98 TJ "The Norwegian" build up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 98 TJ "The Norwegian" build up

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-12-2008, 02:11 AM   #1
humbertotrevino
1998 TJ Wrangler 

98 TJ "The Norwegian" build up

Ok so I've made the decision of making a build up thread since I've seen many many threads that have been very helpful...

So a little bit of me and the norwegian...

I'm 21, college student that lives in Mexico, My favorite hobby is rock climbing and I used to have a ford fiesta, small car that would scream scared at any city bump in the road... so imagine that going offroad to the climbing crags... gotta say, I did things with that car that nobody here would have dared to do in a stock jeep...

Always dreamed with my own jeep, since my uncles have their show car CJ's, and my dad always used to take me camping in his (gone) 4x4 Ram...

Finally got my jeep.... it was my 21 birthday present from my dad.... a beautiful 98 TJ... which my friends called "the norwegian"... I wont go into any more details about the name.

so... now you know

So far the tj has a 2 inch bb with 31x10.5" AT that i got at Pep boys, 6" bushwacker flares, a gibson catback, a K&N cold air intake, tube bumpers, a Sunrider soft top with sliders, smittybilt neoprene covers, PIAA 6" lights, Pro Comp wheels, and recently added a winch... I only got pics of the winch install so thats what you get so far... BUT next to come is a 2.5 OME ultimate kit by DPG which I'm waiting to arrive...

here some pics of the winch plate that I did, I have no pics of the building but I'll tell ya...

It started as a 1/4 38" x 12" steel plate for $28USD .... (I have the plan that I did so if somebody needs it I can upload it too) did some cuts (by hand with a saw bc the cutter broke that day), and sent it to a friend that bent it for me in his factory for free, it took him 2 weeks because the machine was using a diferent part that was going to be changed so they could bent it, taking that he wasnt charging for the favor and business goes first, i really couldnt jump on his a$$ to get it done sooner, but then he gave it to me and I couldnt be happier

took it to the workshop and began the drilling and cutting for the hole of the fairlead... by then, my friend saw my idea, and told me that he could have used the laser to cut it if I had told him which would have been nice,but still, I wanted to feel like i did it.

then, before painting, I mounted it on the jeep to test the winch and make shure no corrections where needed, and went off road, the next 2 weeks rained like never in my town, so I couldn't take it off 'cuz I used it to rescue some strangers car stuck in the water... so; after 2 weeks i took it off, got rid of all the rust that appeared bc of the rain, and then took it to the paint shop for some powder coating for $14usd ... this is the result

here you can actually notice that the hole its not perfectly squared, still the clearance its good....

if you plan to do your own winch plate... consider that the screws of the roller fairlead take some space, or you'll end up having to fill those holes you did for the winch base...

Also during the build of the plate, i realized that my front bumper SUCKS big time,,, yeah, it's really off center, and the lamp bases are at diferent distances from the center hoop.... also one side is slightly higher than the other one, having to add more metal fill for the tow hook.

I think next thing I fab its going to be a front and rear bumper, but next to be done to the tj its the suspension I already ordered...

98 TJ, K&N cold air intake, gibson exhaust catback, Bushwacker 6" fender flares, 31" AT, 2.5 OME HD lift, JKS adj. front trackbar, JKS adj rear trackbar, JKS quicker disconnects, JKS 1" MML, JKS 1.25" BL Superwinch EPi9.0, Bestop Sunrider and sliders, PIAA, custom winch plate,
My buildup: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/98-tj-norwegian-build-up-605518/
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
I'm going to beat gas prices Flintstones style!!

Last edited by humbertotrevino; 12-03-2008 at 02:49 PM..
humbertotrevino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
humbertotrevino
1998 TJ Wrangler 

well... i received the first shippment and I should get the second and third tomorrow, so sad it wont arrive in my home...

The first package was the JKS Quicker disco's, man i have to say, this are GOOD, i mean really good quality... they are totally worth the money... I got also the bumpstops and the JKS 1"MML... but the real deal will arrive tomorrow...

I'll throw in some pics when i get them....

Now i have made some sketches of my next bumpers...take a look...

some of the measurements are still subject to change... but is the basic idea...

