97 TJ on 35s - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 97 TJ on 35s

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #331
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got some tie-downs and ratchet straps from Lowe's the other day to be able to secure the spare and other things in the tub. I put a tie down in each corner of the bed.

Also because of a shipping error I am missing my clubs annual wheeling event to RC this weekend because my Metalcloak CA's won't be here, and I don't want to risk ripping my other front lower axle side mount off with the RC arms. Sucks because that was my only chance to wheel this summer.

Unread 08-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #332
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got the MC arms in the other day.

I was able to swap out the front 4 arms Wednesday. As the following pictures will show, the RC arms flex-joints and bushings gave out within the 3 years they were on, even with being greased.

It's hard to tell in this picture but this bushing is all cracked and ruined.

This is a video showing the play in the driver side upper flex-joint. Obviously this contributed to my rough ride.

My front driver side UCA bushing on the axle end isn't helping:

Front arms in:

I took it for a test drive Wednesday night with just the front set swapped. It was a dramatic difference in ride quality. The front end floated over bumps in the road, and the rear still took jarring hits.

Yesterday I was able to swap the rear arms out.

Here is a picture of the old, POS RC arms.

Also, an interesting difference between the arms. Look at the size of the shank for the RC UCA's vs. the MC. I always thought they looked small, but figured it may just be that way for all manufacturers. Obviously not..

After getting the rear arms in, I drove it again and the difference is amazing. I finally feel like I have a great ride and it just absorbs the bumps in the road. I don't receive jarring shocks each time I go over a pot hole. The Duroflex joints provide a much better ride than the RC poly bushings and X-Flex joints. Also, I probably won't have to worry about ripping a CA bracket off now because these are softer than the poly bushings in the RC arms. I can ride comfortable in the Jeep now.
Unread 11-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #333
Cavasar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good man
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #334
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavasar View Post
Looks good man
Thanks

Haven't done much lately since being at school. Switched the soft top out for the hard top when I went home a few weekends ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.