97 TJ Build Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 97 TJ Build Thread

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #16
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am subscribing so I can follow this thread. Looks like a fun project! Recently I saw a TJ locally that had serious rust issues around the tailgate hinges. I was shocked.

87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #17
UnderPar
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quite a bit of rust for a TJ. Gotta love living in the northeast. Road salt is one thing that I do not miss.
UnderPar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #18
joet7287
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So far I've fixed one of the two tail lights. I need to do the other one and make sure both are reliable though, so I've got the Dremel and a wire brush ready and I'm going to get bigger screws because the mounting holes are stripped.

Yesterday I removed the Alpine alarm system. I don't think it worked anyway, and it was just a lot of wires and taken up space. Here's a picture of the rat's nest that came out of it

(click free please?)

Also put a can of Fix-a-flat in each flat tire. So far it's holding. Fingers are crossed that it still does. (They need a fingers crossed smiley.)

My build

Last edited by joet7287; 10-24-2008 at 01:57 PM..
joet7287 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #19
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet7287 View Post
So far I've fixed one of the two tail lights. I need to do the other one and make sure both are reliable though, so I've got the Dremel and a wire brush ready and I'm going to get bigger screws because the mounting holes are stripped.

Yesterday I removed the Alpine alarm system. I don't think it worked anyway, and it was just a lot of wires and taken up space. Here's a picture of the rat's nest that came out of it

(click free please?)

Also put a can of Fix-a-flat in each flat tire. So far it's holding. Fingers are crossed that it still does. (They need a fingers crossed smiley.)
Here you are
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2008, 09:59 AM   #20
joet7287
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87warrior View Post
Here you are
Thanks

My build
Unread 10-17-2008, 09:20 PM   #21
joet7287
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Took the Jeep to a friend's shop today and had everything looked over. I need to clean up that rust on the frame and probably weld on a reinforcement plate, but that's not critical. A project for this winter.

In the immediate future, however, I need new tires, a speedo gear, and a new lower u-joint in the steering linkage.

Two of my current tires are basically junk and two are good. I'll be getting four 33x12.5R15 Hercules Trail Digger M/Ts and making the best BFG the spare.

As for the other BFG, I'll either stash it in the corner until I need it someday or I'll sell it if someone wants to make me an offer. It's 32x11.5R15. It's in decent condition and has some decent tread left. It would make a great spare. Why pay full price for a tire you'll rarely use?

I'll post pictures some time next week or weekend when the new tires are on.

My build
Unread 10-17-2008, 11:24 PM   #22
adurbin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Your a brave man. I cant wait to see how this turns out. That rust on the frame would have made me run away like a school girl from child molester.
Northeast Tennessee Jeep Club Member #1
adurbin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #23
joet7287
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Rubberized the interior today. Made a world of difference. Here are the before and afters.

Before:

This thing was so nasty underneath the console and in general.

After it was swept, but before rubberizer:

After:

Total cost:

About $33 for 4 cans of 3M Rubberized Undercoating and 1 roll of painters tape.

My build
Unread 10-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #24
jeeperkt
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet7287 View Post
Rubberized the interior today. Made a world of difference. Here are the before and afters.

Before:

This thing was so nasty underneath the console and in general.

After it was swept, but before rubberizer:

After:

Total cost:

About $33 for 4 cans of 3M Rubberized Undercoating and 1 roll of painters tape.
Unread 10-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #25
SOLIDJP44
2013 JK Wrangler 

that looks so much better, that carpet must have stunk

2011 GMC ALL/Terrain Sierra z71-Current

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #55
SOLIDJP44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #26
Jon08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Please let us all know how that 3M stuff works, how did you prep the surface and is it staying on well?

How does it compare to Herculiner and Duplicolor?
2008 Sahara Auto 2 Door 20,450 miles JKUR Coils and shocks, Magnaflow, Superchip, Banks CAI, Winch, OBA and 4:88's
Jon08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #27
joet7287
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon05Rubicon View Post
Please let us all know how that 3M stuff works, how did you prep the surface and is it staying on well?

How does it compare to Herculiner and Duplicolor?
I have a friend who rubberized his interior a while back, it's working out great. Conveniently I have another friend who Herculined his interior and he wishes he had used the rubberizer instead.

To prep I removed all of the rust, I spent a few hours with a corded drill with a wire wheel insert as well as an angle grinder. After that I wiped everything down with a damp cloth and then with a dry cloth to make sure there was nothing on the surface. After that I sprayed away. The rubberizer will stick to pretty much any surface.

Cheaper and better. I like that.

My build
Unread 10-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #28
joet7287
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So the Jeep is stuck at home this weekend. The shop it's sitting at is absolutely buried in work. My dad says there is (and I quote) "no chance in hell" that I'll get it for this weekend, but it'll be in for the beginning of next week.

It's really frustrating being without the Jeep. Even if it wasn't road-worthy, if it were here at school I could at least be wiring in some auxiliary lighting or something. Looks like it'll be a while before I have pictures up of the new tires.

My build
Unread 10-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #29
Squeeky
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Boy oh boy, all that rust could have been prevented if the dude would have only sprayed it off after dipping it in the salt water lol

My auto racing team (neat website lots of pictures)

Stu-offroad, A wealth of information on TJ's!

4x4xplor

Motor Oil Myths and Facts (Not sponsored by Amsoil)
Squeeky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2008, 07:35 PM   #30
heep2jeep
1999 WJ 

looks good with the rubberizer. is the $33 cost before or after you cashed in all the loose change?
heep2jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.