97 TJ Build Thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 97 TJ Build Thread

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #61
joet7287
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, so many replys. I don't check my own thread enough. I've been all kinds of busy lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
nice jeep man..this really makes me want to rubberize my tub...even tho its in immaculate condition on the inside...when they say rubberize..does it mean that it feels like rubber..or is more of a solid kinda thing?..u can pm me if u want
It feels just like rubber, if you haven't already found that out at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TJdriver View Post
My personal opinion on the 3M Rubberizer.
I used that spray on rubberizer on my rockers right beneath to doors. It sprays on really nice and a good texture too. I really like how it looks and feels too. My only problem is that it is very soft, and you can basically scratch it off with your fingernail.
I plan on pulling my carpet in the summer and doing the same thing with the rust ( sanding it and rubberizer) but then putting back in the carpet after so I don't mind using the rubberizer. But if you plan on just using it to coat your floor like people do with hurculiner (which is much tougher) I would not suggest it being that your shoes will pretty much wear right through it and scrape it pretty fast.
That's pretty much all.

Oh and to the OP (Joet7287) I like your jeep and what you've done to it. Kinda looks like mine being that its blue and rusty lol.
Check my build, its still small and not really modded, but slowly movin up.

Also please post some more pictures.
I haven't had any problems with the rubberizer coming off except when you hit it with a decently sharp metal edge. We'll see if that continues or if I'll regret it. For now, it's better than it was.

I'm hoping mine doesn't stay rusty for too much longer.

I'll check your build thread when I'm done with my reply. Trust me, more pictures will come soon. I've got tons on the horizon and the new rear end guts are going in this coming weekend. (the only reason I haven't had many new pics lately is that I'm at college and, being broken, the Jeep is at home. Soon to change - the Jeep will be with me.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylerobichaud View Post
hey man any problems runnin the 12.50 on stock rims. rub much at full turn?
The rims aren't stock, just the suspension. My wheels have enough backspacing that they only rub very slightly at full turn.

More updates soon including replacement of the guts in the rear end and a coil spacer/shock extension lift. If the "coil spacer/shock extension" bit makes you curious just wtf I'm talking about, either stay tuned or ask me about it and I'll explain.

Thanks everyone for your interest.

My build
joet7287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 11:20 PM   #62
joet7287
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I found out this weekend that the rear end is more messed up than I thought. I also found out the frame is in worse shape than I thought. It's a mixed blessing. The Jeep won't see the road again for at least a year, but it'll be in great shape when I'm done with it.

New plan: when my dad's restoration shop is finished we're going to custom build a frame and do a complete body-off restoration. If I can find the right deals and get the money, the plan is to build a coil-over long arm lift, put in new front and rear ends, and put in a Cummins 3.9 Diesel, among other things (obviously, it's a Jeep - it's never done).

My build
Unread 04-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #63
MisterO

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet7287 View Post
I found out this weekend that the rear end is more messed up than I thought. I also found out the frame is in worse shape than I thought. It's a mixed blessing. The Jeep won't see the road again for at least a year, but it'll be in great shape when I'm done with it.

New plan: when my dad's restoration shop is finished we're going to custom build a frame and do a complete body-off restoration. If I can find the right deals and get the money, the plan is to build a coil-over long arm lift, put in new front and rear ends, and put in a Cummins 3.9 Diesel, among other things (obviously, it's a Jeep - it's never done).
WOW a whole nother year!!?? man thats crazy and to long.... but truth is it sounds like an awesome plan!
Good luck with all those plans and make sure to post what you do and alota pix!!
MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #64
dbarnhart4
1970 CJ5 

hey man this thing looks great
dbarnhart4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #65
joet7287
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I've decided to forgo the major modifications. I want to buy and restore a muscle car instead.

So this is the new plan for the Jeep:

New rear end guts - including: new gears (stock ratio), a rebuild kit, & a posi-traction differential
Remove the body
Sand blast, repair, & undercoat the frame
Body lift
4" RC lift
Custom long arms

Some pictures of the frame currently (the passenger side isn't quite as bad):

More pictures soon!

