Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

97 Sahara (My first build)

10K views 58 replies 20 participants last post by  hatfield44 
#1 · (Edited)
I just started my first automotive build of any kind. It is a 1997 Sahara edition TJ. It was purchased new in 97 by my ole' ladies father to be used as a work vehicle (transportation too and from the mines). He gave the jeep to her when she was 15 and it was her DD for ~ 9 years. I just recently purchased a new car for her to drive: so we had this Jeep sitting around in good shape. The Jeep has ~ 92,000 miles, but has been well maintained. It has always been well cared for, and only seen Mopar oil and filters. The only time it has spent off-road is here recently; since it is no longer a DD.
Here are some pics of what I am starting with.:2thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I have been hoarding up parts for a while now, but am still missing a few. I got tired of waiting so I finally got started. So far I have the following parts.
4" RC springs and 2.2 shocks / stabilizer
Full set of Currie JJ CA's
Currie JJ Track bars
Extended Sway bar links
Currie Bump stop kit
RC Stainless Brake lines
RC TC drop (will be adding SYE and CV once funding recovers)
RC winch plate
XRC8
Pro-Comp 15x10 soft 8s
**** Cepek Crushers 33x12.50

Here is everything in the bed of my truck the morning I started

#4 · (Edited)
The first day I got a fair amount accomplished. The Jeep wasn't near as rusty as what I had expected, but the old hardware was still somewhat a pain to remove. Had to cut the nut off the tops of the shocks, but everything else came off "OK".
I had to cut the bolt too the drivers side UCA also.

I managed to get the shocks out, sway bar links (front and rear) and front track bar out by about mid-day.
Here are some pics of the progress.

#7 ·
Very nice, that jeep is really clean and think it will look sweet with all those goodies

#18 ·
I tightened the front sway bar links, but decided to set the toe and re-center the wheel after I get the back up.
I removed both shocks and springs, and the passenger side control arms. I Got the new lowers in, but have to: drill out the uppers' mounts and put in CA, do the driver's side CA's, put in the springs and shocks, and mont the trackbar.
Forgot the camera today, but will get more pics tomorrow.

#21 ·
This evening I got the drivers side control arms switched, and the axle side of the Passenger UCA Drilled out to fit the new hardware. I was only able to get one side of the frame mount drilled, because the bit was to short to go through the hole in the frame and both side of the mount. Couldn't get the drill to it from the other side because of the muffler. I'm going to try and find a longer bit or extension so I don't have to drop the muffler (it's original and I don't think it would survive).

#22 ·
quick question how far down did you have to let the axle down in order to swap in the new springs. i just bought new 3" springs and am installing them this weekend. thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.