96 XJT Salvage Project - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 96 XJT Salvage Project

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 01-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #16
teamgreen666
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinjesse
My intentions are to build a tire carrier into the rear cage
Cool I'm digging this rig and would like one for myself as a trail rig

teamgreen666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #17
ZSXJ430

I want to see the finished product. Looking good thus far and that was a steal of a purchase price.
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:53 PM   #18
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If I had an XJ I would chop it like that too. Sick.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:43 AM   #19
kleinjesse

It will most likely be "finished" in May/June. I only get to work on it on Saturdays. for about 5-7 hours a day. I just got my rear and front bumpers in today. I also had the lady come by and give me an estimate on the soft top for the rear. Hopefully this Saturday we can get the rear bumper installed and adjusted. I also want to try to get the front end aligned a little bit better. I am also on the look out for a Jeep tailgate. I want a tailgate that has an embossed "JEEP" logo. I think MJ, CJ7, CJ5, and the DJ5 rear door has what I need. All I need is the panel, we will be building the actual tailgate. I actually have a project list for the XJ. I will post up the link in a few.

Last edited by kleinjesse; 01-07-2014 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: typo's
kleinjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #20
kleinjesse

Here is the project list. This will give you a taste of where I am going. Also has a "Cost" Column.

XJT Project List
Unread 01-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #21
kleinjesse

I have good news and bad news. The good news, it will be 70 tomorrow. The bad news, someone accidentally scrapped all my metal I had horded for the Jeep. So tomorrow I have to go pick up some 3/4" square tubing so we can start making the tailgate/frame. Also planning on mounting the new rear and front bumpers. cleaning up some bed liner dripping/running. I am also fixing wiper linkage on my commuter Honda. Installing brakes and a headliner on my fabrication partners Accord, so we might not get as much done as I would like. Look for pictures come Monday.
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #22
kleinjesse

Update: 1/13/14

Worked on the XJ a little bit Saturday. Had several other projects going on at the same time, but still managed to make some progress.

Purchased a front stinger bumper from Affordable Offroad. Looked great, welds were great, very cost effective. I bought this as a base. I will be mounting a winch plate to it and building some grille guards for it. and a couple other small things.

Once we got the other projects finished it was about 1:00. So I immediately started with the rear bumper, as this would require the most alignment. I don't remember if I mentioned that I bought the OR-FAB rear bumper or not. This bumper is much beefier than I thought it would be. I had a trailer hitch so I had to go buy different bolts than what comes will it. My XJ also had some rear damage, so once I got the brackets and everything mounted, I had to use my BFH to motivate the brackets to line up with the bumper. Took about 3 swings on each side and all of the holes lined up perfectly.

We had already etched primed the front bumper and shot it with a coat of Rust Oleum gloss black. At $11 a quart you really can't go wrong. While waiting on the paint to dry we started welding up the "roof rack". These are hitch mount cooler racks. They were the right length and the right width and best of all, they were free. They aren't the prettiest or the most square things I have ever seen, but they will hold gear. We got them level and as even as possible and started welding.

Ran out of grinding discs so we just tossed the rack on the roof while I debate on its positioning. I am still not 100% on where it will end up. Perhaps y'all could suggest? I played with it biased towards the rear and towards the front but I think I found a happy medium. Here are some pics of the "debate".

Have not quite figured out how I want to mount it, but I will worry about that later.

I really wanted to get the front bumper on there, so I could see if the winch plate would work. Unfortunately the bumper was still sticky. So I did what anyone would do, threw on some nitrile gloves and mounted it anyway. Fit Great. It is just "hanging" there on loose bolts for the moment.

