’97 TJ Frame Swap, My Trials and Tribulations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > ’97 TJ Frame Swap, My Trials and Tribulations

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
Corbie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

’97 TJ Frame Swap, My Trials and Tribulations

I will start with a little background. I started looking for a TJ in 2009. I thought that I could get a mildly built jeep cheaper then building it myself. I just need to find one that I would be happy with and was cheap enough for me to afford.

Funding and lack of automotive related tools were 2 reasons I wanted one already built. I have a mechanical background, but not in automotive industry. It has been over 20 years since I had done some serious wrenching on cars. Lately it had been oil and brake changes, and a Water pump on my XJ. I do not have an air compressor, air tools or a welder. I do not weld (yet).

I do have 20 years of working on helicopters.I have Friends that have built Jeeps from mild to wild buggies. I have access to a full machine shop with pipe benders to huge sheet metal breaks. Friends that can work miracles with sheet metal and fiberglass as well as other composites and I know guys that are welders by trade. I do not care about getting my hands dirty and I have an intense curiosity on how things work.

So onto the Jeep. The beginning of 2013 I have friends that are getting ready to move. He had just built a ’97 jeep with 4.0 engine 5 speed transmission and stock NP231 TC. He put a 4” rough Country Lift with adjustable control arms, on it with 33” tires. He put on a rear bumper w/ tire carrier and replaced the gas tank. It still had the stock Dana 30 front and and Dana 35 rear with 4.10 gears. The price is right, and better yet my wife wants the jeep too. I know there are some things that should get upgraded before hitting any trails to serious.

I start compiling a list of mods and upgrades I want for this jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.