98' XJ - Gettin her trail ready - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 98' XJ - Gettin her trail ready

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #106
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
Don't get the ones with hooks much weaker they are te ones with loops are much stronger.
One hook is already off, Im going to remove the other one and either sew the ends into a loop or tie a knot with a loop. Better than nothing for a backup strap.

straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #107
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep

One hook is already off, Im going to remove the other one and either sew the ends into a loop or tie a knot with a loop. Better than nothing for a backup strap.
Yep much Better.
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 02:16 AM   #108
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Not a whole lot going on with the XJ right now but I am making progress. I installed a RC 2in lift kit on a 07' Jeep Commander the other day and made a few bucks for the Cherokee.

The front strut spacer-

Rough Country says to grind the unthreaded portion of the stock strut studs in order for the new spacer to clear. I found that this was not needed because there was clearance after fulling tightening the spacer onto the strut.

Also put 2in wheel spacers on the Commander

Back to the Cherokee, I started experimenting with homemade fender flares

I replaced my stock lower control arms with Rough Country fixed arms good for 3-4.5in of lift. In order to get the axle to rotate to where I could get the lower control arms in I took one of the control arm mount bolts and simply slid it through the axle end mount for the driver side control arm, with the bolt in place I slid a cheater bar between the axle and the bolt. When you pull up on the end of the bar, looking at the axle from the driver side you would notice it rotates clockwise. I put a floor jack on the end of the bar, after a minute of prying the bar up it moved the axle to where I was able to slide the passenger side lower control arm into place. Once you bolt that up the other control arm is ready to bolt in as well.

New wheelin pics

Going to align the Jeep myself tomorrow. Going to set toe and center the steering wheel.
Unread 12-31-2012, 11:55 PM   #109
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Happy new year man
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

Unread 01-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #110
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Happy new year man
Thanks bud you to Have fun in the snow
Unread 01-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #111
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks bud you to Have fun in the snow
Oh I am. Traction control off. Atv tires fixed Saturday and I'm doin donuts erwhere

Unread 01-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #112
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Oh I am. Traction control off. Atv tires fixed Saturday and I'm doin donuts erwhere
Thats what I just came back from doing! Rear locker + 2wd =
Unread 01-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #113
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thats what I just came back from doing! Rear locker + 2wd =
Haha the gravel roads out here don't get plowed so I just take as many as I can

Unread 01-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #114
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Its been a good day for the Cherokee even though it sits on jack stands with no wheels. I complained and was able to return my tires for a full refund. They were weak in the snow, clumped mud horrible, and were wearing fast. They had almost 2/32nds of tread loss in 1500 miles with a fresh alignment. I actually aligned the jeep a total of 5 times on the alignment rack at school (with my ase certified master tech instructor), and a 6th time in my garage with a tape measure just to check toe. At this rate the 50,000 mile tire would of been needed replacement around 20,000mi. I ordered a set of 31/10.5/15 Good Year Wrangler MT/R Kevlar tires that will be here Monday morning. Im installing a lift on an xj in the morning then Il have the tires put on my rims shortly after. Stay tuned for pictures and videos eventually.
Unread 01-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #115
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My front differential has been droning a little bit so I went ahead and changed the fluid with 80-90 weight gear oil. With the cover off, I cleaned out the diff with brake parts cleaner and while that dried, I painted the cover with rust tough enamel. After resealing the diff cover with rtv ultra black and topping it off with fluid, the noise is a lot better and almost nonexistent. (There wasn't any metal shavings however the diff fluid was thick and nasty)

The new tires came in this morning, I had them mounted and balanced then I bolted them up to the Cherokee. 31x10.5x15 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/ Kevlar

Going back to tinker on the Jeep, thanks for tuning in.
Unread 01-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #116
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My front differential has been droning a little bit so I went ahead and changed the fluid with 80-90 weight gear oil. With the cover off, I cleaned out the diff with brake parts cleaner and while that dried, I painted the cover with rust tough enamel. After resealing the diff cover with rtv ultra black and topping it off with fluid, the noise is a lot better and almost nonexistent. (There wasn't any metal shavings however the diff fluid was thick and nasty)

The new tires came in this morning, I had them mounted and balanced then I bolted them up to the Cherokee. 31x10.5x15 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/ Kevlar

Going back to tinker on the Jeep, thanks for tuning in.
Your Passenger side tire look to be on backwards.

Unread 01-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #117
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Your Passenger side tire look to be on backwards.
They look funny at first but they are actually asymmetrical tires. The guy at the tire shop tried to put one on backwards before I stopped him.
Unread 01-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #118
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

They look funny at first but they are actually asymmetrical tires. The guy at the tire shop tried to put one on backwards before I stopped him.
Looks wrong to me

Sent from Grammar Nazi Camp
MattBillyTayloe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #119
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Oh haha I didn't know that.
How much were they

Unread 01-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #120
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBillyTayloe View Post
Looks wrong to me

Sent from Grammar Nazi Camp
Look it up. On the tire itself theres an inner and outer marking.

Quote:
Oh haha I didn't know that.
How much were they
Enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.