97 TJ 4.0L Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 97 TJ 4.0L Swap

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Nawarsaleh3

97 TJ 4.0L Swap

4.0L Swap Intead of the 2.5L

So i am ready to put this this 4.0L (98 Cherokee limited motor) in my 97 Tj... I am getting an Ax-15 delivered to me tomorrow But im not sure if i can use the same t-case.... i know the 4.0L comes with a 231 T case but so does my 2.5L. Are they interchangeable! I love this Jeep and it deserves to be brought back to live!!!

Also any recommendations on non so expensive after market mounts?
(Possibly avoiding any welding or cutting off old brackets??)

Nawarsaleh3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You will need to cut off the old mounts & weld the new mounts in.

iirc the t-case on the 2.5L auto (30rh) is 23 spline & 2.5L manual (ax5) is 21 spline
& the ax15 will be 23 spline.

Is the ax15 from a Cherokee too? If it is, the clocking for the t-case as set by the transmission will need to be changed by redrilling the mounting holes in the trans.

Do you have a 4.0 ecu? Engine harness? Etc...

Search the swap & there's a very good write-up by RnEmOvr (or whatever his name is...I can never remember it exactly)

Edit: I've done the swap, but put in a stroker. Depending on how far into this swap you are....I would highly recommend doing a 5.2 or 5.9 from a dodge.

I love my stroker swap, but don't know if I'd ever recommend doing a 2.5L to 4.0L swap. Some specific cases that's the best route, but most of the time a 5.2 or 5.9 is going to be a better route when swapping out the 2.5L...imo

Pm a mod...this thread should probably be in tj tech. You'll get more answers there

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Nawarsaleh3

i haven't not gotten started on the swap yet, i bought a totaled 98 Cherokee and removed the engine and transmission, but the trans. was an auto,my 97 is 5 speed. so if i decided to go with a dodge engine instead, i would safe cutting out mounts,transmissions?

only reason why i thought of swapping a 4.oL because i live in Cali and wanted to get it bar'd for legit smogs.
The 5.2 or 5.9 what year vehicles can they be found in?
Unread 11-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawarsaleh3 View Post
i haven't not gotten started on the swap yet, i bought a totaled 98 Cherokee and removed the engine and transmission, but the trans. was an auto,my 97 is 5 speed. so if i decided to go with a dodge engine instead, i would safe cutting out mounts,transmissions?

only reason why i thought of swapping a 4.oL because i live in Cali and wanted to get it bar'd for legit smogs.
The 5.2 or 5.9 what year vehicles can they be found in?
What I was saying is that with either a 4.0 or a v8 you will need new mounts, new engine harness, new trans, new ecu. You'll basically need the same amount of parts swapping to a 6 out an 8.

I honestly don't know the years...or the exact laws in California, but I'd be willing to bet whatever yearr the engine is has to be the same year as your jeep, or newer.

I can't link things from my phone, but if you search TJ 5.2 or TJ 5.9 swap there's lots of info on the swap.

I would think it wouldn't be too bad to get setup properly for emissions with another Chrysler/dodge motor in there.

My main point is, you pretty much need the same amount of parts to swap a 4.0 as a 5.2 or 5.9 & all three of those motors are Chrysler/Dodge & can all be found fairly easily...so why not choose a v8 from those options.

Additionally, whatever you do, sans just dropping in another 2.5L, you'll need to change the trans. The ax5 that you have now won't hold up behind a 6 or an 8 cylinder.

Considering you already have the Cherokee...you may just want to go with that.

I believe the belt routing/alternator location in 98 puts the alternator very low. That will have to be changed out it will hit the frame on your tj...but I think you can use a tj alternator bracket to fix that.

You'll need a tj 4.0 ecu for an auto or manual..whichever way you decide on the trans. Idk, maybe you could get the xj ecu to work?...but idk.

You can use the t-case out of the Cherokee, but if you use the trans from the Cherokee you will need to change the clocking for the t-case (from 23 degrees to 13)

Search the 5.2/5.9 swap & the aw4 (trans) swap for info on all this.

Good luck

Sent by a messenger bird
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Nawarsaleh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
What I was saying is that with either a 4.0 or a v8 you will need new mounts, new engine harness, new trans, new ecu. You'll basically need the same amount of parts swapping to a 6 out an 8.

I honestly don't know the years...or the exact laws in California, but I'd be willing to bet whatever yearr the engine is has to be the same year as your jeep, or newer.

I can't link things from my phone, but if you search TJ 5.2 or TJ 5.9 swap there's lots of info on the swap.

I would think it wouldn't be too bad to get setup properly for emissions with another Chrysler/dodge motor in there.

My main point is, you pretty much need the same amount of parts to swap a 4.0 as a 5.2 or 5.9 & all three of those motors are Chrysler/Dodge & can all be found fairly easily...so why not choose a v8 from those options.

Additionally, whatever you do, sans just dropping in another 2.5L, you'll need to change the trans. The ax5 that you have now won't hold up behind a 6 or an 8 cylinder.

Sent by a messenger bird

i understand hwat your saying but i wasnt thinking and already stripped the 4.0 +harness+ ecu out so i guess im stuck with it now

Any after market sites for mounts? the dealer is asking ridicoulous amounts for 4.0 full set mounts!
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawarsaleh3 View Post

i understand hwat your saying but i wasnt thinking and already stripped the 4.0 +harness+ ecu out so i guess im stuck with it now

Any after market sites for mounts? the dealer is asking ridicoulous amounts for 4.0 full set mounts!
I would check with jeepsareus.com; they still oem stuff & seem to be reasonably priced.

If that fails, maybe find a local welder to weld some up, I don't think there's any aftermarket support for those.

Sent by a messenger bird
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I went back & edited my post up there

Sent by a messenger bird
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Oh & if it were me (idk how much you enjoy manual trans), I would try to find an ax15 or another tj trans...but I like manual trans.
Ax15s from yjs, xjs & tjs will work...& I believe some trucks. You just want an ax15 from 94+

Also, I can't see the yr of your jeep from my phone, but if your jeep is older than 98 that 98 4.0 swap will be probably be illegal in your state

Sent by a messenger bird
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
Nawarsaleh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
Oh & if it were me (idk how much you enjoy manual trans), I would try to find an ax15 or another tj trans...but I like manual trans.
Ax15s from yjs, xjs & tjs will work...& I believe some trucks. You just want an ax15 from 94+

Also, I can't see the yr of your jeep from my phone, but if your jeep is older than 98 that 98 4.0 swap will be probably be illegal in your state

Sent by a messenger bird
mine is a 97 also

no i definitely want to stick with the 5 speed!!! so time to start looking for that Ax-15. and good thing i still have my wrangler's 2.5L so i can use the alternator bracket.

I guess this is finally happening!
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

& 2 more of my cents:

If you are doing the 4.0, look into putting an oem style 2 piece exhaust manifold on.

You will need a new manifold & head pipe regardless & that is the best setup in terms of resisting cracking. If you go that route, get a head/down pipe for a 2000 Tj w/out ca emissions...walker makes one that rock auto carries

Oh & you do not need the oil filter angle bracket thing on the motor, I'd take that off before it goes in the TJ

Sent by a messenger bird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.