98 TJ 5.3 with 4L60E Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 98 TJ 5.3 with 4L60E Swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

98 TJ 5.3 with 4L60E Swap

Ok, After several years of drooling over posts of others doing this swap, I have finally pulled the trigger and will be doing mine. It will be a long process and I don't really expect to get into the meat of it until after summer, but its finally going to happen. I still have a lot of unknowns on it that I will figure out along the way and hopefully with the help of others that have done this.

I bought light roll over 02 Tahoe as a donor. There wasnt really much evidence that it went over hard, only one scuff on the top drivers side rear, which is why the rear glass busted. Wasn't really convinced that it went over really. I will be pulling everything off of it that I think I can possibly reuse for the build and part out the rest. Anything left over will hit the crusher. I am hoping to get enough cash back on parts to just about cover the costs of the drivetrain.

There wont be much progress on the swap part for a while, for now I will just be working on getting the Tahoe apart and gathering the rest of what I need to get everything up and running again. But here are a few pics of the Tahoe donor to get us started.

I tried to crank the engine over the other day but it only made about half a turn then made a loud metallic pop, not a backfire. Thought for sure that I shot a rod through the block or something. Today I went out and pulled all of the spark plugs and cranked it over by hand. Number 6 cylinder was full of oil, so I guess it really did go upside down. Number 5 cylinder plug came out a little oily, but it didn't puke oil like #6 did. It turns over good by hand with the plugs out, so Im hoping that I didn't hurt anything. I will try to post up a list of plans sometime in the near future, and probably a few pics of the Tahoe coming apart just for fun.

Unread 03-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a tentative list of what is planned:

--Motor mounts from Novak - haven't decided on bolt in or weld in yet
--Transfer case - going to do the hybrid 231c to 231j. Have a free 231c coming (turns out it wasn't a 231 so scratch that)
--Wiring and tune - probably thru Painless or maybe one of the guys over on Pirate. Maybe the guy that wired my dad's track cars. Not sure just yet - found a guy in Columbia, KY that does the harness and flash for $350 ish prob look into that. Close to home
--Exhaust - going to attempt leaving the truck manifolds. Heard they may fit but tight. If not this an easy one to fix - Corvette or Camaro manifolds next on the list
-Fuel - looks like novak is the clear winner there. Seems to be straight forward and less headache
--Shifters - Novak and Lokar
--Radiator - Superior has an all aluminum drop in with electric fan for $450. Prob go that route. May look into cheaper ebay rads and keeping mechanical fan
--Transmission mount - Novak again
--Gauges - couple of thoughts.
1. Run both computers and keep stock gauges.
2. Run stock gauges and send it to Redline and have them work the tach issue to work with the chevy computer. A little pricey at $250 but they claim they can do it.
3. Aftermarket gauges and chevy computer.
4. Long shot but pull the Tahoe gauge cluster and somehow retrofit it into the Jeep dash. I have a guy that may be able to build something for the dash, but is it possible to run the chevy cluster??
Unread 03-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Check out Novak's Tach emulator. Its $200 and is another option for running stock gauges.
Mulvihill64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Started her up again and the loud tapping is now a very silent tap, more in line with what a lifter pecking might sound like. Not so worried about the noise it's making now. She sounds pretty solid now. It choked out a ton of smoke, I guess burning off the excess oil in the cylinders from the roll over. I got air in all of the tires and was going to take it out for a few burnouts just to put it to the test, but a broken tie Rod and something bent on passenger side put the brakes on that. It was like the passenger side wheel was a football, lol.

I couldn't find a 231c xfer case reasonable around here but ended up getting one ordered that will be here next week. Going to try the hybrid case deal. More sourcing parts next week or two. Motor mounts and radiation most likely next on the list. Looked Into an ac relocation kit, might be driving without it not that I ever really used it just wanted it. That kit is crazy expensive and I don't really like the idea of cutting the frame.
Unread 03-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up a 231C transfer case to do the hybrid case. Other than that just waiting on the weather to turn decent to start tearing the Tahoe apart.
Unread 03-27-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The truck manifolds won't work with the Novak mounts. They put the outlets right into the fire wall. Depending on what suspension you have, F-Body manifolds may work and of course the Sanderson headers Novak sells will. The tapping sound may be piston slap. The LS motors are notorious for it and is nothing to worry about.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 06:18 AM   #7
Ryanw10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am actually running the truck manifolds with the Novak motor mounts currently. I was able to space the motor about an 1/8" above the mounts to clear the manifold and I massaged the firewall just a bit for clearence
Ryanw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

With the stock upper control arm frame side mounts, it's probably best to just order the Sanderson (Novak) headers. They are center dump and very tight fitting to the block. They work great with the stock suspension mounting points and allow you to easily sweep the driver side around the front of the pan and join the passenger side outlet. There is a good reason the factory exhaust is center dump and sweeps around the pan just like I am describing: The drive shaft is in the way.

Here's what they look like:

Here's how the rest of it looks:

Nice and tight to the pan, and higher than the lowest point on the pan.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the pics. I may go that route. Was gonna give the truck manifolds a shot since I already had them on the truck, but wasnt very confident they would work. If they didnt work out was going to look into either corvette or camaro manifolds. But seing those pics, those look like they just fell right in there.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.