97 TJ Heep to Zombie Killing Jeep Build - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 97 TJ Heep to Zombie Killing Jeep Build

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Reply
Unread 07-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #106
north50
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
Looks good & I think a bikini of some sort is pretty important here in FL, I've been caught a couple times with the top down and more times with the bikini and no doors and the bikini helps a lot, even in pretty hard thunderstorms

Another good thing is to leave a rain jacket, or tarp in the jeep to leave over the dash when parked, that's what I do a lot with the doors off and bikini on, or top down

Yeah the bikini top was a great investment, makes me never want to use the soft or hard top again. I've been carrying around trash bags with me to put on the seats if they get wet but like the rain jacket idea.

BTW read through your build of the stroker and great looking jeep, I can't wait to get to the point of a motor upgrade. First i want to finish with rear track bar, adj uppers and lowers, axles with 4.88 gears, SYE, winch etc.....

So yesterday I finally got the jeep offroad with a few other jeeps and what a great time. Have some issues to address before next outing but looking forward to it very much.







north50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #107
jeepwrangler97
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 3,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by north50 View Post
Yeah the bikini top was a great investment, makes me never want to use the soft or hard top again. I've been carrying around trash bags with me to put on the seats if they get wet but like the rain jacket idea.

BTW read through your build of the stroker and great looking jeep, I can't wait to get to the point of a motor upgrade. First i want to finish with rear track bar, adj uppers and lowers, axles with 4.88 gears, SYE, winch etc.....

So yesterday I finally got the jeep offroad with a few other jeeps and what a great time. Have some issues to address before next outing but looking forward to it very much.
I use trash bags for my stuff, when I drive back and forth to school(a few hours away) some weekends, in case of rain; I pretty much always have top down, or bikini on, or windows out. I'd like to get my A/C working for the summer thought and run top up in this heat

I go to school near Tampa & will hopefully actually get to wheel in the school year, we should wheel sometime if I'm down that way, I have some friends that go to school near there

Oh yeah, one other thing to keep the seats and stuff dry is to fold them forward in the rain.
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #108
north50
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
I use trash bags for my stuff, when I drive back and forth to school(a few hours away) some weekends, in case of rain; I pretty much always have top down, or bikini on, or windows out. I'd like to get my A/C working for the summer thought and run top up in this heat

I go to school near Tampa & will hopefully actually get to wheel in the school year, we should wheel sometime if I'm down that way, I have some friends that go to school near there

Oh yeah, one other thing to keep the seats and stuff dry is to fold them forward in the rain.

I think some of the guys who went wheelin yesterday go to FGCU, you get down this way drop me a PM or something. What is wrong with your A/C? I ask because I'm having problems with mine as well. The compressor won't kick on unless I force it to by bypassing the relay. I need to spend some time chasing wires and checking sensors. I'd love to have my A/C work also with this heat, no A/C keeps me from using the jeep to commute to work with.
north50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #109
Popo
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Québec, QUÉBEC
Posts: 39
I wish I had a garage like yours !!

And your Jeep is sick
Popo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #110
jeepwrangler97
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 3,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by north50 View Post
I think some of the guys who went wheelin yesterday go to FGCU, you get down this way drop me a PM or something. What is wrong with your A/C? I ask because I'm having problems with mine as well. The compressor won't kick on unless I force it to by bypassing the relay. I need to spend some time chasing wires and checking sensors. I'd love to have my A/C work also with this heat, no A/C keeps me from using the jeep to commute to work with.
I've had a lot to fix with my A/C, at first the compressor(a new reman one) wasn't kicking on, unless it was forced to, but iirc it was because it had no charge, then when charged it still wouldn't do it because it was leaking so much that it wouldn't kick on, I had to replace the high pressure line, then the evap core, the dryer/low pressure side and then it wasn't leaking so much and the compressor would kick on and work...but it still leaks a little, I ran out of refrigerant again after a few weeks, but at least I've narrowed it down to a slow leak, before it would leak out within hours, then I got it to days and now it takes weeks.

I should also mention that it didn't work at first because the wiring right at the ac compressor was not spliced very well(thanks shop), I had to re do it. The wiring had to be spliced because of the engine harness swap when I did the engine. I have an early 97 and the wiring must have been later 97.

