97 TJ Heep to Zombie Killing Jeep Build - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 97 TJ Heep to Zombie Killing Jeep Build

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 10-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #226
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

not to hijack but i wonder what kinda truck? several buddys of mine trashed my nokys cuz they wore out fast on my buddys truck...which was a 2nd gen cummins ext cab 2500 pushin 600hp and he used a 32 ft bumper tow a few time a month doing haul jobs.i know these nokians are a softer compound rubber but time will tell how they wear. i think tires on a jeep(lightweight) wear much diff than on a truck.

good to know about the m16s. have to see what reviews they get. i will prolly never buy another set of tires that arent nittos. woulda bought mud grapps if they had a 35x15inch rim that wasn't 14inch wide. cant run em that wide on the road around here in the winter, but even the terra grapps are a great tire that wear like iron.

awesome jeep north50

BAMFpullin719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #227
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMFpullin719 View Post
not to hijack but i wonder what kinda truck? several buddys of mine trashed my nokys cuz they wore out fast on my buddys truck...which was a 2nd gen cummins ext cab 2500 pushin 600hp and he used a 32 ft bumper tow a few time a month doing haul jobs.i know these nokians are a softer compound rubber but time will tell how they wear. i think tires on a jeep(lightweight) wear much diff than on a truck.
F150 To be fair they weren't well balanced though

4 linked DD on coilovers
Brian86992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #228
north50

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86992 View Post
Things are good
I can't believe you got that whole van for $300... I spent three times that just on parts for replacing my cylinder head
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcd13 View Post
Dude $300 is an amazing deal. I cant even imagine lucking into something that killer.
Really just a case of who you know as I offered to pay scrap prices for it about $850 but the dealer who owned it gave me a hell of a deal at $300. I had figured if I found a full donor that ran well for $1200ish I would have been happy. Essentially I got a motor, trans(which will need converted), PCM(hope it doesn't have SKIM) Harness (may not work due to length issues) exhaust and misc. and $100 (after I scrap it) a win for sure and I couldn't be happier with how this is going so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin7970 View Post
I was about to say, it wouldn't be a true zombie killer without some MOLLE. Do you plan on getting the seat covers as well?
I know people down Smittybilt and some things are sort of crap but I was really happy with this overhead GEAR setup. I don't think I'll do the front seat covers but possibly the rear or tailgate. Very handy for storage which is in short supply in a jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid93 View Post
I love this jeep!! keep up the good work man.
Thank You, the guys at work still give me a hard time because they saw the turd it was when I bought it. But they are starting to come around now that the engine swap is a real thing and not just something I keep saying is going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMFpullin719 View Post
sweet jeep, what was that bike in the garage? 08ish r6?

you'll have to check out the interco m16s to make that a real zombie killer.on of my offroad mags did a write up about how they will help you survive the zombie apocalypse and the super cool bullet-shaped side lugs would have ur jeep rockin.

also idk how you feel about the shiny jk wheels but lo2ay with the spider build had his stock wheels sandblasted and painted 10% gloss black. gives them a black/gray look in different lights. prolly look sick on ur jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86992 View Post
Friend of mine had those on his truck those thing would go through anything off road but they were loud and got chewed up real quick on the street.
Bike is an 07 GSXR750 with full race titanium/carbon pipe and dyno tune with only 1400 miles. Still need to sell it, just bought a new battery for it as it has sat in the garage and died.

The JK wheels were just a cheap way to get 17's which I prefer. Eventually I will be going with something different in style but same 17" size. Tires is one of those things I change my mnd on constantly. Just so many great choices but to be realistic the jeep will spend a large amount of time on the pavement so that will weigh heavily. Although at the moment some 37" pitbull rockers mounted on Raceline Monster's bolted to full width dana 60 axles sounds pretty good.
north50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #229
north50

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Need to start ordering parts needed to install the 5.2L in the jeep
Unread 10-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #230
north50

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well like the rest of this build the motor is coming out of the van slowly. After dismanteling the front some I raised it up in the air (benifit of working some where with lifts) and disconnected the trans, exhaust, starter, motor mounts, drained the radiator and removed hoses, steering pump lines etc. so it should be ready to come out on Monday.
Unread 10-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #231
north50

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Once again spent alittle time after work removing parts from the donor. It is ready at this point to come out. will drop the trans then pull the motor and send it on its way to the crusher by Friday.

