Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

98' XJ - Gettin her trail ready

66K views 487 replies 20 participants last post by  JeepN4KC 
#1 ·
Whats up JF, This is going to be a somewhat slow "build," however Im always working on her trying to get as much preventative maintenance done as I can. This is my second jeep, my first was a 87' YJ that I fixed up and sold for this 98' Cherokee Sport. Spent some time looking before I found this one. 4.0, ax15, np231, chrysler 8.25, 4dr, and Im the 2nd owner! Getting her reliable before I start adding trail goodies. Things Iv done since purchasing the XJ around a month ago.
-New Dist Cap
-New Dist Rotor
-New Spark Plugs (Champions)
-New Spark Plug Wires
-Flushed Radiator
-New Water Pump
-New t-stat w/ gasket
-New Intake/Exhaust Manifold Gasket
-New Throttle Body Gasket (Cut one out of a sheet of gasket material)
-New Air Filter (K/N drop in)
-New Oil Pressure Sending Unit
-New Coolant Temp Sensor
-Changed Oil and Filter (Rotella T 10w30, PureOne Purolator Filter)
-Changed Trans Fluid (Pennzoil Synchromesh)
-Changed t-case fluid (Dex 3)
-Changed Rear Diff Fluid (80-90 weight gear oil)
-Replaced Both U-joints on rear driveshaft
-Replaced Leafs with Crown Heavy Duty Leaf Springs W/ Poly Bushings.
-Rugged Ridge Leaf Shackles
-Fat Bobs Garage U-bolts
-Replaced Trans Mount
-Replaced Rear Shocks (Monroe Sensa Trac)
-Replaced Tires (Bridgestone AT Dueler Revo 2 tires, 235/75/15)
-Replaced OEM rims with 98' Limited Tear Drop Rims
-Wired in a new usb/cd/aux JVC radio
-Rugged Ridge floor mats
-And last but not least, my first mod. Aussie Locker for chrysler 8.25 29 Spline
When I first bought it -

Doing Work -

Aussie -

XJ with friend XJ -

Current -

Mod #2 is in the mail, the d-ring bumper should be here in a few days. Thanks for reading all of this, once I get a paying job and wear these tires down a bit, Il be looking to get a lift and some 32s. Its a DD with the intention to occasionally wheel. We all know that its easy to go extreme with Jeeps. Stay Tuned :wave:

See less See more
#4 ·
Thank you for your comment. I am looking forward to seeing it finished as well. Im taking it slow and deciding upon the best route to take when it comes to any repairs or mods, to help save me time and money in the long run.

#5 ·
Stayed busy tinkering on the Cherokee today, the bumper should be here any day.
1-

2-

3-

Also trimmed the wheel well splash shields, now they are cut flush with the fender and wont stick out way below the new bumper.

Lastly, just became a JF supporter so I can get a JF sticker :)
Thats all for today

#8 ·
Haha if I had another it would be yours, gonna have to hold onto this one since I already drilled holes in the center console for it :laugh: Its almost 3am and I just finished mounting up the new bumper. It came with frame support/braces for both sides and all new grade 8 hardware. I think it looks awesome. The paint on the d-rings stuck to the paper they were wrapped in so I plan on sanding them down and repainting them red. If only I had a sand blaster and a powdercoater. Either way, pics to come tomorrow (or technically later today)!

#15 ·
straightsixjeep said:
Haha indeed Im loving the aussie, its sad to say the xj has never been offroad so I havnt been able to test it out. However it is breaking in nicely and getting pretty quiet.

Thanks Trent, its seems to fit pretty good!
No problem man. You goin to ks rocks?

#19 ·
straightsixjeep said:
Heres what the HD coils look like.

And the greatest mod ever
Is that what your putting in that coil spring?
And that is a good spot for that sticker.

#20 ·
Yup I need to find a coil spring compressor though. Taking it to class tomorrow to see if they have a set up there, I know they have one for struts where you remove the strut then put it in the machine to remove the coil. For the cherokee you need to compress the coil just enough in order for it to clear the bumpstop so I need the hand held compressors that clamp right on. And I know the sticker fits perfect there!

#23 ·
I tried to just let the axle hang but it didnt provide enough clearance. I removed the sway bar and the shock yet I still couldnt get it out. Took it to school and used a coil spring compressor and finally got one out. The nut on the driver side sway bar link was seized up and snapped, and I discovered the stud on the passenger side link was bent. I replaced both sway bar links and installed a prothane polyurethane bushings kit. Lastly, one coil is in, the 2nd goes in tomorrow morning. Thats all for today.

#30 ·
Thanks for stopping by Matt, so far so good with the locker.
It has gotten pretty quiet around turns and locks/unlocks when it should. For the price and the increased off road capability Im very pleased. I need to get some videos soon. Im now piecing together a lift. Looking for 3 inches so I can clear 31s.

Friends xj

#31 ·
straightsixjeep said:
Thanks for stopping by Matt, so far so good with the locker.
It has gotten pretty quiet around turns and locks/unlocks when it should. For the price and the increased off road capability Im very pleased. I need to get some videos soon. Im now piecing together a lift. Looking for 3 inches so I can clear 31s.

Friends xj
Nice man, I'm not sure if I want a front or rear locker

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.