The only A/C part that is original now is the condenser in front of the radiator

Sorry for the long response, I've had to do a lot with my a/c and it still leaks, hopefully not at one of the new parts, I hope it's just the condenser and a charge and I'm good to go.

Long story short make sure the connections are good, then make sure it's not leaking excessively, that caused my compressor to not kick on too. Does it short cycle at all, where it kicks on for a second, then off, then again, etc...that's what mine would do sometimes.

Oh and the kids I know go to FGCU too
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #111
Renegade88
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lynn Haven, Fla
Posts: 1,290
Nice build man, i recently sold my 4 banger auto tj it was so slow i could not imagine putting all that armor and larger tires on it lol. But seeing your makes me actually miss mine, sooo much smoother riding than my YJ but i chose the 4.0 over the smoother ride lol. Keep up the good work.
__________________
2006 LJ

PanhandlePierFishing.com
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #112
north50
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popo View Post
I wish I had a garage like yours !!

And your Jeep is sick
Thanks, and the garage does come in handy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade88 View Post
Nice build man, i recently sold my 4 banger auto tj it was so slow i could not imagine putting all that armor and larger tires on it lol. But seeing your makes me actually miss mine, sooo much smoother riding than my YJ but i chose the 4.0 over the smoother ride lol. Keep up the good work.
I'm with you as I'm not very happy with the 4cyl, but knew when I bought the jeep it would be replaced by a 5.2 or 5.9 magnum at some point. It gets around town great just sucks down the gas and is no good at interstate driving. I have to finish with the suspension (SYE, HP dana 30 & 8.8 rear geared to 4.88, adj UCA's, and just ordered a adj rear track bar) then my focus will be 100% toward finding a donor vehicle to do the V8 swap. That's the only reason I bought a 4cyl jeep and it was way cheap. I'm in it for about $3k at this point so really can't complain much considering I enjoy driving it as much as my truck that cost alot more.
north50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 05:14 AM   #113
YOJIK
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 123
Im liking your progress, keep up the good work!
__________________
2006 Wrangler X

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/yojiks-2006-tj-build-thread-1158011/"]My Build Thread[/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f161/official-las-vegas-southern-nevada-wheelin-thread-1104394/"]Las Vegas Southern Nevada Thread[/URL]
YOJIK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #114
north50
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOJIK View Post
Im liking your progress, keep up the good work!
Thank you, more progress was made today with an email confirmation that my warn M8000 winch will be here this week. Followed up with a JKS adj. rear track bar. Also put a new battery in the motorcycle so I can put it for sale, then it's axle's, SYE and adj. UCA's. Once at that point the suspension will be considered done for now, and it will be V8 swap time.
north50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #115
wranglerTX
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: el paso, Texas
Posts: 268
great build !!. really thinking in getting the jk rims. the soft top that you bough first. what brand is it?
wranglerTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #116
north50
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerTX View Post
great build !!. really thinking in getting the jk rims. the soft top that you bough first. what brand is it?
Thank You, Just remember if you have a TJ/YJ and want JK wheels you will have to buy adapters to convert to 5x5.5 lug pattern. The kicker for me was that I'm going to end up buying 3 sets of adapters so I can mount my spare. The black soft top with tinted windows is a cheap Smittybilt I got on ebay for around $265. I then bought a like new hard top and finally got smart and bought a bikini top. Living in Florida the bikini top is really my favorite, makes me feel like I'm in a jeep. If it wasn't for all the rain we get I would just got topless all the time.
north50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #117
wranglerTX
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: el paso, Texas
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by north50 View Post
Thank You, Just remember if you have a TJ/YJ and want JK wheels you will have to buy adapters to convert to 5x5.5 lug pattern. The kicker for me was that I'm going to end up buying 3 sets of adapters so I can mount my spare. The black soft top with tinted windows is a cheap Smittybilt I got on ebay for around $265. I then bought a like new hard top and finally got smart and bought a bikini top. Living in Florida the bikini top is really my favorite, makes me feel like I'm in a jeep. If it wasn't for all the rain we get I would just got topless all the time.