Hopefully next week, we can get the front end "aligned", roof rack mounted, winch plate mocked up, door panels off. We might even start getting into the "final body work". All of the doors are dented right at the body lines. Nothing a little beating and banging wont fix. Luckily for me, I get to sand the whole jeep with 80 grit. I am going to be spraying it with a textured coating, followed with a couple coats of Rust Oleum flat sand.
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #23
teamgreen666
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinjesse
Update: 1/13/14 Worked on the XJ a little bit Saturday. Had several other projects going on at the same time, but still managed to make some progress. Purchased a front stinger bumper from Affordable Offroad. Looked great, welds were great, very cost effective. I bought this as a base. I will be mounting a winch plate to it and building some grille guards for it. and a couple other small things. Once we got the other projects finished it was about 1:00. So I immediately started with the rear bumper, as this would require the most alignment. I don't remember if I mentioned that I bought the OR-FAB rear bumper or not. This bumper is much beefier than I thought it would be. I had a trailer hitch so I had to go buy different bolts than what comes will it. My XJ also had some rear damage, so once I got the brackets and everything mounted, I had to use my BFH to motivate the brackets to line up with the bumper. Took about 3 swings on each side and all of the holes lined up perfectly. We had already etched primed the front bumper and shot it with a coat of Rust Oleum gloss black. At $11 a quart you really can't go wrong. While waiting on the paint to dry we started welding up the "roof rack". These are hitch mount cooler racks. They were the right length and the right width and best of all, they were free. They aren't the prettiest or the most square things I have ever seen, but they will hold gear. We got them level and as even as possible and started welding. Ran out of grinding discs so we just tossed the rack on the roof while I debate on its positioning. I am still not 100% on where it will end up. Perhaps y'all could suggest? I played with it biased towards the rear and towards the front but I think I found a happy medium. Here are some pics of the "debate". Have not quite figured out how I want to mount it, but I will worry about that later. I really wanted to get the front bumper on there, so I could see if the winch plate would work. Unfortunately the bumper was still sticky. So I did what anyone would do, threw on some nitrile gloves and mounted it anyway. Fit Great. It is just "hanging" there on loose bolts for the moment. Hopefully next week, we can get the front end "aligned", roof rack mounted, winch plate mocked up, door panels off. We might even start getting into the "final body work". All of the doors are dented right at the body lines. Nothing a little beating and banging wont fix. Luckily for me, I get to sand the whole jeep with 80 grit. I am going to be spraying it with a textured coating, followed with a couple coats of Rust Oleum flat sand.
Looking good and along nicely. I don't like the look with the basket over hanging the rear part of the roof even with the roof line looks a lot better. Liking the bumpers. Do you think the front end will drop some with putting a winch up front? Maybe a 1inch coils spacer would help with the weight on the front end.
teamgreen666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #24
kleinjesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgreen666 View Post
Looking good and along nicely. I don't like the look with the basket over hanging the rear part of the roof even with the roof line looks a lot better. Liking the bumpers. Do you think the front end will drop some with putting a winch up front? Maybe a 1inch coils spacer would help with the weight on the front end.
My jeep has like a 2" coil spacer and rear AAL. My parts Jeep has like a 2" lift spring and a 1" block in the rear. I am going to be piecing both lifts together along with maybe shackles to try to get it leveled out. But I think the weight of the rear bumper and rear cage will equal out the weight of the front bumper and winch. so I am not to worried about it
Unread 01-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #25
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Great work here man! Keep it up!
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #26
kleinjesse

Update 1/20/14:

Got some work done on the XJ this past Saturday. It was time to finish up the tailgate frame. We decided to cut into the uni-body to make the tailgate frame more angular. We used 3/4" square tubing to start building the frame.

We quickly realized we should have started from the bottom and worked up. My XJ had seen some rear damaged. I have wasted a couple hours trying to pound/pull out the rear to no avail. I need something to cover up all the damage and be a nice platform for the tailgate. I was trying to procure some 4" channel, when I realized that I had stock TJ bumpers. After some quick measurements we realized that they would be perfect. So we laid out the lines and made the cuts.

The channel slid right into place. We could have taken more time to get the cuts just right, but we can put in a patch later.

