97 tj 5.9 unlimited build, Well if you want to call it that. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 97 tj 5.9 unlimited build, Well if you want to call it that.

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 07-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
jarrodblake
1997 LJ Wrangler 

97 tj 5.9 unlimited rebuild,

Well I thought I would start a Build thread, Well if you want to call it that. I Bought a built project/ wiring Nightmare. But be for I get in to the new project, I thought I would ramble on about my old jeeps... I'll start with my first love. It was a 79 cj7 that had more bondo then metal lol Bondo everywhere not that it needed it It did not have a lot of rust or anything. ever body line crack and place where a body panel met another it will filled with bonbo but enough talk about bondo and talking for that matter. I like pics!

The day I brought her home

The first time I took her out to play

started rebuilding her...

the day I sold it

Now moving on to my other old 97 tj less pics I was building a track car when I started on the old tj

The day I sold it

jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
jarrodblake
1997 LJ Wrangler 

Well now where finally At my current Bought built mess

Its a 97 tj that has been stretched to lj specs 3 link front and rear dana 44 up front dana 60 in the rear 4.56 gears 5.9 magnum swap with the 46re trans and stock np231 and a hack job of a wiring harness.

The day it came home.

started collecting parts out of the junk yard one door two smashed up fenders

The wring harness

Unread 07-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
jarrodblake
1997 LJ Wrangler 

Started highlining the fenders

Started shaving the fender lights

made grill mounts

Hood pins came in

Finishing up the body work

Unread 07-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
jarrodblake
1997 LJ Wrangler 

I tried to start it for the first time in over a month and its not getting spark. I can hear the fuel pump running. I may have pulled a wire loose in the harness as a few other things are not working. The voltage gauge is not coming on when the key is on the gas gauge is also not coming on it should be sitting at a little over half a tank and the tack is not moving when I try to turn it over So it looks like I will be pulling the harness tomorrow

Unread 07-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
jarrodblake
1997 LJ Wrangler 

Redid the wiring harness runs great now, however the trans is dead will not shift into 3rd and 4th so I will be saving up for a 5 speed swap

Unread 07-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Good looking rig , loved the old grille but they are hard to make fit . And your a better man than I am digging into that rats nest of wires ...
Unread 07-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
jarrodblake
1997 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Good looking rig , loved the old grille but they are hard to make fit . And your a better man than I am digging into that rats nest of wires ...
Thanks!, I do love the old grill it makes great wall art that said if it was a GPW Grille I would have made it fit. The wiring was a mess but other then the speedo everything works great.
Unread 07-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
jarrodblake
1997 LJ Wrangler 

It over heated over the weekend got up to 220 ish. I also bent the fender.

Today I fixed the overheating problem. I don't have a heater on the jeep yet and I have the line looped and it was getting air in it as it was sitting higher then the rest of the system, now it stays at 200*. I also fixed the fender and took a few more poser pics. I need to remember to remove the front sway bar.

Unread 07-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
jarrodblake
1997 LJ Wrangler 

This happened the other day

The trans cooler hose busted, I did not see it till I got back from washing the jeep out back.

Since there wasn't much trans fluid I thought I would drop the pan to see why I would not shift.

Found it, Oh look its my drive band!

Today I bought some more atf4 filled it up. I plan on doing a 5 speed swap on it down the road. The way I see it Ill wheel it till I cant.
Unread 07-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
jarrodblake
1997 LJ Wrangler 

got it stuck on a tree

Unread 07-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
KingSwing

Hey thats a really sweet 97 tj you had! could you tell me what kind of lift and tires were on it? and whered you get that sweet pioneer logo? thanks for your time!
-Nick
KingSwing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
jarrodblake
1997 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSwing View Post
Hey thats a really sweet 97 tj you had! could you tell me what kind of lift and tires were on it? and whered you get that sweet pioneer logo? thanks for your time!
-Nick
Thanks!, It had the rubicon express 6.5 long arm lift, I was running TSL 35x14.50x16 the logo was a nos pioneer edition comanche decal set that I had.
Unread 09-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed. Post info on the 5 speed swap.
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

looks fantastic, thank you so much for removing that willys grill. nothing against them but that did not belong on that jeep. looks 10000x better now
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
jarrodblake
1997 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
Subscribed. Post info on the 5 speed swap.
I will try to post up as much info as I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
looks fantastic, thank you so much for removing that willys grill. nothing against them but that did not belong on that jeep. looks 10000x better now
HaHa yea, It does look a lot better, however if it was a GPW grill I would have made it work. The 48 3b grill was just to tall.

I finely have most of my parts for the 5 speed swap. I went with the NV3500 trans out of a 02 dakota. This puts the shiftier a few more inches back from the 94-98? nv3500. I went with the summit racing flywheel and a autozone replacement clutch for the 5.9 magnum. I am experimenting with using a master and slave cylinder out of a 85 wagoneer as I don't like the plastic crap and it 1/3 of the price. Im also going to have to move the motor mounts a little over 2 inches back as the nv3500 out of the 02 dakota is a little over 2 inches shorter then the 46re. That said the 94+ nv3500 is about the same as the 46re. I will have to do some cutting and fitting of the firewall.

The NV3500

The new flywheel

New clutch

The new master cylinder, you can see I had to drill new holes but the linkage fits

Started to pull everything apart.

Engine and trans out!

Test fitting the flywheel

A few more shots of the slave and how I modded it. I still ned to make something like a spacer to keep it from moving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.