97 TJ - Mission Ultimate Hunting Ride - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 97 TJ - Mission Ultimate Hunting Ride

KrawlOff-Road.com now Carries Iron Rock Off Road!!!!!Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-07-2015, 10:03 PM   #1
DaxG
1997 TJ Wrangler 

97 TJ - Mission Ultimate Hunting Ride

This mission begins with the need to stop trashing my 2011 Dakota which is my daily driver. After a couple seasons of hunting\fishing resulting in some small dents and a badly scuffed paint job I decided it was time to build a bush vehicle and my search began. After a couple months of searching and convincing my wife it was a good idea I settled on this stock 97 TJ. Frame is rotting out but everything else seems to be in decent shape, got a good price and it came with some useful extras.

Phase 1 - New Rolling Chassis

Not to waste any time I quickly sourced a new frame.

I spent the next couple weekends cleaning, wire brushing, sanding and sand blasting the frame. I built an attachment for my pressure washer using a nozzle that is used for cleaning out sewer pipes and cleaned the inside of the frame. Now that it was completely spotless I treated the inside of the frame with Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating, primed it with self etching primer and painted with Chassis Saver.

After spending countless hours reading all of everyone's posts her on the forum and taking some advice from some local 4X4 shops I made some decisions, and sourced some new differentials.

HP30 Front from 97 XJ, Ford 8.8 Rear from 97 Explorer, front drive shaft from 97 XJ to be used as new rear CV driveshaft.

I have also ordered the following parts so far:

BDS 4-1/2" Short Arm Lift Kit
1" Body Lift
1.5" Engine Lift
Truss Kit for Ford 8.8
Advanced Adapters NP231-SYE
4.88 Gear sets

I am now waiting 10 days for parts and plan to get the new front+rear ends stripped, sand blasted and primed this weekend so that they are ready for welding when parts arrive.

FYI: Turns out it is really easy to get setup to sand blast at home. Biggest thing is airflow and I solved that by using a T manifold to join my shop and portable compressors together to get about 9-10scfm. Combine that with a $20 siphon feed gun, $10 sandblasting hood, respirator and $10 bags of abrasive, $20 tarps and you are ready to go. I found that crushed glass abrasive gave the best bang\buck and did not leave any kind of residue.

Last edited by DaxG; 05-07-2015 at 10:43 PM..
DaxG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
DaxG
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Some progress over the weekend by not as much as anticipated. On the Ford 8.8 I got all the brackets cut off and brakes removed in about an hour. The HP30 however fought me every step of the way and it took me the rest of the weekend. After numerous treatments of WD40, heating with a torch and a breaker bar extended by 4' pipe I managed to get it stripped down with exception of the ball joints.

Next up, more sandblasting to get them ready for welding and Chassis Saver. Out of curiosity I decided to try the molasses removal solution and threw the steering knuckles into a large pale to see what happens.

Add to the list more parts:

Brake Rotors, Calipers and Pads
Ball Joints
Hub Assemblies and Bearings
U-Joints
DaxG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.