98' XJ - Gettin her trail ready - Page 24 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 98' XJ - Gettin her trail ready

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 02-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #346
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I like the dent ... Gives it some soul .... :-) .... So you can tell it's not some pansy park in the garage so the carpet never gets wet jeep :-)

With a dent like that you will wake up in the morning with some more hair on your chest and your wife will start taking out the trash

Unread 02-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #347
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
I like the dent ... Gives it some soul .... :-) .... So you can tell it's not some pansy park in the garage so the carpet never gets wet jeep :-)

With a dent like that you will wake up in the morning with some more hair on your chest and your wife will start taking out the trash
Haha thank you for reminding me of all the new opportunities my hatch dent opens up! Id like to get an mj tailgate/half hatch combo going on eventually.

New steering is in the mail, getting the Jeep ready for the trails towards the end of the month.
Unread 02-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #348
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

love it ...

Yea the mj tailgate is sweet, but it's a project ... Mine is still only half done ... You do loose that locking storage ... I need to make a lock for mine
Unread 02-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #349
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ahhh nice now you an get over keeping it pretty and get to "getting it"...lol....but seriously my regards to your rear window....I found in my xj experiences the fumes are horrible with the rear window out....and at least you had a metal hatch...I have exploded several fiberglass ones...anyways digging the sliders.....

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #350
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
ahhh nice now you an get over keeping it pretty and get to "getting it"...lol....but seriously my regards to your rear window....I found in my xj experiences the fumes are horrible with the rear window out....and at least you had a metal hatch...I have exploded several fiberglass ones...anyways digging the sliders.....
Humm ... Honestly I never smell fumes ever unless I have a problem ... When I had this misfire I could smell I was not burning fuel ... But most of the time I'm running clean and it's not bad.

I might be desensitized though ... I did dive a cj for a while that no matter what you always got out smelling like gas I love fuel injection, just for the record
Unread 02-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #351
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
love it ...

Yea the mj tailgate is sweet, but it's a project ... Mine is still only half done ... You do loose that locking storage ... I need to make a lock for mine
I would have to rig up a lock for it, but It could be done! Seeing your build defiantly gave me a lot of ideas.

Quote:
Driving back after the window broke out I could smell fumes sitting at stoplights. With the temporary lexan window the fumes have been staying out. I am glad the 97+ xj's have the metal hatch, otherwise the fiberglass would of exploded like yours and driver side back window could have been taken out as well. Oh well it's a Jeep thing.
Unread 02-08-2014, 03:02 PM   #352
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
I would have to rig up a lock for it, but It could be done! Seeing your build defiantly gave me a lot of ideas.

Driving back after the window broke out I could smell fumes sitting at stoplights. With the temporary lexan window the fumes have been staying out. I am glad the 97+ xj's have the metal hatch, otherwise the fiberglass would of exploded like yours and driver side back window could have been taken out as well. Oh well it's a Jeep thing.
Lol ... Love it :-)

Yea I like the tail gate swap ... It will be way better with a cage. It will have something I can put a latch on and the it will close perfect and lock ... That will be way better. ... I need to sand mine down again and repaint ... Baby steps ... Sooo slow
Unread 02-13-2014, 03:10 AM   #353
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Tinkered some more-
Unread 02-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #354
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Overtighted the ax15 fill plug and instead of the threads giving the case cracked. Found just the front housing on ebay which will be here tomorrow, meanwhile a new flywheel and clutch arrived today. RTV'd the plug in for now as I have a wheelin event this weekend I have planned months ago. After that it's time to drop the trans...again...which will go relatively smooth since all the bolts have been out before.

Updates soon
Unread 02-24-2014, 09:53 PM   #355
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Really nice brother ... Jeep is looking awesome. The steering is great .. Man stock steering sucks so bad lol .. It's the biggest pos ... Abd brother I don't miss that snow
Unread 02-24-2014, 10:58 PM   #356
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Really nice brother ... Jeep is looking awesome. The steering is great .. Man stock steering sucks so bad lol .. It's the biggest pos ... Abd brother I don't miss that snow
It gets old quick but I feel it would be worth it if there were mountains around...

Had a blast wheelin the other day, the only part to give out was the alternator-

Volt gauge on dash shows a constant 9v. Put the dvom on the battery, 11.5v koeo, 11.5v koer. It's weird that with 11.5v the starter wouldn't crank the engine over, but after charging it to 12.5 it cranked just barely enough to fire. Ran like crap and died on me during a test run. Local part store checked the alt on their bench tester which said the alt was "good," despite a slightly high output voltage of 15.2v. Still going to swap in a new 90a unit and clean all grounds before re-installing.
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:17 PM   #357
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

jeep jeep....lol....I put 7 a/z alt's on my xj over the course of 2 years...after that I found a guy who rebuilt em for $35, since a/z quit warranting them for me....

Unread 02-26-2014, 12:06 AM   #358
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
jeep jeep....lol....I put 7 a/z alt's on my xj over the course of 2 years...after that I found a guy who rebuilt em for $35, since a/z quit warranting them for me....
Went with the AA Tough One with the "lifetime warranty." This is the first alt I have killed, so tempted to move it up with a wj bracket...

Jeep fires up and holds good voltage, 12.5 off and 14.2 running. Starter may be next but at least now I can pop the clutch and be on my way.
Unread 02-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #359
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ooops I did it again.....an xj followed me home today....

Unread 02-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #360
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
ooops I did it again.....an xj followed me home today....
OH Snap you scored a Waggy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.