Items to find and/or buy:
Durango/Dakota air inlet
Dakota Radiator Hoses
Motor Mounts
98' Jeep GC 5.9L fan & 4.0L fan shroud
Radiator
Throttle cable
summit racing Headers SUM-G9064
etc. etc. etc..........
Unread 10-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #232
north50

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well it is out of the van and after alittle cleaning and typical tuneup items being done will be ready for it's new home. I plan on getting it in the jeep and running well then after awhile doing some modifications to add power if needed. Plan on new valve cover gaskets,plugs,wires,cap,rotor,water jacket kit, rear main seal etc.... just easy things to knock out while it is out on the stand. Also looking at headers from Summit Racing or painting these stockers up. Would also like to find Jeep valve covers for cheap just to keep it looking as stock as possible.

Also have the 44RE out and setting up someone to switch out the cone so it mates with the transfer case in the Jeep. would have been nice to find a 4x4 donor but they want to much for them. Also have looked into doing a 46RE that's 4x4 ready in it's place, just a more heavy-duty trans.

That's what I'm talking about

I have to say this would have not been a problem in my garage at home (other than the van wouldn't fit) but was very nice to have access to a lift. But nothing at this point you couldn't tackle on your own (I did have them evacuate the AC system for me) in the driveway.

So tomorrow it's off to the scrap yard for the shagin wagon to recoup my initial investment of $300 and hopefully $100-$200 more. Have a few parts I took off as well I'll try and craigslist for a few bucks and add to the funds needed for conversion parts. Then Saturday or Monday should be starting on the disassembly of the Jeep. Plan on painting the engine bay while the motor is out of the Jeep and cleaning up the frame and such.
Unread 10-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #233
Martin7970
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just wanted to post some visual inspiration for your Zombie build
hy8he-2.jpg  
Martin7970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #234
jmcd13
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
hahahaahahahahaahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahaah ahahaahahahahaahahahaha
jmcd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #235
north50

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nice
Unread 10-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #236
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

nice progress so far. How many miles does that motor have?
AngryTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #237
north50

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
nice progress so far. How many miles does that motor have?
83,xxx family vacation pampered miles, so I like to think. But it really did run perfect.
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #238
JeepinJake75
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by north50 View Post
So here was the grill primed (sorry for crap iphone pics)

After first coat of Rust-oleum bed liner spray

Finished product, extremely happy with the out come and have already started on prepping the tailgate and rear corners to be painted with this stuff also.

Next I'll be putting my skills to the test as I plan on painting the rest of the Jeep body silver. As you can see the hood looks terrible and really there are issues all over the body. So a cheap paint job will help clean it up for sure. Also have just purchased all parts needed to redo brake system pads/rotors/calipers/drums etc.... I decided to hold off on the disco's and may opt for the Currie Anti-rock setup instead.
Great build thread!! I'm really wanting to paint my grill. What were your prep steps? did you sand to bare metal or do you just sand it a bit to scuff it up and then paint? Sorry if this has been asked,Im a noobie. Jake
[CENTER][B][FONT="Showcard Gothic"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #257 [/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="DarkRed"]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #654[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

"Would you please put some pants on? I feel weird having to ask you twice." - Phil Wenneck
JeepinJake75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #239
robbar25

Nice, rig.
robbar25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 06:35 AM   #240
north50

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJacob View Post
Great build thread!! I'm really wanting to paint my grill. What were your prep steps? did you sand to bare metal or do you just sand it a bit to scuff it up and then paint? Sorry if this has been asked,Im a noobie. Jake
I sanded it by hand and only enough to scuff up the clear coat. Then primed the surface let dry and sprayed on the bed liner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbar25 View Post
Nice, rig.
Thank You

Tags
4.88 , 5.2l v8 8.8 , manifold , mbrp , sye

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.