97 TJ on 35s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 97 TJ on 35s

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

97 TJ on 35s

ok I guess its time to make a build thread.

My parents bought this 97 TJ from Manassas Chrysler/Jeep in July of 2008 to be my 1st vehicle. I can't thank them enough for that. It was about 6 months before I would get my license. Here's a pic of it after getting washed- (sorry for the bad cell pic, thats what a lot of them will be in this thread)

Once I got my license in February 2009 I got a job also. I started researching lifts, armor, etc so I could start to wheel the jeep. Fast forward to November 2009 and I had enough money and so I bought a rough country 4" x series lift with all adjustable CA's and TB's. 1.25" bl and 1"mml as well. 5 35x12.5 km2s and 5 15x8 soft 8s. The tires were backordered so I had to wait about 2 months to get them. My dad didn't think we could install it so he said as my christmas present he would pay to have it installed. Once the tires came the lift was done in Jan 2010.

Over Christmas break I had made some more money from work and so I ordered front and rear bumpers from Eddie (BESRK)/Ground Pounder Fab.

After the lift was installed I obviously had vibes which I knew I would and so I bought a sye/ Tom Woodscv shaft. Again my dad didn't think we could install it so I took it to C&P Offroad and they did it. Then about a week later after the 2 ft snow storm in Feb 2010 I went down and met Eddie and picked up my bumpers. I highly reccomend using his business Ground Pounder Fab hes a great guy and will build you top notch bumpers at the cheapest prices.

Some time around then I ordered a Rokmen steering box skid and a front d30 riddler cover

I think it was about April 2010 I painted my faded grey fender flares.

Installed Cobra 75 cb that has all of the controls in the mic so I could easily lock it up when doorless/topless.
Then in May I went to the NVJA show and shine and the week after went on the NTJR to flagpole

A couple weeks after that I went on a peters mill ride

After that ride I ordered an engine skid. Even though you donít really need it for trails like flagpole and peters mill, this should be 1 of your 1st mods. I ordered the UCF aluminum skid

Next mod was to bedline the tub. I did this with monstaliner and rolled it on.
Tub stripped and vacuumed/washed

Sanded

After wiping down with MEK

And its on

Jay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I didn’t do the best job ever and theres a couple runs and corners where it was hard to get with the brush but it does what I want. When it rains or theres mud in the floorboards I can pull the plugs and wash/drain it out.

Next was my 2nd big purchase for my Jeep. I ordered a ford 8.8 rear axle and a hp30 front axle with 4.56 gears from East Coast Gear Supply. They have great customer service and I’d highly recommend them for any drivetrain needs. Chase will give you a good price. I couldn’t afford lockers at the time so I got them open/open. Also ordered lubelockers for both and a UCF cover for the 8.8

Well I tried to do the axle swap of the 8.8 sometime in late July 2010 but when I went to put the jeep down on the Craftsman jack stands, the jackstands failed and the jeep fell so then I decided I would wait until after Camp Heep to swap both axles.

Went on a night ride to flagpole about 2 weeks before CH.

Then came Camp Heep at Rausch Creek. I went in a group and we ran all blue trails. It was a great time and it really got me hooked on wheeling. After that trip I loved rocks and I couldn’t wait to get back and wheel thru more stuff like that.

The weekend after CH I swapped the 8.8 in without any major issues.

The illness called a D35

After swapping the 8.8 I ordered a set of Savvy chromoly rock sliders for rocker protection and because the tube steps that were on there hang so low that they get hung up in the rocks. Also ordered currie HD steering from Savvy at the same time to be put in with my hp30. Sorry no good pics of just the rockers
Unread 03-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It was a few months before I had time to put the hp30 in with school starting but I finally did In Oct 2010 on my birthday.

After both axles were in I missed the NOVA Fall Krawl to the cove because I got the hp30 in the weekend before the ride and then I couldn’t make the thanksgiving recovery ride to RC because of work.

I thought I was going to start saving for a sport bike for Summer 2011 so I didn’t buy any more mods really.

Next ride was a snow trip to Rausch in January 2011. It was a good ride with about 6-8” of snow everywhere and some big drifts in spots. I had to pull a 2wd tow rig into his parking spot in the RC lot so you know it was gonna be a good day.

I hit the rear driver corner of my hardtop on a tree when I slid sideways off a rock.
Unread 03-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice build. Keep it going. Looks like a great place to wheel.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

After that ride the money I was saving started burning a hole in my pocket so I scrapped the bike idea and bought an aussie locker for the 30, RCV shafts, warn m8000, currie antirock, and alloy usa outer tube seals. This was all in February 2011

Antirock installed

M8000 installed

Aussie in the carrier

RCV shafts/ alloy usa tube seals in

Next was a NOVA ride to Crozet in Feb 2011 and that was an awesome time. Crozet has everything to offer and youll have a good time there no matter what. They have all of the rocks you could want to wheel on. I loved the place..took some damage and got close to rolling it but its all fun. I was also pleased with how the antirock and the new aussie worked. Definite improvement with the front locked and more stable with the antirock.

