98' XJ - Gettin her trail ready - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 98' XJ - Gettin her trail ready

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 02-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #181
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep

Lol thanks man. If I did it I would make it pretty, Id use the 3m undercoat around the fender lip. I just dont think I need to with these stock back spaced rims, if I go to lower back spaced wheels I may need to trim. Il just wait until Im talked into it like I was the 1/4 cut and fold.
I have some wheels here I'd sell you

[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #182
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Got the cut and fold done

Quote:

Thanks T, now I just have to decide whether or not to cut and fold the fenders...
Do it
MattBillyTayloe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #183
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
Really clean work
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
I have some wheels here I'd sell you
Pics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBillyTayloe View Post

Do it
Why you mad?
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #184
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank you

Pics?

Why you mad?
Is your lug pattern the same as a cj?
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

Unread 02-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #185
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Is your lug pattern the same as a cj?
No
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #186
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

No
Well then I don't have wheels for you.

Unread 02-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #187
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher

Well then I don't have wheels for you.
Dumb ***.

I be mad cause that cut and fold is sexy
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #188
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Dumb ***.

I be mad cause that cut and fold is sexy
Haha It came out real nice like for my first ever body work (other than bondo on different vehicles). I cant wait to build a rear wrap around bumper. Il get pictures of the Curt hitch I installed with its d-ring receiver next. It doesnt hang as low as I thought it would which is nice. Im tempted to angle the rear bumper until I build one. What Id build would essentially be my front, might do d-rings not sure. Then rock sliders before my rockers get chewed up to bad. Found some dings
Unread 02-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #189
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Haha It came out real nice like for my first ever body work (other than bondo on different vehicles). I cant wait to build a rear wrap around bumper. Il get pictures of the Curt hitch I installed with its d-ring receiver next. It doesnt hang as low as I thought it would which is nice. Im tempted to angle the rear bumper until I build one. What Id build would essentially be my front, might do d-rings not sure. Then rock sliders before my rockers get chewed up to bad. Found some dings
Just take the ball out of your Reciever and put a d ring in and save 30 bucks
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #190
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I'll help ya build one man.

Unread 02-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #191
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Just take the ball out of your Reciever and put a d ring in and save 30 bucks
Already have a d-ring receiver.
Quote:
I'll help ya build one man.
Just need to get some $$.
Unread 02-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #192
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Decided to do the cowl intake. I went to the local auto parts store and picked up Spectre 3in flexable air duct tubing, the plastic mount, 4 self tapping screws, rtv ultra black, and a 3in hole saw bit. I had trouble getting the whole saw bit to cut through the firewall or the airbox, it just wanted to jump all over the place. After if jumped off and cut my finger, I decided to use my dremel and reciprocal saw which worked perfect. First unhook your stock air intake tube where it hooks onto the air box cover. I use a flat head screw driver to pry the plastic hose clamp open, pop the air tube off the cover, un clip the 3 metal hold downs, remove the hose that runs from the valve cover to the side of the air box cover, then remove the entire airbox cover. Next remove the air filter, then you can get at the air box mounting nuts/bolts. 3 total, 2 bolts and 1 nut, all 13mm.
This is the 3in Spectre tubing -
Next cut/drill a hole in the backside of the airbox. I used my dremel for this. You want the air duct tube to fit very snug, so trim and little then test fit, trim more... (the inner circle was for the 3in hole saw bit, the outer was the duct tube actual diameter.)

Heres the tube inserted snuggly into the hole -

I trimmed a portion of the tube so I didnt have to trim the air filter -

Heres the whole setup including the end plastic mount (Dont forget to use some type of sealant around the air tube where it goes into the airbox, I used rtv ultra black.) -

For the front of the airbox I inserted 4 screws in the factory air intake area to help secure the plastic blocking material that I used -

I cut a piece out of my factory rear bumper end caps to block the old air inlet (I used rtv ultra black on the insde and outside of the box around the perimeter of the plastic piece to make it air tight -

I next coated the plastic air duct mount with rtv before I screwed in into the firewall -

Here it is in place -

Here it is complete -

Very easy mod and for $25 total its one of the cheapest mods yet. I dont get the loud noise upon start up that many do however at idle I can hear a very faint suction sound which I like. Also at WOT is sounds good! I have been cruising around all day because the Jeep feels and sounds like it has more pep. Ontop of now being able to go through deep water.
Unread 02-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #193
thenewguy79
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice mod!
thenewguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #194
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy79 View Post
Nice mod!
Thanks! Picked up hockey pucks going to extend the front bump stops. Really torn between flares or the cut and fold right now. Almost need to do the cut for the tires to clear no questions asked.
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:48 AM   #195
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Clean work ... Damn, you did a good job

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.