97 TJ Restoration/Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 97 TJ Restoration/Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 06-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #46
marktj97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Over 2 years of blood, sweat and beers... finally on the road!

Well, last week I got my 30 day tags and have been driving it everyday! I have put about 200 miles on it so far with no major issues. Still have a few things to fine tune, but it has exceeded my expectations. The power of the 5.2L is just amazing and the sound... I don't even listen to the radio anymore! I have had several reports of the front left tire coming off the ground when getting on it, and not in turns just going straight! I had to move my Antirock links from the loosest setting to the next to last hole forward and it has helped some. Still need to get it inspected but that shouldn't be a problem. I can't believe I'm finally driving it, it has been a long and expensive 2 years in the making.
Gonna refrain from taking it offroad for while as I relearn how to drive this thing with the engine swap, it is a different animal for sure. Plus I'm not really ready to beat it up ha. Its ready for it though. Future mods will be one more set of Rokmen arms for the front uppers, Rokmen GTS, some oil pan protection and hopefully a Warn Zeon winch. That should do it for "stage 1", ha, stage 2 will be PS defenders and 35's but for now I am content, we will see how long that lasts.
I was also a bit worried about the hood louvers on rainy days but that was put to rest last week as it rained almost everyday- no issues.
Here's some pics from last weekend.

Yeah the Trektop NX looks silly folded back but I love it so far.
Still unsure why Jeep never offered a V8 in Wranglers, this thing is just way too much fun now.
I will get some videos soon.

marktj97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #47
marktj97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Passed Inspection, a few mods done

Well, I passed MD state inspection with no problems! Been driving it almost everyday. Still love it but had a few issues to work out. First was a bad PCV valve making a racket, new Mopar PCV fixed that but I still had some belt noise. I never really liked the plastic pulley on the power steering pump but couldn't find a good replacement. So I started researching and found that the 5.2 ZJ pulley is the same as a Dodge Viper in terms of inner bore diameter, .661" and outer diameter `6" and is also 7 ribs. I found that March Performance makes a billet pulley for the Viper and decided to try it out. It fits and looks great, no more wobbling plastic crap.

Next, it was time to address the spare on the tailgate, it was way too big for the stock carrier and I started to get a rattle. So I ordered the Bestop body mounted tire carrier. I also wanted to strengthen the attach points so I ordered some PSC trail corners with LED cutouts. Got it all installed but in the process found some really bad rust under the rear roll bar outboard fastener. I drilled the head off the Torx bolt and in a rush decided to try to punch the seized stud out- took some sheetmetal with it! Gonna run it as is for now but I have got to fix that soon. I love the look of the both products and no more rattle.
PSC Corners

Before

After!

Other than that, just enjoying it and getting ready for a 6 hour drive to Carolina Beach at the end of the month.
Unread 07-15-2014, 10:31 PM   #48
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome updates! I hadn't been in here in awhile

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2014, 03:27 AM   #49
marktj97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
Awesome updates! I hadn't been in here in awhile

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thank you , I think I am done now ha, at least for a little while.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.