I may go and pick up the stuff on saturday and start the suspension the next weekend upon picking it up
98 TJ, K&N cold air intake, gibson exhaust catback, Bushwacker 6" fender flares, 31" AT, 2.5 OME HD lift, JKS adj. front trackbar, JKS adj rear trackbar, JKS quicker disconnects, JKS 1" MML, JKS 1.25" BL Superwinch EPi9.0, Bestop Sunrider and sliders, PIAA, custom winch plate,
My buildup: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=605518
Quote:
Unread 09-17-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

pretty sweet work you're doing. i like the winch plate, and those bumper drawings are nice. a couple things i've seen guys regret:

putting a wide front bumper on and then later putting on tube fenders and deciding the wide bumper looks wierd.

also, making a rear bumper with no tire swing

I'm not telling you what to do, and I know everyone has different plans for their jeeps, just thought I'd throw those ideas out there though. Keep up the great work! And post a link to those rock climbing pics!
SHAKEnBLAKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2008, 12:14 AM   #4
humbertotrevino
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey man, thanks for your Ideas, they are totally appreciated,

about the wide bumper, I'm definitely not going to add tube fenders... I hate the looks, (i know better wheel travel bla bla) bit this is a DD and the one i take dates on so it must look a little bit like a city car, so its a total not... still, I'm really thinking about making the front bumper not so big, actually thats the reason I say some measurements will change... 48" will be better I guess...

And yeap, you are right, the rear bumper is meant to be a tire bumper... but when designing it I got a little bit tired and decided to design the swing later... but forgot bout it when updating the writeup...
Quote:
Unread 09-18-2008, 12:57 AM   #5
humbertotrevino
1998 TJ Wrangler 

UPDATE!

here, I had to design it... here is the thing... what ya think?

Quote:
Unread 09-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
98tjsahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work. I'm glad you decided to replace the tube bumper.
Unread 09-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
JEEP97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Those are some nice looking Designs. What program are you using to design them?
Unread 09-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
humbertotrevino
1998 TJ Wrangler 

its a silly program called Sketchups... its made by google and its incredibly easy to use... I mean a 5 yo kid can use it.... its very VERY useful,... and free!
Quote:
Unread 09-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
JEEP97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbertotrevino View Post
its a silly program called Sketchups... its made by google and its incredibly easy to use... I mean a 5 yo kid can use it.... its very VERY useful,... and free!
Thought so, those designs look good, I'm looking forward to seeing them built
Unread 09-18-2008, 07:36 PM   #10
humbertotrevino
1998 TJ Wrangler 

its gonna take some time since I'm into the suspension right now... but it will eventually appear...
Quote:
Unread 09-29-2008, 11:09 PM   #11
humbertotrevino
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok.
I haven't been `round for some time now, but, the reason is because I got a job! and its taking most of my time now, on the good side it mean$ money!!!, on the bad side for the norwegian, the $ wont go to him by now, It'll go to my trip to Norway to visit my girls...

On the climbing side... NOTHING... since I broke the upper shock mount I haven't replaced it and I've been running the Norwegian without a rear shock, but since I'm getting new shocks and springs, its not worrying me too much, still, im not going off-road to avoid any problems... BUT got some pics....

And this is what was my off-road climbing car... who needs a Dana 44, lockers, 35"s snorkels, aux lightning, lifts, super flex, trackbars, disconects?... hehehehe I became such an expert to take this thing on to places nobody here would dare on a stock tj.... still, I didnt liked doing that...

but hey, I can't complain it never let me down, wherever it got in, it went out,...

Suspension hasn't had any updates since the parts are still in USA and havent had a chance to go and pick em up.... im making some arrangements with a guy so he can go and bring them to me during the week... wish me luck so it happens...
Quote:
Unread 10-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #12
humbertotrevino
1998 TJ Wrangler 

hey guys, yesterday I installed my JKS Quicker disconnects if it wasn't for the 6mm allen bit it would have been a little faster but since it was the only bit that I didn't have it turned out to be quite a problem..... the rest of the susp is on the way today, finally someone picked it up for me and should arrive today at night to my home...

PICS!!!!!!

With

Without

I gotta study this week since it is exams week so I'll be a little bit busy. but I think this weekend will be installation day...
Quote:

Last edited by humbertotrevino; 10-05-2008 at 11:28 PM..
Unread 10-06-2008, 12:30 AM   #13
humbertotrevino
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've got the suspension system!

Here are some pics, i got it today, im very very exited, its just,... beautiful this is the ultimate kit from dpg off road, and... well its just nice nice nice... cant wait for the next weekend...

here ya go guys take a look at this things...

there you are!

Quote:
Unread 10-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #14
humbertotrevino
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Suspension install began today, , i gotta say it was madnesss its really taking more time than i tought it would, and we are using an impact wrench so,....
still im having fun.... here pics of today's (yesterday) work, all I did was remove the OE suspension and prepare for the new one.

We where having so much trouble taking out the stock springs with 2" BB that we ended up making a spring compressor in the shop... you'll see what i mean

This is my friend, he studied a mechanic technical career so he knows something

Open your mouth and say AAAAHHHHH

This are the compressors that we created

And they worked

Quote:
Unread 10-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #15
humbertotrevino
1998 TJ Wrangler 

We found out that the new springs, since they weye thicker and stronger ( HD ) the compressor wasnt going to be able to do it without bending, you can see it in the pic, so we'll try to borrow a compressor today,

ok guys, its time to go to end this thing
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.