97 ZJ, My Rubicon Replacement Build. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 97 ZJ, My Rubicon Replacement Build.

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 09-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #16
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Tires have been ordered.

My Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/97-zj-my-rubicon-replacement-build-1261698/
Gaara123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:00 AM   #17
Pre5tig3
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Wow your speeding along with this build and I wish I had all those boxes of parts to be put on mine can't wait to see it lifted.
Pre5tig3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #18
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre5tig3
Wow your speeding along with this build and I wish I had all those boxes of parts to be put on mine can't wait to see it lifted.
I had been planning & saving for this for about 8 months for my rubicon. When I wrecked it I decided I wanted a ZJ or xj instead. So I had the Most decisions made. Still learning the ZJ though. Stupid automatics.

My Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/97-zj-my-rubicon-replacement-build-1261698/
Unread 09-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #19
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

Wow. Your jeep is almost the exact same as mine. Same year, motor, cept mine has 181k. I had a brand new tranny put in last Friday due to mine going out in March. Never been happier with mine. I went and picked up a set of tires yesterday, and ordered the same lift on Tuesday. I'll def. follow your thread! Mind me asking how much those wheels were a piece? I'm pretty set on getting black wheels, just not sure if I want the D windows or the circles yet. I'll be ordering them soon as I know which I want more. Looking forward to seeing your lift get put on!
Unread 09-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #20
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabzz
Wow. Your jeep is almost the exact same as mine. Same year, motor, cept mine has 181k. I had a brand new tranny put in last Friday due to mine going out in March. Never been happier with mine. I went and picked up a set of tires yesterday, and ordered the same lift on Tuesday. I'll def. follow your thread! Mind me asking how much those wheels were a piece? I'm pretty set on getting black wheels, just not sure if I want the D windows or the circles yet. I'll be ordering them soon as I know which I want more. Looking forward to seeing your lift get put on!
I payed 79.99 a piece from Morris 4x4. They are 16x 8 4.25 backspace. I could have saved a few dollars going to another site. But Morris is by far the best jeep company to deal with. Plus the lift is cheapest their. The 15" rims ate a bit cheaper. But I wanted 16" for treadwrights. The jeep is growing on me more and more.

Unread 09-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #21
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

Ah I gotcha. Thats where I got my lift too, and thats probably where I'm getting the wheels. For future reference, if you use the code "forum9" on there...you get a discount I only paid 461 for the lift, 4 shock boots and steering stabilizer. Without the discount it would have been 503.
Unread 09-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #22
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Yep, they will take it over the phone too. I ordered with the nitro shocks for the v8. The v8 one come with 3/4 spacers for the same price. I'm gonna hold onto them in case its not level.

Unread 09-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #23
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Glad you are ok and look forward to seeing another built ZJ (If I had extra money I would def DD a ZJ or WJ)

As for the Rubi, I really wish I had been smart enough to buy one like yours when I got mine and fix it up the way I wanted it the first time. I wouldve saved so much money in the long run...
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #24
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

Awesome. I was going to get the one for the V8 but I wasn't exactly for sure if everything was exactly the same as it is with the I6..so I went the safe route for my knowledge. I got the hydro's. I thought about the nitro's but pretty much every review I've heard says the hydro's have a little better ride, but I guess I'll see....If the ride is absolutely terrible I might upgrade to some Bilsteins...But thats down the road..I can live with it riding like a dump truck..I've been driving an 86 GMC Sierra Classic 3/4 ton for the past 6 months while the jeeps been down...I'm not sure which is worse..a dumbtruck on a washboard road or that thing.
Unread 09-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #25
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneTheTJ
Glad you are ok and look forward to seeing another built ZJ (If I had extra money I would def DD a ZJ or WJ)

As for the Rubi, I really wish I had been smart enough to buy one like yours when I got mine and fix it up the way I wanted it the first time. I wouldve saved so much money in the long run...
If I had to do it over I would buy a non rubicon with the 4.0, 5 speed, non locking Dana 44. Then put better lockers in myself as well as better armor. It was nice saying I had a rubicon though.

Unread 09-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #26
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaara123 View Post
If I had to do it over I would buy a non rubicon with the 4.0, 5 speed, non locking Dana 44. Then put better lockers in myself as well as better armor. It was nice saying I had a rubicon though.
I just meant a wrecked TJ. Then I would have no qualms cutting the **** out of it and making it huge
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #27
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Awesome. I was going to get the one for the V8 but I wasn't exactly for sure if everything was exactly the same as it is with the I6..so I went the safe route for my knowledge. I got the hydro's. I thought about the nitro's but pretty much every review I've heard says the hydro's have a little better ride, but I guess I'll see....If the ride is absolutely terrible I might upgrade to some Bilsteins...But thats down the road..I can live with it riding like a dump truck..I've been driving an 86 GMC Sierra Classic 3/4 ton for the past 6 months while the jeeps been down...I'm not sure which is worse..a dumbtruck on a washboard road or that thing.
I called them to make sure before I ordered the v8. Its exactly the same. The spacers came in their own box.

Unread 09-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #28
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Seems like the way to go would be to swap everything from the Rubicon, lower mileage engine, the transmission axles and whatever else you can take from it.

91 Yj Renegade, lifted, built 4.0L, 33's etc
Mazdarx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #29
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

Dang. Won't the springs be stiffer in the front though than the I6 ones?
Unread 09-16-2011, 01:21 AM   #30
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Dang. Won't the springs be stiffer in the front though than the I6 ones?
Same spring, they give you the 3/4" spacer to compensate the spring sag caused by the heavier engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.