97 ZJ, My Rubicon Replacement Build. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 97 ZJ, My Rubicon Replacement Build.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #31
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

Yeah I realized that right after I sent that message lol

Unread 09-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #32
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Tires shipped today. Without overdrive I'm averaging 13.5mpg. That's not much worse than my rubicon. Let's pray this tps in the passenger seat fixes the problem.

My Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/97-zj-my-rubicon-replacement-build-1261698/
Gaara123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #33
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaara123 View Post
Tires shipped today. Without overdrive I'm averaging 13.5mpg. That's not much worse than my rubicon. Let's pray this tps in the passenger seat fixes the problem.
Have you gotten the lift put on yet? Mine arrived today and I was impressed. The pictures don't do this kit any justice as to how beefy it is. i pulled out those LCA's and was like good night, these bad boys will be able to take a beating. Quick question, what are you going to do with the front track bar? You going to measure over 3/4 inch, drill the hole and place it there, or get an adjustable bar? I talked to step dad today and he said just for the heck of it, he's going to weld up another piece of metal plating to that plate the track bar is in at the body end, and make it a solid weld, then drill the hole 3/4 inch over and use that plate as a stiffener. If you look at the picture it only leaves so much metal before its cut off...I personally don't think its enough (even though it was tested that way).
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:43 AM   #34
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabzz

Have you gotten the lift put on yet? Mine arrived today and I was impressed. The pictures don't do this kit any justice as to how beefy it is. i pulled out those LCA's and was like good night, these bad boys will be able to take a beating. Quick question, what are you going to do with the front track bar? You going to measure over 3/4 inch, drill the hole and place it there, or get an adjustable bar? I talked to step dad today and he said just for the heck of it, he's going to weld up another piece of metal plating to that plate the track bar is in at the body end, and make it a solid weld, then drill the hole 3/4 inch over and use that plate as a stiffener. If you look at the picture it only leaves so much metal before its cut off...I personally don't think its enough (even though it was tested that way).
Agreed. Pics don't do not do justice. I am going to install as it recommends for the time being. I have a friend who is an amazing welder, after I get an adjustable trackbar I am going to have him weld it better than anyb jeeper could hope. He welds electric motors on under ground mine machines. So I know his welds can stand up to anything I could throw at it. I guess it's a benefit from living in the coalfields of west Virginia. Welding is an art here.

My Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/97-zj-my-rubicon-replacement-build-1261698/
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #35
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Last night I have a little bonfire and the house. Had one or two too many. This caused me wake up at nine, eat pancakes, then go back to bed. When I finally did wake up it was noon before I got started "installing" the lift. I know this vehicle is old and I was going to be fighting rust, and parts that had not been removed since it was built. I had not idea that it would take me 10 hours to get the front installed minus the sway bar links and track bar relocation. I think the rear will go a lot smoother but man it was a pain in the butt. I have a feeling the steering stabilizer is going to take a torch to remove. I didn't want to mess with it today. I also replaced the TPS. That was also a pain in the butt, stupid torx screws. I am hoping to have the lift, tires, steering stabilizer on by thursday so I can take it to VA beach.

Unread 09-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #36
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Kinda let this thread falter because I have been running one in the ZJ forum also. So I guess I will get this one caught up. The jeep is lifted, Steering stabilizer in on as well as it will be for the time being. I used grade 8 u-bolts and sleeves. I am fighting death wobble so I' not putting the money into a new draglink if I am going to be buying the rustys steering converstion. tires will be put on when I can trim. Life gets in the way of jeep time.

Unread 09-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #37
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

Haha. Dang that sucks. I don't got any DW thankfully. Have had it up to 70 mph and hit some pretty decent bumps in the road and nothing yet. I'll be giving it the real work out this weekend. Step dad and I are taking my zj and his yj up to Tuttle Creek ORV for a day of fun on sat. 3 hour drive up there, wheel around all day, 3 hour drive home. Can't wait to test out the kit and the tires!
Unread 10-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #38
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Painted the "chrome" grill black, installed the tires & rims. Took off the front bumper fascia until I can trim the bumper. Although I don't really mind the look without it. As you can see with a few of theses pictures I am very very close on clearance. I will have to do a little trimming, beating, cutting and maybe just run her hard and see where they rub. She is coming along. Lets hope I cured the death wobble. Although I see some new steering components into my future.

Unread 10-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #39
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

Looks good. You gonna trim up that fender or does it not rub?
Unread 10-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #40
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabzz
Looks good. You gonna trim up that fender or does it not rub?
Im going to do a little trimming. It won't take much.

Unread 10-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #41
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Did a little heating and beating on my pinch weld. Making clearance for my tires. Also finally put my full size spare in the back of the jeep. Goodbye cargo space. Installed the extended front swaybar links. Fixed loose heat shield on cat converter. Broke the back seat in also.

Unread 10-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #42
-Shoey-
2003 KJ Liberty 

Parkersburg WV native here. Nice looking Jeep man. Should most certainly swap as many drivetrain components over to the ZJ. Unless you sold it and I missed it. Anyway, I'm following, keep up the good work!
USN Jeep Club #115
-Shoey- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #43
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Yes, i already sold her. Needed the money quickly. The only thing I really wanted was the front axle. But I got 4k out of her as a whole. I could have gotten a little more had I parted her out, but it's hard to tear down a vehicle with broken ribs. I do miss lockers though. I can see me putting in a locker up front within the year. It's been added to the list of things I want.

Unread 10-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #44
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Finally cut the muffler hanger that liked to rub my tire. Also took it for a drive down by the river... Well I might have driven in the river too, ya gotta cross somehow when you don't have a bridge. Fording the river was the first time I had taken this jeep somewhere I really "needed" 4x4. Not one slip on the slimy rocks. I love those treadwrights.

Unread 10-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #45
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Installed some cheap foglights from wally world to tide me over till I decide if I am going to put the bumper back on or not. I just don't know if I want it on or not. I would love to get a heavy duty aftermarket bumper but that's pretty far down my list of things to blow 900$ on.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.