Here’s the dented windshield frame and the cracked hardtop. I need to stop wheeling with the hardtop…

And so that brings us up to present time. Things on my to do list are to order a TT and GTS

Will be going with the UCF ultra high clearance aluminum TT and the Savvy GTS.

After those 2 things I want to lock the 8.8 and maybe throw the super 88 kit in it. I’ll either do a Detroit or ARB. The gears that are in there now have a 5 year warranty from ECGS though and they were just set up less than 10k miles ago so itll kind of suck to have to void that and have to pay labor to have the new locker installed but itll really help the offroad performance.
Then really all I can see right now is a full cage (probably have to get aftermarket seats too then) and rear corners.
The thing about getting the cage is I still need to be street legal for now and I need atleast a hardtop to fit since its my dd for now. I don’t really see it becoming a trail only rig until I get out of college and can buy a diesel truck/trailer to tow it. But ive been looking at different cage designs a lot and researching so that may happen sometime this summer. May have Chris at Rock Works Fab from RCPFA build it for me. And it will definitely be tied into the frame at the 6 spots.

Ill either be going to Penn State next year or VT so not too far from RC and Crozet, etc

I ordered the savvy GTS and UCF 1" deep 1/4" alum TT last week and they will both be coming this week. I'll put them on 2 weeks from now because I'm going to wheel at Rausch next weekend. Also got a tree saver and snatch block in the mail the other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Very nice build. Keep it going. Looks like a great place to wheel.
Thanks man. If you mean Crozet- it really is a great wheeling park. The trails are all obstacles and technical areas instead of having easy stuff in between the obstacles like you see at other parks. I really like that idea because you get more good wheeling in where as at places like Rausch Creek you have to take greens to get to the other blacks.
Unread 03-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
evolution
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i thought i saw your jeep down there.. i was there with the green cj8 buggy and a few freinds.. didnt get a chance to wheel with all you guys.. we was running late to get in line..
97 TJ, custom long arm, custom tri link rear, 44 front-9in rear, Detroit and Yukon lockers, 4:88s, 37" bfg's ,tube fenders and crusher corners, process never ends...
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/evolutions-97-tj-1061890/[/url]
evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
JerzeyBoyWJ
2003 WJ 

nice tj man..hows the 4.0l handle those 35s with the 4.56s?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jerzeyboy-03-wj-build-1155698/
JerzeyBoyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
frAnken_rubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice build. Was nice riding with you at crozet.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/frankin_rubi-tj-build-1140219
frAnken_rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution View Post
i thought i saw your jeep down there.. i was there with the green cj8 buggy and a few freinds.. didnt get a chance to wheel with all you guys.. we was running late to get in line..
That was a nice buggy you guys had..i liked the lime green paint. I think it was called the Hard Rock trail we watched you guys run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyBoyWJ View Post
nice tj man..hows the 4.0l handle those 35s with the 4.56s?
The 4.0 with 4.56 and 35s is good and I have the 32rh 3 spd auto tranny. However I run about 3250 RPMs at 70mph which is high, maybe thats because the 35 km2s run low on size? Im not sure but it works well for wheeling. And it keeps up easily on the highway in wind/hills/etc. If you're wondering for gearing for your 42rle youll want as deep as you can go for gears because that 4 spd auto tranny has a terrible OD ratio (.69) so youll want 5.13 or 5.38 if you have a front/rear axle capable of going that deep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frAnken_rubi View Post
Nice build. Was nice riding with you at crozet.
You too man, you going down there on the weekend of april 9-10?
Unread 03-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #10
JerzeyBoyWJ
2003 WJ 

normaly the WJs with 35s run 4:56 thats the deepest i can go

Unread 03-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
normaly the WJs with 35s run 4:56 thats the deepest i can go
You can go to 4.88 with a d30/35 combo.
Unread 03-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
JerzeyBoyWJ
2003 WJ 

ill be getting a dana44a... no way ill run the 35 with 35s

Unread 03-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #13
stefanhinote
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Love how clean your jeep is, sucks about all the dents and smashing the hard top.

Guess it's outta the way now
stefanhinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #14
evolution
1997 TJ Wrangler 

you goin on the EOD run in may... im goin to try to make it down..
97 TJ, custom long arm, custom tri link rear, 44 front-9in rear, Detroit and Yukon lockers, 4:88s, 37" bfg's ,tube fenders and crusher corners, process never ends...
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/evolutions-97-tj-1061890/[/url]
evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #15
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ill be getting a dana44a... no way ill run the 35 with 35s
That's definately a good plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanhinote View Post
Love how clean your jeep is, sucks about all the dents and smashing the hard top.

Guess it's outta the way now
Yeah Im ok with it though, not worried about winning any best paint shows anytime soon or anything. The dents and everything is part of the fun of the sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution View Post
you goin on the EOD run in may... im goin to try to make it down..
If that's the wounded warrior run on the 20-22 yeah ill probably try to make it down there on sat/sun

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.