98 Fire Red TJ Sport DD Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 98 Fire Red TJ Sport DD Build

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
DTMOOOO
1998 TJ Wrangler 

98 Fire Red TJ Sport DD Build

Hey guys. I am starting a build as more of a journal to document my progress with my new to me wrangler.

I live in Westchester NY so there isnt too many places to offroad around here so my slow build will focus on keeping the car daily drivable.

I searched for about 10 weeks to find a TJ that met my specs which were mainly
No Rust
4.0L
5-Speed Manual gearbox
Below 150k Miles

I wanted Impact original but thats was pushing it and I didnt want to pass up this

Here she is the day i picked here up:

Specs are 1998 Flame Red TJ sport with Gray interior
5-speed with 3.07s
120k miles
30x9.5x15'' tires on stock steels
Besttop sunrider softtop
Besttop instatrunk
As you can tell from the pics doors were never off the car since the factory hinge bolts were frozen on there.
Paid - $5000. A little expensive but jeeps around here are usually either rusted badly, have cheap parts all over them, or beatup by highschool kids and overpriced for what they are worth.
So i purchased with a little piece of mind.

DTMOOOO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
DTMOOOO
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just a little background I purchased the jeep as more of a summer car to enjoy trips to the beach and weekend rides with the top/doors off.

The TJ replaced my bike

Some of my other cars/ projects were an e46 m3, b7 s4, & a motard i owned for a short period

Unread 10-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #3
DTMOOOO
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The first couple of things i did to the Wrangler after I got here home was the basics.

Maintaince:
Oil/filter change
Spark plugs, wires, distributor & rotor
Transmission fluid change
Front & rear Diff fluid change
Adjusted rear drums
Replaced the CCV seals & cleans throttle body & IAC valve
Pulled the belly skid and replaced tranny mount (there was only 1 stud left? )
Lifted the tub off and wire wheeled the frame coating the exterior in Eastwood rust encapsulator & the interior in the internal frame coating.

Upgrades
Replaced the bestop sunrider soft top with a OEM mopar from an 06
Painted the stock steels black
Painted the flares & headlight rings black
Added smoked turn signals

This is how she currently sits
Unread 10-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
DTMOOOO
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Last weekend I pulled apart the entire dashboard including the airbag, door panels, & center console.
I painted the painted the factory gray parts in SEM color coat black
For anyone wanting to paint the dash the SEM paint did not leave the airbag cover or grab handle tacky at all.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Unread 10-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #5
DTMOOOO
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Going to be ordering some control arms and BDS 2'' lift kit once my dana 35 & instatrunk sell.
I started removing some of the bolts under the Jeep today to see if i am going to have any trouble with any beforehand. I did some in the front today reinstalling with antiseize to make my life easier in the upcoming weeks.

I also picked up a OEM 11'' driveshaft for when I pick up my Dana 44 rear

Here is a shot showing the difference between the D35 stock and the new shaft for the D44
Unread 10-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
DTMOOOO
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Also took a couple pictures to show the flex of the stock suspension on 30x9.5x15 while I had the front sway disconnected.

Unread 10-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #7
DTMOOOO
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Installed my Amber LED cluster lights today. Have to adjust the lower right side one though still

Tomorrow i will be pulling my front drive shaft to put in new U-joints and the CV centering ball. Will be sure to snap some pics
Unread 10-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #8
KJC95
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a real nice TJ. I'll be ordering that same lift for mine soon.
KJC95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #9
DTMOOOO
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJC95 View Post
Looks like a real nice TJ. I'll be ordering that same lift for mine soon.
Thanks! Post up some pics when you put yours on
Unread 10-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
DTMOOOO
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Over the weekend I was able to do a little bit off work

My CCV valves were leaking so i replaced those along with the seals from Dorman off Amazon.

As well I am having a little shake issue which I believe is from my front drive shaft so I pulled that to see how it would feel on the highway with it off. I think it is either that or the stock steels are getting rusty/off balance

New Seals with a little RTV

Shot of the plug wires and cap i replaced a couple weeks ago, dont mind how dirty things were i sprayed some PB blaster as well as spilled a little oil
Unread 10-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #11
DTMOOOO
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here is me pulling the front drive shaft

I took off the Transfer case support for easy access to the bolts behind the CV as well as since i wanted to install the new tranny mount i had laying in the garage

Here are those four bolts

Then i removed the 4 u bolts from the yoke and pryed her right off

When I was looking at the u-joints they are all original and dont seem to more well at all I am hoping this clears up some of the shimmy i am seeing on the highway

Here are both shafts out:

And here is a pic of the new mount. Just a couple of pointers for you guys.
When you are tightening the mount you want to tighten down the transfer case support bolts first then thread the tranny mount bolts on a little
Start the car and let it idle with the nuts loose on the mount then go under and torque them. That was the process I was always taught with my BMWs & Audi and appears to be the same with the TJ. Take off shake had disappeared!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.