After 30 minutes in the hardware store. I had decided on the hinges. I got the nutserts to mount in the channel, and the stainless screws to mount the hinges. I also decided to use some barrel bolts and rubber stoppers to secure the tailgate in the "up" position. I welded them into place, but I think I will cut them back out going forward until we get the skin on.

I absolutely hated the pinch weld that was left after we installed the channel. So we cut it out and welded in some 1" angle in its place.

We started taking some more measurements and cut the rest on the tubing and welded everything else up.

I have been trying to find a CJ5, DJ5, CJ7, Comanche tailgate (skin) since November. I really want to have an embossed "Jeep" logo in the tailgate. I have not had any luck so far. If I cant find one by this Saturday, I am just going to have vinyl letters cut for it. Even though you wont see it after the rear stinger is installed, I still want it there for aesthetics.

I have also decided to do a "quick mod" every Saturday. This weeks "quick mod" was to mount a cleat on the hood. Why? Because the hood release mechanism on my hood was so rusty that it would not function. So once we get the front end re-aligned and the hood painted, I will be installing hood pins. This will make it nearly impossible to open the hood without the use of some helper springs which I do not plan to add. this will also be a good tie down point for limb risers. Though I may end up using the headlight guard bars (yet to be added).

Hopefully this Saturday we can get the roof rack mounted, tailgate skinned, and make various plates and panels to clean up and finish the rear end. I estimate paint by end of February, depending on the weather.

Last edited by kleinjesse; 01-20-2014 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: images
Unread 01-20-2014, 10:29 PM   #27
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

that is looking real nice my friend
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #28
kleinjesse

Just purchased a new Smittybilt XRC 8 winch. I also did my taxes. Should be more that enough to get all my tubing bent and welded up.

Last edited by kleinjesse; 01-27-2014 at 07:18 AM..
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #29
kleinjesse

Update 1/27/14:

Was able to work on the XJ this Saturday, despite the snow and cold. This weekend's focus was to try to get the front end aligned and finished up. We started by aligning the fenders to the doors, then aligning the grille to the Fenders, then center the hood between the fenders and cowl/grille. Once all was well, We tightened everything back up.

Since the latching mechanism on my parts hood was pretty much rusted useless. I decided to just go with hood pins. I bought some $10 black aluminum hood pins, big mistake. I had to file and file and test. Then file some more, to even get the pins to slide in the channels. we still have functionality issues. Once we removed the Body side latching mechanism, we just drilled out the stock holes a bit and mounted the pins. We marked the underside of the hood, and carefully drilled the holes with a step bit. This was necessary as the hood was double paneled in that section. The paint sticks were used for shims to keep the hood at the correct level. More on this later.

Once we had them installed we tried to use the factory bump-stop to keep the hood at the right level. Since the bump-stop was in the middle of the hood. We kept having issues with the hood sagging at the edges. This caused the pins to get bound up. Not a problem. Quick run to the hardware store and we got some eye bolts. They are going to serve double duty, they will serve as lower limb riser mounts and they help lift the sag out of the edges of the hood to allow it to be lifted easily. I also space the rear of the hood up 1"

I finally got my hands on some head light buckets. I have been searching and searching and it finally paid off. I am almost positive that square headlights were an after thought on the XJ. Once you pull out the square headlight bucket you are left with a round opening. We disassembled the buckets, shot them with some black and bolted them in.

I was so busy doing and engineering on the fly. I didn't take nearly as many process pictures as I should have. The buckets were made to bolt right in. We did not modify the grille shell one bit. We did had to trim the metal bar above it to clear the bezels. This is a super easy modification. I do not know why more people do not do it. Ohh and do not worry. I wont be installing blue headlights into the jeep.

If you are paying attention, you can see a sneak peak of the color on the underside of the hood. We hope to get all of the body works done this weekend. We plan to paint it on Feb 8th. Still going with the textured tan.
Unread 01-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #30
LukeRabe
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Those lights are so sweet man, great work! This thing is already looking a ton better
LukeRabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.