98 TJ 5.3 with 4L60E Swap - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 03-05-2014, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

98 TJ 5.3 with 4L60E Swap

Ok, After several years of drooling over posts of others doing this swap, I have finally pulled the trigger and will be doing mine. It will be a long process and I don't really expect to get into the meat of it until after summer, but its finally going to happen. I still have a lot of unknowns on it that I will figure out along the way and hopefully with the help of others that have done this.

I bought light roll over 02 Tahoe as a donor. There wasnt really much evidence that it went over hard, only one scuff on the top drivers side rear, which is why the rear glass busted. Wasn't really convinced that it went over really. I will be pulling everything off of it that I think I can possibly reuse for the build and part out the rest. Anything left over will hit the crusher. I am hoping to get enough cash back on parts to just about cover the costs of the drivetrain.

There wont be much progress on the swap part for a while, for now I will just be working on getting the Tahoe apart and gathering the rest of what I need to get everything up and running again. But here are a few pics of the Tahoe donor to get us started.

I tried to crank the engine over the other day but it only made about half a turn then made a loud metallic pop, not a backfire. Thought for sure that I shot a rod through the block or something. Today I went out and pulled all of the spark plugs and cranked it over by hand. Number 6 cylinder was full of oil, so I guess it really did go upside down. Number 5 cylinder plug came out a little oily, but it didn't puke oil like #6 did. It turns over good by hand with the plugs out, so Im hoping that I didn't hurt anything. I will try to post up a list of plans sometime in the near future, and probably a few pics of the Tahoe coming apart just for fun.

Parts list:
-Engine w all accessories/transmission/wiring harnesses, computer and some other random maybe need parts - $1800. That will go down with the sale of whats left of the Tahoe. Sold the Tahoe for $500 bringing me down to $1300 for the drivetrain. Still have a few parts that I took off it that I can prob get a few bucks for if not needed like cats, driveshafts and xfer case.
-231c - $150
-LS3 exhaust manifolds from 2010 Camaro - $200 - can be had for less but they were new and got them with bolts and gaskets
-Superior Radiator with fan - about $425
-Novak weld in motor mounts pn MMTJ-G3 - $212
-Novak Fuel delivery pn FSK-9704NR - $180
-Novak transmission mount - $31
-Novak transfer case shifter for Chevy case pn SK2XC - 170
-4L60E 6 bolt to 5 bolt adapter for xfer case pn 15028096 - ebay $30. Not sure if this is the right one, there is another that clocks the xfer case in a slightly different position.
-Throttle cable - stock cable from the Tahoe with homemade cable adjuster
-Radiator hoses - reused the stock hoses from the Tahoe. Was able to cut them at the bends to make them fit nearly perfect
-Gauges - 6 gauge set from ebay - $230
-Gauge panel - from 12volt unlimited. came with cut outs for gauges and customized for lights - $205. Kinda pricey but will look nice when its done
-Air Intake - cheapo from Ebay - $55
-Transmission Shifter - Lokar 16" from Summit @ $260 pn# ATS64L60EBM. Will add the gear indicator at some point but not necessary right now
-Wiring harness rework and computer reflash - $425

Miscellaneous items, broken bolts, sensors and such - $50
Running swap total so far: $3906

Last edited by Peanut72; 09-19-2014 at 12:45 PM. Reason: add parts list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 03-08-2014, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Deleted, useless info
post #3 of 29 Old 03-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Mulvihill64
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Check out Novak's Tach emulator. Its $200 and is another option for running stock gauges.
post #4 of 29 Old 03-14-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Started her up again and the loud tapping is now a very silent tap, more in line with what a lifter pecking might sound like. Not so worried about the noise it's making now. She sounds pretty solid now. It choked out a ton of smoke, I guess burning off the excess oil in the cylinders from the roll over. I got air in all of the tires and was going to take it out for a few burnouts just to put it to the test, but a broken tie Rod and something bent on passenger side put the brakes on that. It was like the passenger side wheel was a football, lol.

I couldn't find a 231c xfer case reasonable around here but ended up getting one ordered that will be here next week. Going to try the hybrid case deal. More sourcing parts next week or two. Motor mounts and radiation most likely next on the list. Looked Into an ac relocation kit, might be driving without it not that I ever really used it just wanted it. That kit is crazy expensive and I don't really like the idea of cutting the frame.
post #5 of 29 Old 03-27-2014, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up a 231C transfer case to do the hybrid case. Other than that just waiting on the weather to turn decent to start tearing the Tahoe apart.
post #6 of 29 Old 03-27-2014, 10:06 PM
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The truck manifolds won't work with the Novak mounts. They put the outlets right into the fire wall. Depending on what suspension you have, F-Body manifolds may work and of course the Sanderson headers Novak sells will. The tapping sound may be piston slap. The LS motors are notorious for it and is nothing to worry about.
post #7 of 29 Old 03-28-2014, 06:18 AM
Ryanw10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am actually running the truck manifolds with the Novak motor mounts currently. I was able to space the motor about an 1/8" above the mounts to clear the manifold and I massaged the firewall just a bit for clearence
post #8 of 29 Old 03-28-2014, 08:39 AM
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

With the stock upper control arm frame side mounts, it's probably best to just order the Sanderson (Novak) headers. They are center dump and very tight fitting to the block. They work great with the stock suspension mounting points and allow you to easily sweep the driver side around the front of the pan and join the passenger side outlet. There is a good reason the factory exhaust is center dump and sweeps around the pan just like I am describing: The drive shaft is in the way.

