98 TJ Daily Driver Mild Mods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 98 TJ Daily Driver Mild Mods

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
bensimmons_05
1998 TJ Wrangler 

98 TJ Daily Driver Mild Mods

Hey there Guys and Gals! Ive been on the forum for a while and now I'm going to contribute a thread!

I came down with the Jeep fever when I bought an 88 cherokee that wasn't running as an investment. I rewired the fuel system and did some minor repairs and I was HOOKED! I sold it and needed to fill the void.

img_0529.jpg

Shortly After I hunted down a Wrangler. I found my green 1998 Wrangler Sahara that was bone stock (the way I wanted it). 4.0L Automatic.

img_0367.jpg

The jeep had some transfer case problems. Somwhere along the line the case got a leak, which heated and streched the chain once the fluid was gone, which rubed a nice hole in my tranfer case. I got a I got a transfer case housing half from another Jeep buddy and rebuilt it. I then had to go through 2 output shaft seals before getting it right (the seal would get fold over on the groove of the shaft). Eventually I discovered a piece of laminate paper worked magic! I also realized I didnt have an effective way to check my fluid, so I put together an indicator.

img_0535.jpg   img_0536.jpg   841.jpg  
bensimmons_05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
bensimmons_05
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't yet modified the Jeep very much. Got some Delta headlights, third brake light dots, Black Cragar rims, and a fog light bar, small stuff!

asdf-189.jpg

Yesterday, however, the UPS man brought me plenty to work with this weekend!

1079.jpg

I've got Goodyear Wrangler duratrac 33 1250's , a Zone 3" lift with Nitro shocks, New steering stabalizer, and Cam bolt alignment kit. I am also going to apply some bed liner to my wheel wells and possibly even my poor faded fender flares. The rest is yet to come! I will post before and after.
Unread 04-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sweet! Looking forward to seeing pics of it.
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
TJ Boot Camp
LilyBayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
bensimmons_05
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The weekend went pretty well overall! All of the lift is in! I live in a smaller area so I wasn't able to find a good (emphasis on GOOD) tire place to mount and balance my tires so I am getting that done today. Here's the lift!

I Got er' all jacked up and ready to start throwing down

img_2894.jpg

This is how the wheel wells looked after the initial wash

img_2896.jpg

img_2897.jpg
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
bensimmons_05
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I washed the wheel wells down very thoroughly and then removed the track bar, sway bar links shocks, and springs to I could get every nook and cranny.

img_2901.jpg

I roughed everything up with some scotch-brite. I then taped off around them to prevent overspray and put a hefty coating of duplicolor spray on bed liner. After I installed the front this is how it looked!

img_2902.jpg
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
bensimmons_05
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I took off my fender flares and sanded them down to also coat with the bed liner. They were pretty faded in some spots. The final result turned out pretty close to what a stock jeep fender flare looks like.

img_2905.jpg

img_2906.jpg
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
bensimmons_05
1998 TJ Wrangler 

All that is left now is wheels and tires and to get it aligned. When I have the whole package complete I'll give some feedback on the lift kit itself and everything I used to get it on!
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
YoTeach
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Another worthy but cheap upgrade is the zj tie rod upgrade
its so much better and beefier

But keep up the awesome build thread
YoTeach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
JaikYJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Really nice jeep, the frame is almost like new.
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
joechrom

Looks like fun!
joechrom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
RedStep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Did you run into any problems taking the Tcase skid off of the frame? I bought the same exact lift and was gonna install it last weekend but couldn't get the 3 nutserts on either side out for the life of me. How did you end up getting that off and what sort of tools did you have available?

Nice job by the way, bedlined wheel wells look good. Might have to steal that one from ya
RedStep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
bensimmons_05
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the comments guys! YO Tech, I'm going to check that upgrade out!

RedStep, I didn't use any special tools. My skid plate was held on by 6 bolts (3 on each side). The bolt is kind of large, but I wouldn't see you needing anything special. I loosend each one a couple turns. I then went to one side and supported it with a jack and removed the bolts. I placed the spacer in between the frame and the skid plate and put the bolt through the other spacer and all the way through and started the threads. I did use a screw driver up through the hole to help align the skid plate.

I took some grunting, pushing, and twisting, but I got them all in there ok. I hope that helps!!
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #13
bensimmons_05
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well the jeep is all together and aligned now!! I can give a breakdown of my final thoughts about all the products now

img_2909.jpg

img_2913.jpg

I had to slowly drive the jeep to the alignment shop because I was unable to get my steering stabalizer stud out and I diced it up in the process.

I'm going to break down the products I used.

#1 Zone 3" lift kit with nitro shocks-
First off- PRICE. One of the main reasons I purchased this kit was that it seemed to have the MOST for the least price tag. I like to have quality parts, especially on something I drive often, but unfortunately I have bills I have to pay and a limited amount of income. This kit met me in the middle! As a JeepForum member I was able to get a discount and the customer service was AMAZING. They were very helpful. The kit also came with a bazillion decals (daddy like) so I plan to put the large front windshield decal on soon. The ONLY complaint I have about the kit (which may be my Jeep's fualt) was that my rear tracking was about 1" off in the rear. Everything else the alignment shop had no trouble getting in line. I spent ALL DAY yesterday with the alignment shop, in the mix with them, elongating the track bar mounting hole to get my rear in line! Other than that, my biggest problem was getting the boots over the rear shocks! All in all I give the kit 9 out of 10... So far it seems to ride great.

#2 Duplicolor spray on bed liner- Although the true test of the final product will come with time, I think it looks great so far. If you are used to spray paint, beware of how you spray this stuff! My initial thought would be that it would be super thick gooey... I was WRONG. It actually sprays on VERY thin and will run in a heartbeat. So getting a little further away and doing more thin coats will result in a good finish.

#3 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 33 x 12.5 (purchased from Discount tire Direct)- Time will also play a big factor with these puppies too. So far, I LOVE the way they look and they don't have too much road noise. A smooth ride as far as I'm concerned! As far as the price goes, I looked high, low, and east to west and could NOT find a better deal than discount tire. They also have a discount for JeepForum members I was able to take advantage of in addition to a mail in rebate. Their customer service was also excellent!! I have used them for a number of tire purchases and they always have the best deal to my doorstep in a matter of 1-2 days!

That is all I've got for now! I hope this information is able to help a fellow Jeep owner!
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
Jrolll09
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Appreciate the heads up on Discount Tire Direct. I'm also in the market for Duratracs and will be sure to check em out on there! Jeep looks good. Love what ya did with the wheel wells
Unread 04-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
RedStep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah see I can't even get mine to twist lol my problems probably a bit deeper
RedStep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.