My build
Unread 05-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #66
MisterO

yo that frame is eaten up pretty bad!! your gonna need to replace that i think.. unless maybe replace a whole bunch of big ole chunks of it.
couple weeks ago a guy on the forum had a control arm just rip right out with the frame. not safe.
Good luck with it tho.
im so nervous about mine, i hope that doesnt happen
MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #67
joet7287
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TJdriver View Post
yo that frame is eaten up pretty bad!! your gonna need to replace that i think.. unless maybe replace a whole bunch of big ole chunks of it.
couple weeks ago a guy on the forum had a control arm just rip right out with the frame. not safe.
Good luck with it tho.
im so nervous about mine, i hope that doesnt happen
That's exactly why we're plating the frame. By plating I mean we're going to weld plates in the shape of the frame all the way down the side of it to reinforce it. That'll hold up fine, but until it's done the jeep is off the road.

My build
Unread 01-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #68
joet7287
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've been off JF for a while because the Jeep has been out of commission and I haven't had the time or money to work on it. I was just looking around out of boredom (and because I'm getting back to the Jeep soon) and found this:

Quote:
Well, I've decided to forgo the major modifications. I want to buy and restore a muscle car instead.

So this is the new plan for the Jeep:

New rear end guts - including: new gears (stock ratio), a rebuild kit, & a posi-traction differential
Remove the body
Sand blast, repair, & undercoat the frame
Body lift
4" RC lift
Custom long arms
Well I can certainly say that I won't be buying a muscle car any time soon. I bought a small business and I'm doing my best to make that work for me. Not only do I not have time for a muscle car on top of the Jeep and other hobbies, I can't even come close to saying I might have the money. Thank God I've already got the parts I need to fix my Jeep, now I just need a little help from a friend who knows what he's doing with my rear end situation. After the rear end is together and aligned, I just need to reinforce the frame, throw on some coil spacers and a BL while the Jeep is already apart, and I'll be back on the road in time for spring.

Here's hoping I don't have to amend this post in 6 months with another "oh well this didn't happen so here's the new plan..."

Happy Jeeping to those who have working Jeeps, and Happy Working to those who don't...

My build
Unread 01-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #69
RocknRubi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Stick with the jeep!
RocknRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #70
joet7287
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got to work on the Jeep on Saturday & Sunday. Got everything apart and found out that my rear end housing is not junk. I was pretty happy to find that out. Now I need to get the entire housing cleaned out and then it'll be time to put everything back together. No pics right now, but I'm definitely going to get some of the reassembly and of the horribly messed up parts.

As for the frame, I think I'm going to fork it out and have it professionally fixed. I'm not sure where that money's going to come from, but I'll figure something out so I can have my Jeep back for the summer. More updates next weekend.

My build
Unread 05-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #71
joet7287
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, The rear end is fixed. No pictures, but oh well. I was on a roll, too dirty to touch my camera, and just felt like getting it done. I'll probably take some pictures of the frame work though. I drove it home yesterday, and it felt amazing after being without it for over a year. Not much longer until it's in good enough shape to just drive it for the summer and wait till winter to do anything that will take more than a single afternoon.

My build
Unread 05-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #72
GDTIME
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not much longer until it's in good enough shape to just drive it for the summer and wait till winter to do anything that will take more than a single afternoon.
lifts can be done in an afternoon into evening
- (rōō'bĭ-kŏn') - A limit that when passed or exceeded permits of no return and typically results in irrevocable commitment.
Project "Apocolypse": http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/04-rubi-build-thread-609162/
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #69
GDTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #73
joet7287
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDTIME View Post
lifts can be done in an afternoon into evening
That's true, but you need money to do a lift. For now it's going to be a 2" coil spacer, since I can just make those down at the shop.

My build

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.