Here's what they look like:

Here's how the rest of it looks:

Nice and tight to the pan, and higher than the lowest point on the pan.
post #9 of 29 Old 03-28-2014, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the pics. I may go that route. Was gonna give the truck manifolds a shot since I already had them on the truck, but wasnt very confident they would work. If they didnt work out was going to look into either corvette or camaro manifolds. But seing those pics, those look like they just fell right in there.
post #10 of 29 Old 09-19-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok so its been a long time since anything has happened here. The Jeep swap took the back burner to a RZR purchase so I didnt have much left over for the Jeep. Not a lot of progress here but I finally got the engine pulled out of the Tahoe this weekend and cleaned up. Also picked up a set of LS3 exhaust manifolds and have had the 231c case sitting in the garage for a while. Going to order a radiator with electric fan from Superior in the next couple of weeks. Still hoping to have all the parts there to make the swap this winter or early spring maybe. Hopefully it will go sort of fast once it starts going together. Yeah, I know in reality it will take forever. Well, thats it for now, lets see how long until the next update, lol.

Here she sits on the hoist where she will patiently wait on a new home.

post #11 of 29 Old 11-01-2014, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered my radiator from Superior Radiator the other day. This thing shipped almost right away and was supposed to be here next Tuesday. I walked out on the front porch this morning and there it sat. It only took 3 days to get here including the day I ordered it. When I pulled this thing out of the box, I wasn't sure if I needed to put it in the jeep or hang it on the wall in the garage as a piece of art. I couldnt decide on which side to have the upper neck on and ended up going with a drivers side neck. Looked like this will make routing the hose easier, but not sure what its going to do with the air intake, might have a few issues there, not sure yet.

I also have a few more parts on order from Novak. I ordered my motor mounts, fuel delivery, transmission mount and transfer case shifter. The guys at Novak were great as well. answered a few questions I had and let me know about a new cable shifter that they have in the development stages that is supposed to work better with the Chevy 231 case. Cant wait to get these parts in the garage.

Here are a few shots of the radiator.

post #12 of 29 Old 11-11-2014, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

More parts came in yesterday. Got the motor mounts, transmission mount, fuel delivery, and transfer case shifter. Just a few more steps closer to getting ready to get started.

post #13 of 29 Old 09-25-2015, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, so after a long slumber, this project has awaken. I got out of bed yesterday and decided today is the day!! Went out and started pulling parts off. Got the whole front clip off, driveshafts out, most connections to the engine off so its ready to pull. There are a few other things that need to be done before its ready to come out, but after almost a year at least there is a little progress. Im hopeful that now that its started, I will work on it and get it done, but I feel sure there will be plenty to get in the way. The only thing pushing me is I need the garage space that its now taking up. Sooo, here we go.... here are a few before and progress so far pics.

post #14 of 29 Old 10-10-2015, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Having some trouble getting pics uploaded today, but here are a few updates:

entire driveline is out
engine bay is cleaned
motor mounts cut off
busted the 231c and j cases apart getting them ready to do the hybrid case.
ordered the 5 to 6 bolt stock adapter to bolt up the chevy front half of the case.
rolled it back in the garage until we can have a little alone time again.
post #15 of 29 Old 10-22-2015, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Made a little progress over the last few days. Only have a couple hrs at a time to work on it so its going slow for the most part.

Got the adapter in and now I have a new question. As I split the cases apart it dawned on me to check spine count on both transfer cases. both the Chevy and Jeep have 27 spline count. Slid the driveshaft and front yoke on just to see if it would fit, and they slid right on. Now my question is why the hybrid case? can I just use the Chevy case and not deal with the building of the hybrid case? I am not planning on running any of the Jeep gauges so I can figure out any reason that the 231c case cand just be dropped in. At any rate, that's what I'm going to attempt unless someone can tell me why it wont work.

Sat the motor down in just for the fun of it. Pulled it back out and went on and tack welded in the Novak mounts. These things look nice, just hope they are in the right place.

Put on the 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds.

Ordered a couple of sensors that I broke off pulling the engine. managed to snap off the MAP sensor and it fell inside the intake...great. Didn't want to have to take that off, but looks like that's in the plan now. Also broke off the Coolant temp sensor trying to get a broken exhaust manifold bolt out. Oh well, those are easy.

Prob a couple of other minor things, but here are a few pics.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.