '98 ZJ slow build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #31
CGlaser
1998 ZJ 

I haven't been moving very fast on the Jeep as I would like. I have not tackled the Pinion seal and Bearings in the Dana 35 as of yet, Hoping to do so sometime this month, but I'm learning not to make any promises on the jeep. Until Then, Just checking the oil in the Rear End and keeping it to small Excursions around here.

Decided I was tired of the Lights being Chrome.. with specks of rust. So I removed the Top lights, sanded, and painted them, with a Little help of KDStewart. threw them Back up there. Look good, pics to come.

Exhaust leak has gotten worse. I think its time i finally address that issue.

Unread 03-20-2014, 12:32 AM   #32
CGlaser
1998 ZJ 

Been A while since I've been on here. Spring Break. Woo Hoo! That means, time for some repairs. Decided to finally tackle the Rear Dana 35, rather than just keep adding oil to the diff, Thinking that the Pinion bearings were bad, and that's why My pinion seal was leaking yet again. With Help from My Father, and some Help from KDStewart, we got this project Underway. (I've been only able to work on it a few hours a night before I go to work, so The help is appreciated.)

Started Off By taking off all the tires and rotate them, Just left the Back ones off.

kstewart-jeep.jpg

After we got the front wheels Back on, We went to work on the Back, Cracked the diff open, Drained the oil, all the normal stuff, Pulled the Axles out of the shaft. (went a little overkill on this side and disassembled the Parking break on this side.)

pass-wheel.jpg

took out the Ring and Pinion, And this is where we found the real issue with not only the rear end leaking, but the growl I've had since I had since I had bought the Jeep.

open-diff.jpg

The Bearing that are on the Ring have been worn, causing it to be a tad crooked. this has caused a little wear on the pinion (growl, and why it was leaking). took a torch and cut the bearing off pretty easily. Some wear on the Pinion Bearings. Overall the diff. Wasn't too bad, Ordered a Rebuild Kit from Oriley's.

End of day two.

jeep-day-2.jpg

When taking it apart, we also found the Driver's wheel Seal to be leaking, Pulled it out, (Pain to get out). Figured we Would replace Both sides, while we have it all taken apart.

drivers-wheel.jpg

Parts didn't come in today like I thought they were going to, so, the time we spent today working on it were spent examining the Headers that are leaking Up front.

headers.jpg

as you can see from Underneath the Jeep, The headers have cracked, It looks the same way from the top. Going to have to Pull the headers off to weld them, broke them completely, Hopefully we can do this Friday.

Decided that while we were waiting on parts, I would Deep clean the interior of the Jeep. took out the front seats, and rear bottoms.

interior-1.jpginterior-2.jpg

Did this so that I could clean the Carpet in the Jeep.

Door Panels are still off on the front, Still need to put the New bushing set in to fix the door sag. That will be at a later date though.
Unread 03-20-2014, 12:33 AM   #33
CGlaser
1998 ZJ 

Sorry for the Large *** Pictures, I tried to Cut them down a little.
Unread 04-01-2014, 01:59 AM   #34
CGlaser
1998 ZJ 

Got the jeep done last week. Didn't get it done in time to take it wheeling by the 19th. The 20th. Had a break calipar lock up on me. Replaced that this weeked. This past saturday me and KDStewart took our ZJs to SMORR in Seymour, Mo. Good trip. Minor on trail damage (not on my rig). Overall sucessful weekend. Attacking the header problem next. Along with the door pins. Plan on bedlining the front bumper since the weather is getting warmer.
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:10 PM   #35
CGlaser
1998 ZJ 

Got the headers welded back together, found that i had broke. The rear trac bar off... again. Got that welded back up as well. Still need to.do the door pins. But at this point might just leave the front doors off..or see if cant get/make some tube doors for the summer.
Unread 07-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #36
CGlaser
1998 ZJ 

Took The Panty Dropper to Kansas Rocks offroad Park, Did pretty well considering I have open Diffs, a Dana 35 rear. Butted up against a Tree and dented in my rear Hatch. Went Back last weekend, Hit a different tree and Broke the rear glass and broke the hatch more. Looking for a new one, and repairing the brake the is locked up on the drivers side this week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.