97 ZJ, My Rubicon Replacement Build. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 97 ZJ, My Rubicon Replacement Build.

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

97 ZJ, My Rubicon Replacement Build.

The "Rig"
97 ZJ Laredo, Bone stock.
Paid $2300.00
179,000 miles
4.0L inline 6
I guess I will first start off by saying that my 2004 Rubicon that I bought brand spanking new in 2003 can never be replaced. I fell asleep and put her into a concrete barrier. She saved my life, the cops couldn't believe I was standing there talking to them like nothing happened. I got away with a broken rib and busted nose. I will post a pic of her for reference, but this thread is about my new project and not the one sitting my driveway waiting for someone to buy her and turn her into a trail rig. This ZJ does not have a name yet, when I figure it out I will post about it. I am one of those people that treats their jeep like a family member. I loved my Rubi as much as a person can love something that isn't living and breathing. I bought this ZJ off of a lady in her mid-50's. She bought it new, her husband did the maintenance & upkeep after the warranty expired. It has never been "off-roading", living in West Virginia we have county roads that require 4x4 at times. Cosmetically this jeep is amazing. The engine is sound, no ticks or weird noises. The A/C does not work, she did not have it charged because she got a new jeep in the spring. The valve cover does have a minor oil leak, nothing major at all. The radiator was just replaced, her husband did this & judging by how well he did this I am confident he knew how to work on and maintain a jeep. The jeep also needs new tires and rims. According to KBB I got a really good deal on this jeep. The Select-trac works perfectly. I am sad that I will not have lockers(for the time being). This will be a slow build because I only had liability on my Rubicon when I wrecked it. I bought what I could afford, and pretty much wiped out my bank account to get this. I wont finance a vehicle ever again. So till I can sell the Rubi money will be tight. So this is what I have and this is what I will pour my heart, my soul, my blood, and of course my paychecks into.

Last edited by Gaara123; 09-06-2011 at 12:12 AM..
Gaara123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

This is a picture of my 04 Rubicon that I wrecked. If anyone is interested 5grand gets you the title. Like I said though this thread is not about selling my Rubi, its about my new ZJ. If I dont get her sold as a whole I am going to rob everything I can use on the ZJ before I part her out.
Unread 09-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

The night I got my ZJ I stopped at wally world and got some Rotella 5W40 Full syn, oil filter, and 2 cans of sea foam. I put on bottle in the tank when I filled up and put half a bottle in the crank case, and half a bottle in the Vacuum system. I swear by seafoam. The next day I changed the oil, shampooed the carpets, washed, waxed pretty much detailed most of her till a storm rolled in. I also swapped the rims off of my wrecked Rubicon, got rid of the doughnut put my full size spare in it. The 265 75 16 do rub just a little when I turn the wheel just a little, but it stops when I turn more or less. It will do until I lift and get the 285 75 16's along with new rims with less backspacing.

Unread 09-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Pre5tig3
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry to here about the tj but the zj looks sweet im looking for one for myself hopefully within the next couple months so what lift do you plan on running?
Pre5tig3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #5
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Honestly, I'm thinking rough country 3.5 right now. Im really only concerned about getting it high enough for the 285 65 16. I'm also gonna go with black rock "8's" or there "D" with 4.25 back spacing. I just have to get better tires on her before winter or I'll be walking up my mountain of a driveway when the white stuff comes. I don't really plan on going much higher or bigger tires, but I will want more flex and articulation once I start really building this rig. Still not sure about what I'm gonna do with my rear axle. It's a shame I have perfect Dana 44 with a locker sitting in my driveway that won't fit on this without more fab work than I can handle. I'm also dead set on treadwright retreads with the kedge grip. I may be asking for trouble, but im one of those stubborn gotta learn it the hard way guys.

My Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/97-zj-my-rubicon-replacement-build-1261698/
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:46 PM   #6
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

285 75 16. I put 65 in my last reply. Also I installed a throttle body spacer and restored the headlight today. I'll take pics when the sun comes up.

My Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/97-zj-my-rubicon-replacement-build-1261698/
Unread 09-07-2011, 02:26 AM   #7
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'll follow along.
Unread 09-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Since I put on the throttle body spacer the engine revs between 1st and second... I put some Lucas transmission conditioner in it. Let's hope that fixes the problem. If not, spacer will be coming off tonight.

Unread 09-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

This is after the headlight restore. I didn't get a before picture but if you look at the pictures above you can tell it is a drastic improvement. 20$ well spent. Now I need to look into some offroad lighting. Or fabing a light bar.

Unread 09-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

take the axles motor trans and t-case out of the TJ and put them in the ZJ
1997 TJ, Dad's Claytons 4:88s and stuff A TJ for Dad
1992 YJ crawler, getting 60s. Build thread the illusion of progress
North Jersey Jeep Club, AtoZ Fabrication, Rozzo Fabrication
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #11
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

T-case is lunched, and I haven't been able to find any info on swapping the others. If it didn't require welding beyond my abilities I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm sure its possible, i'm just not sure its feasible. If you have links to threads, or info? I am more than willing to read up on it. It would be nice to get back my lockers and engine I know has been taken care of. If someone doesnt buy her in the next week or two I may get under them both and start really taking a look at it. It would make for one mean ZJ.
Unread 09-08-2011, 05:23 AM   #12
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

the front axle will bolt in place of the dana 30 up front. I'm not 100% on the rear but I think the mounts are the same one a ZJ and TJ for the rear axle
1997 TJ, Dad's Claytons 4:88s and stuff A TJ for Dad
1992 YJ crawler, getting 60s. Build thread the illusion of progress
North Jersey Jeep Club, AtoZ Fabrication, Rozzo Fabrication
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 07:50 AM   #13
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Cleaned the throttle body and sensors last night. Idles and runs a lot smoother. Overdrive is working again. Still stutters or misses when I push the throttle down at highway speeds. May need new wires, plugs, & a cap. Or just some octane booster. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated. Fuel filter maybe?

Unread 09-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #14
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

I'm going to be ordering new rims and tires Monday. I'm getting 16 x 8 4.25 BS. Black rock steel "8's" or D holes. I'm also dead set on treadwright 285 75 16 guard dogs with kedge grip.
My question is this. Should I get 4 or 5? I'm weighing the pros vs the cons? If i don't get it I'm saving about $225. I will also have more room in the trunk. I carry a small air compressor and plug kit. My fear is if it's a gash in the sidewall and can't be plugged. If I do get it I can work it into tire rotations and extend the set of tires a little. Opinions and suggestions would be appreciated. Also, do any of you have first hand experience about putting airsoft bb's in your tired when you mount them? I haven't seen this discussed in a long time. Thanks.

Unread 09-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #15
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

I dropped the Transmission pan, changed the filter replaced it, cleaned the O2 sensors, refilled. Also came home from work and it looked like santa had been here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.