thanks for quick response. im looking for a ''cheap' soft top. and that one looks pretty good... I also own a bikini top is GREAT.
wranglerTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #118
jmcd13
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by north50 View Post
Thank you, more progress was made today with an email confirmation that my warn M8000 winch will be here this week. Followed up with a JKS adj. rear track bar. Also put a new battery in the motorcycle so I can put it for sale, then it's axle's, SYE and adj. UCA's. Once at that point the suspension will be considered done for now, and it will be V8 swap time.
I have a suggestion for a donor truck for your v8 swap. I would look for a mid 90's dodge ram 2500. They came with the 5.9 magnum which has tons of power and they come with the nv4500 5 speed transmission. If you find one that doesnt need anything I would recommend replacing the throwout bearing, slave cylinder, and clutch plate in the transmission. Its a great swap though. There were tons of 2500's sold in the back then, and after market parts are plentiful and relatively inexpensive.
jmcd13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #119
north50
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcd13 View Post
I have a suggestion for a donor truck for your v8 swap. I would look for a mid 90's dodge ram 2500. They came with the 5.9 magnum which has tons of power and they come with the nv4500 5 speed transmission. If you find one that doesnt need anything I would recommend replacing the throwout bearing, slave cylinder, and clutch plate in the transmission. Its a great swap though. There were tons of 2500's sold in the back then, and after market parts are plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

This is exactly what I have in mind although I will be looking for an automatic (what I have currently in the jeep). I've started my search just not really ready to pull the trigger unless something perfect pops up.

So I got the Warn M8000 winch in and then thought "oh yeah I need a winch plate" Just have been so busy lately it didn't occur to me before, but no big deal still waiting on other parts and time to work on the jeep. So ordered a smittybilt winch plate and Finally found a decent priced stock 4 switch bezel to put in my 05' dash. So with a switch bezel coming I ordered some Contura switches from OTRATTW so I have in cab winch controls. An idea I liked after seeing this thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ca...d-05-x-589739/
Also ordered a Contura switch for fog lights (another thing I'm working on) and one for a front locker (wishful thinking I guess). Should be able to make some progress this week or atleast next weekend. Still thinking about if I want the control box for the winch mounted under the hood or up front on the winch.




So even though I haven't had a spare minute to work on the jeep due to work, it has been worth it. because I now have the best DD ever.

Not because it gets good MPG's or fits the baby nicely in the back seat, but because it cost me nothing. It's a company car, and saves me an easy $80 a week in gas. Now I just have to figure out how to work on the jeep while commuting
north50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 01:27 AM   #120
jmcd13
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by north50 View Post
This is exactly what I have in mind although I will be looking for an automatic (what I have currently in the jeep). I've started my search just not really ready to pull the trigger unless something perfect pops up.

So I got the Warn M8000 winch in and then thought "oh yeah I need a winch plate" Just have been so busy lately it didn't occur to me before, but no big deal still waiting on other parts and time to work on the jeep. So ordered a smittybilt winch plate and Finally found a decent priced stock 4 switch bezel to put in my 05' dash. So with a switch bezel coming I ordered some Contura switches from OTRATTW so I have in cab winch controls. An idea I liked after seeing this thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ca...d-05-x-589739/
Also ordered a Contura switch for fog lights (another thing I'm working on) and one for a front locker (wishful thinking I guess). Should be able to make some progress this week or atleast next weekend. Still thinking about if I want the control box for the winch mounted under the hood or up front on the winch.




So even though I haven't had a spare minute to work on the jeep due to work, it has been worth it. because I now have the best DD ever.

Not because it gets good MPG's or fits the baby nicely in the back seat, but because it cost me nothing. It's a company car, and saves me an easy $80 a week in gas. Now I just have to figure out how to work on the jeep while commuting
Im just not a fan of automatics anymore. I had so many problems with my last automatic, that unless I cant drive a stick, Ill be sticking with them. I plan on using my Jeep as a bugout vehicle if I ever need one, so for me the nv4500 is ideal. Ive seen them run 300,000 plus with very little servicing, and still running. So I figure its perfect for a bugout vehicle.
jmcd13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
4.88 , 5.2l v8 8.8 , manifold , mbrp , sye

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.