97 Wrangler 5.3L - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 97 Wrangler 5.3L

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 02-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #76
Ryanw10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up some fully functional LEDs from the scrap bin at work. I got tail lights, reverse lights, and some 1" round turn signals. Hopefully I will be able to make use of these in the spring when the jeep comes back out.

Ryanw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #77
Ryanw10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sold my dirt bike this weekend. Trying to decide on the Barnes 4wd flat or 2" drop skid. Or the tmr customs 1" drop
Unread 02-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #78
Ryanw10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Solid diff cover showed up today
Unread 02-20-2014, 06:15 PM   #79
Ryanw10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

And I decided for the price you cant beat the barnes 4wd rear bumper. I also sold my tailgate yesterday. My plan is to do an aluminum drop down tail gate using these hinges http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...&Ntt=STAINLESS
and some sort of piano style hinge on the bottom. It will be made of 1/4" 5052 aluminum.
Unread 02-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #80
Ryanw10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here is the barnes 4wd bumper
Unread 03-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #81
Ryanw10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like I got some work to do! I also ordered the novak cable shifter yesterday
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:19 AM   #82
Ryanw10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Novak cable shifter showed up!

Also got the reverse LEDs mounted and the receiver welded in. I have to pick up some tube yet to use as a gusset for the receiver. Im hoping it turns out like the genright bumper.
Unread 03-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #83
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have a few questions about your 5.3 swap...

1. Are you using the stock Jeep radiator? If so, any overheating issues? If not, which one are you using?

2. What did your 5.3 come out of?

3. Which exhaust manifolds are you using?

4. Are you using a stock truck oil pan?

5. I noticed that you are using the Novak mounts and you said that it placed the transmission 3" further back. Looking at it, do you think that it's possible to keep the tranny in the stock location?

Thanks,

Josh
Unread 03-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #84
Ryanw10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

-Still using the stock 4 cylinder radiator. Only time I see the temperature go up is in the dunes when I am hammering on it in 70-80 degree weather. I have never seen it about 220.
-5.3 came out of a 2001 silverado sourced from a local junkyard complete with harness and everything
-Manifolds are still the stock silverado manifolds. Both sides clear side to side but the bottom of the manifold is about a 1/4" from the motor mount. I ended spacing the motor up about a 1/4" above novaks mounts and then added the body lift so the hood would clear (I dont think the hood would clear without the bodylift anyway)
-Definitely not possible to keep the tranny in the stock location without serious firewall work. I have an 1/8-1/4" on both sides between the firewall and the cylinder head.
Unread 03-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #85
Ryanw10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Rear bumper is all finished up. Got some tube welded to reinforce the hitch.
Novak cable shifter is installed, this turned out be quite a pain to get adjusted it right but I finally got.
I have all the holes drilled for the tailgate, but I still need to get it bent and I forgot the latches at college
I got my locks transferred over to the full doors, just need to get new hardware for the latches and put the panels on.
There is a local Jeep show on saturday next week so hopefully it will all be finished by then and me and my brother are planning on going to bundy hill offroad on sunday.
Unread 03-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #86
Ryanw10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Had an awesome weekend. Started on saturday with a jeep show:

Then sunday I headed out to bundy hill offroad park:

Unread 03-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #87
Ryanw10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A few more:

Unread 04-20-2014, 11:56 PM   #88
Solidkm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

SO i have been researching and really contemplating ther 5.3 for my LJ. I am sure it is a grin every time you drive it.

Can you make a list of your major parts that you had to aquire? And where did you send your harness to be done at ?

Complete Motor
transmission
bellhousing/adapter
153 tooth flywheel
motor mounts
harness redone
radiator

any thing major that i am missing? did you change headers, or oil pan etc?

Great work and thanks for the insight.
3. A ford 8.8 is the only axle that has the capability to snag rocks, and other obstacles. Avoid this axle
Solidkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 06:30 AM   #89
Ryanw10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It definitely puts a grin on my face every time I drive it haha. Heres a quick list that I have:
Engine
Transmission
Transfercase (because mine originally was a 4 cyl)
Transmission-engine adapter
153T flywheel
10.5” Pressure plate and clutch
Slave cylinder-part# 716213
Throw out bearing-part# n1430
Engine Mounts
Exhaust
Dont forget the little things can add up pretty fast. I am still running the stock radiator, headers and oil pan. Radiator has held up fine, the headers clear the novak motor mounts by like an 1/8" and the oil pan is my next on the list to replace. I have been looking at doing an f body pan or an autokraft pan. I also did all the harness work myself using mostly LS1tech.com, it did take a little time and prolly did not turn out as visually pleasing as sending the harness out but it saved me close to $700.
Unread 04-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #90
Solidkm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanw10 View Post
It definitely puts a grin on my face every time I drive it haha. Heres a quick list that I have:
Engine
Transmission
Transfercase (because mine originally was a 4 cyl)
Transmission-engine adapter
153T flywheel
10.5 Pressure plate and clutch
Slave cylinder-part# 716213
Throw out bearing-part# n1430
Engine Mounts
Exhaust
Dont forget the little things can add up pretty fast. I am still running the stock radiator, headers and oil pan. Radiator has held up fine, the headers clear the novak motor mounts by like an 1/8" and the oil pan is my next on the list to replace. I have been looking at doing an f body pan or an autokraft pan. I also did all the harness work myself using mostly LS1tech.com, it did take a little time and prolly did not turn out as visually pleasing as sending the harness out but it saved me close to $700.

Thanks for the reply.

1. Whos p/n's are those for the slave cylierd and throw out? These are the parts you used for the 3550?
2. i hear you on the oil pan. i will have a 60 up front and a smaller pan is probably a must
3. your running the stock jeep radiator? you said theres been no issues, are you planning on upgrading this sooner or later?

thanks!
3. A ford 8.8 is the only axle that has the capability to snag rocks, and other obstacles. Avoid this axle
Solidkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.