98' XJ - Gettin her trail ready - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 98' XJ - Gettin her trail ready

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #241
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep
RC Shackle relocation kit and extended shackle are in. In the current position, the rear has lost a half inch of lift over the original add a leaf. I need to move the shackle one hole back to help gain lift and to get the shackle angle a bit close to 45*.

Next up Im going to trim the lip off the front fenders then start on rock sliders.
Looking good man. We gotta meet up sometime.

[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #242
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
Looking good man. We gotta meet up sometime.
Name a time.
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #243
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I moved the shackle one hole back on the relocation brackets and the angle is perfect. I am very happy with the smooth ride and way better articulation. Using the brackets and extended shackles allowed me to remove the add a leaf.

Unread 07-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #244
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Next up-
Unread 08-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #245
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Slowly but steadily this build is inching along. Put the flux core mig to the side and asked a friend to use his Lincoln 225 stick welder. The main 2x2 rails for both sides have been capped and I welded 2 legs on so far. This weekend I'm going to weld the 3/16 mounts to the end of the legs, attach the angle iron, and work on the outer step. They are going to look like a low profile aj's super square rock slider.
I just ordered a JCR xj transfer case skid last night and I hope the rock rail legs don't interfere with the skid.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Since the last time I have wheeled the trackbar has been popping so I replaced it with a Moog unit. No more popping. While I was under there I went ahead and replaced the tie rod with a Moog v8 zj rod, sleeve, and tre. Also replaced the steering damper.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Track bar axle side bolt and nut stripped out. Picked up a new grade 8 bolt and nut, cut the old nut out of the bracket and mig welded in the new.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Been helping my friend get his xj ready for the Jeep Jamboree in Colorado next month. It likes to throw its serpentine belt when playing in the mud.
[IMG][/IMG]
He backed into a tree a few wheeling trips ago and took out the hatch and glass. Found a clean one at pick n pull during half off day, glued in plexiglass, and threw it on.
[IMG][/IMG]

Il post pictures when the jcr skid comes in, then release the next upgrades. Thanks for sticking around.
Unread 08-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #246
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Managed to get the JCR TC skid installed.
Nutserts-
[IMG][/IMG]
Mounted-
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Hoping to get the rock rails done this weekend. Next up I'm trying to decide on a Tatton rear cv/double cardan slip yoke driveshaft or a aussie locker for the front.

Bonus pics from a few days ago-
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Halfway through a 6in RE lift kit install on a friends 96'-
[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 08-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #247
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Bringing my build thread back to life yet again. Today's update includes the install of an Aussie locker in the front Dana 30 HP axle. The Cherokee is now Aussie locked front and rear and I'm very eager to try it out.
[IMG][/IMG]
Aussie installed with new cross shaft and cross shaft pin-
[IMG][/IMG]
Cross shaft pin seated-
[IMG][/IMG]

JKS mini skids for the lower control arm brackets just arrived. I'd like to get them welded up by this weekend and finish up on the rock rails. I held off finishing the rock rails until the JCR TC skid came in and sure enough I had to cut one leg off each rail and move it up to clear. A little time with the welder and I should have another update. Stay tuned.
Unread 08-25-2013, 01:46 AM   #248
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Locker Works
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #249
ZSXJ430

Nice work man. Coming along nice.
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #250
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSXJ430 View Post
Nice work man. Coming along nice.
Thank you for your comment, much appreciated!

Went wheeling today with a few fellow jeepers and had a good time. No issues with the new front locker however under load going up a steep incline, in 4lo, I noticed something grinding in the drive train. I am thinking the noise is a worn out transfer case chain. Going to order an Alloy t-case chain, new shift pads, and a new filter.

Other than the transfer case chain, the only other item on my list is the leaf springs. I purchased new Crown HD leaf packs a year ago. Ran them with a RC 3in AAL for 10 months, then removed it when I went with the RC shackle relocation and RC extended shackle. Once I removed the AAL the leaf pack was flat, now over the course of a month or two the leaf packs are inverted. Contacting a leaf spring shop tomorrow about getting new leaf packs.

That's it for right now. The Cherokee just hit 175,000mi and still runs like a dream. Once I get the leafs and t-case chain the build will continue.
[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 09-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #251
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Turns out the noise I heard was the mechanical fan hitting the plastic shroud which had popped out of place. The other noise I have been battling is a front end clunk when taking off from a stop. The harder the takeoff, the louder the clunk(s). I mounted my gopro camera to the tie rod and went for a spin. The tie rod ends and ball joints all seemed firm. I figured I would angle the camera to watch the engine mounts, which I didn't expect to be the issue since they are only a few months old. Sure enough, the driver side mount was bad.

Replaced the brakes front and rear. New rotors and pads up front, didn't snap pictures. For the rear I replaced the shoes, drums, wheel cylinders, one hard line that I had to cut due to seized line nut (learned bending and double flaring), and installed a YJ rear soft line.

Replaced the leaf springs, again... Like mentioned before, I bought new crown hd leafs and installed a rough country add a leaf. It worked great however when I went to a longer shackle and the rough country shackle relocation kit I removed the AAL and the leaf pack was inverted.
New "up country" leaf packs-

I went wheelin/muddin with two xj friends, one has a 6in lift and the other is stock, for now.
The stock cherokee is about to get my old AAL-

New leafs flex good-
Been talking my friends into buying Jeeps, little did they know I would be crawling their tires-

Ordered Brown Dog engine mounts and a JCR steering box spacer today. Keepin' busy. That's all for now.
Unread 09-29-2013, 12:17 AM   #252
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Jeepers I have a question. I'm thinking about stepping up to 33's. I currently have 31x10.5x15's and have been looking for 33x10.50's. I'm looking at the Treadwright guard dog B2B 285/75/16 Load range D. The mtr k's have around 15/32's of tread left and the zj in the last picture needs tires. Here's the Guard Dog specs-
Outer Diameter:
33.2”
Tread Width:
9.1”
Section Width:
11.4”

If only I could find 16in Rubicom rims. Remember I'm still on 3.07 gears. I am going to swap in junkyard 3.55's or 3.73's soon. What do you think??
Unread 09-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #253
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nothing guys? I'm pretty set on the 285/75/16s. Any rim opinions?

Looking for 16x8 5x4.5 4bs.
Unread 09-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #254
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Gear wise is say go for 373, I have 355s with 32s. It's not crazy power loss but it is there, I'm not sure what your looking for with rims, check cl and all
MattBillyTayloe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #255
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBillyTayloe View Post
Gear wise is say go for 373, I have 355s with 32s. It's not crazy power loss but it is there, I'm not sure what your looking for with rims, check cl and all
I'm going to start checking the junkyards for 355 or 373 xj axles. Curious to feel 33s with 307s. Do you think black D windows would look good?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.